Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who has a Dubow 20960?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

I am on the wait-list for a Goodwear A-2 and after changing my mind about 10 times, I'm leaning now towards the Dubow 20960, their first contract, because of its collar stand, beautiful silhouette and classy, vintage look. I'm wondering if anybody has one of John's Dubow 20960s or an original and what they think of the fit. I'm a little nervous about the trim fit, but John says with the right sizing, it is comfortable, and the look is classic. I'm tall and fairly fit. Thank you.

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks. Good catch. Looks sharp, and I love the silhouette. I'm sold.

Vonron82

New in Town
Hello.. Can anyone help me with some info (or any at all ) on the dubow 20960 jacket in regards to fit?
I am finally able to buy one after after a lifetime of just looking at them.

But i dread the thought of paying all that money and waiting for so long (in and around 1 year from goodwear leather)
of it being the wrong fit

I love the sharp shouldered look as opposeed to a round shoulder look.
I absolutely love how Jack Nicholsons looks in one flew over the cuckoo nest!

So any info at all will be greatly appreciated.. Thank you

devilish

A-List Customer
I am pretty sure Mac's jacket in that movie is an AN-J3 (and a civilian version. Seem to remember it has hand warmer pockets?) At the very least it's not an A-2. No epaulettes and an action back. However, if you do want an A-2 then you can't really go wrong with one of John's 20960's. Pay close attention to John's advice on sizing and fit and you should be just fine.

IMG_1080.JPG

Me in mine from a few years back. John has tweaked the pattern ever so slightly since then but you get the idea.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Oh, don't I know it! In my weaker moments, I also look at the Monarch, the Dubow with purple knits, a 27752, while Joel Shapiro has also chucked the Doniger into the mix as well. That said, whenever I run through the list, I still come back to the 23379...

That's the issue with the GW wait - you get way too much time to change your mind 100 times before it's D-Day. There's something good about having to decide quickly and just doing it.

AdeeC

Practically Family
One thing about A2 jacket contracts is that the earlier ones have more refined detail and complex construction whilst many of the later ones are simplified as much as possible due to wartime necessity. That may be a consideration for some.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, collar stands go out the window pretty quickly. Am I wrong in thinking that later contracts tend to be a bit roomier too? Can only imagine that was a way of making it easier to get a 'there-or-thereabout' fit, rather than needing to be precise with slimmer fit.
And yes, too many options and far too long to consider them plays merry hell with your OCD. As it is, I've got a whole lotta time to go before my time comes up!

The GW Perry I had was simply the nicest A-2 I've ever held/seen/owned. Sadly, it was a size too small. If/when I ever pull the trigger, that's the one...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My concern would be that the Perry is a similar fit to my 1576 contract, but it's a nice design. So's the Werber, for that matter. Dammit, see what I mean!

CBI

One Too Many
the Dubow 20960 contract is a great choice. One of the very nicest, sharpest contracts. The 23379 is the more "traditional" Dubow but I have never warmed up to those pointed collar tips.

If I were to order a GW A-2, my choice would be the 20960, I love the overall fit and really, it has a modern drape to it so it's a very practical option of us now. I think it's a super choice however, no matter what you get, you are going to want another one/different contract anyway. There is no way to make ONE choice and then say, "OK, I'm good/done" Their are just too many great options.

I currently own 3 GW's. I have owned about 16 total over the years.................................

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am 12 months into the wait for my Goodwear. When I filled out the form I was positive that I wanted one of the Aero contracts, dark seal with rust knits. A few months into the wait I started looking more closely at the civilian designs, at this point I am leaning towards the Monarch Messenger. I've decided it's pointless to waste too much time thinking about it until John calls my number. By that time I will probably be thinking something completely different anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy