Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who has a vintage Men's Shaving/Grooming cabinet?

cowboy76

Suspended
Other than our main medicine cabinet in our upstairs bathroom, we have one above the toilet on theother isde of the bathroom (small bathroom though.)

I keep all of my vintage shaving and grooming articles there. Straight razors, disposable blade razors, stropping supplies, shaving cream, pomades, honing stone, and some other unique men's grooming nicknacks...etc. I even have an old strop hanging beside the sink.

103_1930.jpg

103_1931.jpg

103_1925.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
ooohhh.. I'm jealous!! I love men's shaving/grooming stuff. I've always wanted to be a Barber! I used to straight razor my husband's head.. he does it himself now.;)

What is in the plain tins?(on the right)

cowboy76

Suspended
~*Red*~ said:
ooohhh.. I'm jealous!! I love men's shaving/grooming stuff. I've always wanted to be a Barber! I used to straight razor my husband's head.. he does it himself now.;)

What is in the plain tins?(on the right)

Hey, thanks Red,...

So, you used to straight razor your husband's head??!!! As in scalp,..shaving his scalp?:eek: I'm just having visions of sweeney todd!,... lol

As far as a Barber, traditionally barber's are male, BUT I think that kind of enthusiasm would make you one H#$L of a beautition!! I could see you in a cool little retro salon, all 1940s, manicure table in the back,...that would be cool to see.

Ya know, if you really were that interested, you could always see if there's a Barbershop in your area that might be interested in reviving the old art of doing men's manicures?? Some old time barbershops did have them back in the day,...some were stricktly against it,...can't remember if my barber said he had one,...I want to say yes,...??:rolleyes:

The plain tins,...some tins of pomade,...I cant even recall what they are,..havent used them in a while. I know they were newer pomade I wasn't happy with,...??

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I sure did! He loved it! Although I didn't shave his whole head, mostly the sides and back so he could keep his "high and tight". I learned to fade really well with it too. I was taught in beauty school. It was a special class and I think maybe it wasn't even supposed to be taught? But I learned it and loved it. I got a nice male clientel coming in for it, but then Somewhere they realized we weren't allowed to do that in school, or something..and they made me stop. I loved though, it was like learning a secret art. :D I collected some razors and have always been interested in men's grooming products, particularly pomades. I like to try them all. But now that my hair is long, I don't have much use for any except Royal Crown, which is actually the dressing.

And I dearly want to go see Sweeney Todd!!lol

I had no idea that men had manicures back in the day! Although I do remember some men coming into the school for them. I just thought it was recent. Very Interesting!!! I will have to delve into that more. I'm not a fan of doing manicures (except to paint nails) but anything having to do with Men's grooming is interesting to me.

I have a dream for my own salon/barber shop someday. After my husband retires from the Marines, of course! We move much too often!

Thanks for telling me about the tins. Maybe it's that American Greaser stuff? I haven't heard good things about it. My brother is strictly a Murray's man. And he requires an oil change whenever I visit back home. ;) If you don't mind my asking...do you use all those grooming products? And which are your favorite? And one more (so sorry!) have you used the shaving lather cream brush, and if so, how do you like it? My husband is always trying out new creams. The gels never seem to do his skin anything good.:(

As for your fine grooming cabinet, one day when we move into a home of our own, I plan to have a nice cabinet for my husband and all his grooming needs. I'm truly green with envy!:D

cowboy76

Suspended
pennyseranade said:
Red,

It is American Greaser Supply.

Yeah that'd be the reason its just been siting there,....

I've been experimenting with different combinations of products.....

Wildroot Creme + B&W Pomade,....
Wildroot Creme + B&W Pomade + Brylcreem, or Layrite,....
Brylcreem + Murray's + Wildroot,...
...and the latest, Vitalis...
(which really didnt do much for my naturally curly hair that, (SADLY) is thinning in the back. Its weird, I'll have to experiment with it more. If I work the front curls tight with my fingers, it wont flop, which looks good,...it just dosnt sit right though everywhere. People used to swear by it though,..so I'll have to work with it more to see what it can do.

In the last few days, it seems what has been working best is, shower, toewl dry hair, just a little to leave it damp, slightly wet. Mix only a finger dab of B&W, and Layrite together, teh add a bunch of Wildroot to it. Mixed thoroughly in palms, then put in hair. Comb as usual from there.

OF course I picked up that old can of "Kactus Lan-Z-Oil",...looks like coco butter really when you open it up. Says its "medicated" on one part of the label,..so that's the only thing that's keeping me from using it,...I think I'll just take the leap and see what it does,....if you see a bald photo with my avatar after it, you'll know it didn't exactly work!!:eek:

cowboy76

Suspended
volatile said:
Gotta love Black and White wax, frankly. I was thinking about getting some of Hwley's Layrite myself, too - is it any good?

In my opinion, I think Layrite is a bit overrated and much to expensive. Yes it shouldn't clog your hair folicles like a traditional pomade, but I've actuaaly still had mild breakouts when using it (something that happens to many guys when using pomades, waxes, etc) so i'm not sure how true that statement really is. Again, maybe its just me?

Although I've used it for about a year or more now, in my opinion, its good only when mixed with something like Wildroot or Brylcreem. Used by itself (which I have many times) can tend to leave your hair looking dry after you've combed it, after the stuff has dried in your hair. Its weird, you'dhave to see it. Maybe its just MY hair?? Also, the fact that it washes wout with water is alluring to most,..BUT,..get it wet in rain, and you have to rework your hair and then, basically, you're out of luck. It starts washing out in the rain, and if you get any in your eyes as it does,..YIKES!!! DANG IT STINGS!!!:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran