Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a Shave with Straight Razors

Peg me for a Rennaisaince Man, as I love old stuff and the old ways. Many people are getting fed up with twin, triple, quads and more when it comes to their disposable razor. Have you noted what type of disposable income you need to afford disposable razors they are pitching today? Well you can take a step back in time and go with a non disposable razor, the straight razor also known as a cut-thoat or open razor. Straights take a little time to get to known how to handle with out doing home surgery, but if you are competant at alot of other daily tasks you can conquer the straight. Hey chances are your grandfather used one. The set up takes a bit of investment but you will have these object for a lifetime and probably hand them down to your son. Or have them in your will. If you don't want to go staight try the original safety razor known as the Double edge Merkur is a great brand and the shave does rival a straight.

Some advice on straights:

NEW Versus PRE-OWNED RAZOR: First, if you are looking for a NEW straight razor you must use some caution. Do not be taken in by cheap prices on the web or EBay, they are usually Pakistan razors which will not take or retain a shave sharp edge. The best thing for new is to select either a Dovo or Thiers Issard Brand from a reputable dealer such as www.classicshaving.com or the knifecenter.com. These will be about $50-$60 for the low end razors, but they are well made and will give a lifetime of good service. Currently there are three other razors that are relatively inexpensive: from barber supply houses is Fromm brand, on E-bay do a search for Timor straight razor which is made by Giesen &Forstoff or search for a Hen & Rooster brand razor, all are pretty good stuff. One note is that most new razors are NOT shave sharp, shave ready out of the box! Therefore a good alternative for newbie that is a smart thing to save you $ and much heartache is to ask if anyone on the straight razor groups has a good ?¢‚Ǩ?ìshave ready?¢‚Ǩ? razor for sale. If you can get a vintage shave sharp shave ready razor from the guys, it helps take all guess work out of what a shave sharp razor handles like, the feel, and what to shoot for when it comes time for you to be maintaining the edge. Also on E-bay some sellers are putting shave ready razors up for sale. In the straight razor groups we have several enterprising individuals that have complete starter sets, or are selling fabulous NOS (new old stock) razors, hones and everything else, so ask by posting a message who has what available. In old razors English, German, USA, French and Swedish razors are usually of the higquality steel and better than 9 times out of ten if not abused will restore to a great shaver. Solingen as an origin is Germany and Sheffield steel is a style that was originated with the English but used all over where razors were made.

A razor is only one part of the set of items you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll need to make up your kit and the other parts of the kit are:

STROPS: you will need a strop! A good start is a Jemico or Dovo brand strop; both work well, although other brands can fit the bill. Here you may want an inexpensive strop first since many people destroy their first strop trying to learn the Zen like art of stropping. (One caution on Illinois Brand is while they are good quality; they have many strops that first need a lot of work up to be usable.) I suggest you to look for the longer ones with a cloth side and a leather side. You will need a small tube of Strop Dressing (plain) for the leather side and there is a paste made for the cloth if you care to paste it too. An alternate or additional set up to consider is from a place at www.handamerican.com to get their Flat Bed ?¢‚ǨÀúHone?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ which is actually a two sided strop but on corrian. Get .5 micron chromium oxide paste for the pink side and plain for the red side. This will sharpen a slightly dull razor that ?¢‚Ǩ?ìpulls?¢‚Ǩ? very quickly. Similarly there are 4 sided paddle strops to use with a variety of pastes that can bring a razor back to shave ready quickly. Here you need to choose for your $ budget and needs.

HONES: the problem is most new razors are NOT shave ready out of the box and need to be sharpened or honed by an expert, as razor sharpening is very unlike knife sharpening. When you use a razor, you need to maintain it and therefore there are other parts to the kit such as hones and strops. You will need a hone which is a sharpening stone. Most of us suggest at minimum to get a Norton 4000/8000 grit combination stone which is used wet with water. Others prefer barber hones but they can get confusing if you don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t know what brands to get. You?¢‚ǨÀúll be getting into big $ for the Belgians hones and some of the water stones are worth and arm & a leg, but they are of the highest quality and perform to the highest standards,

SOAP: You?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll need shave soap or shaving cream for wet shaving, and that means NOT the canned aerosol stuff. For a low cost everyday shave soap I can recommend Burma Shave soap whole heartedly, it lathers very well even with our hard water and gives fine protection to your skin when shaving. I like all of the Col. Conk soaps which have glycerin and they are slick. Some shave soap I find is a bit too aggressive in fragrance or ingredients and will give a burning sensation on my sensitive skin. Shaving Creams can come in either Tubs or Tubes and are a great deal different than soap. They tend to lather up very quickly, they seem to have even more protection for your skin plus many have aromas and fragrances that are out of this world, and a little goes a long way. Usually a drop the size of a large pea is all you need. In the creams the cost can go from fairly inexpensive (but not as low a soaps) to some really high end stuff. Proraso and Musgo Real are two old time barber shop brands that are well liked. I also like Coates, Massey Caswell, Art of Shaving, La Occitan and E-Shave?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s shave creams. Here personal likes and dislikes are key with the fragrance being a lead item.

BRUSH: you need a shave brush to whip up and apply the lather. Again it is a personal like - dislike thing, some enjoy the boar bristle types, and others want only badger. In the badger there are grades and it does make a difference but a pure badger brush from Vulfix or Col. Conk or others will fit the bill nicely. Badger too much money for right now? Get a Burma Shave brush and call it good at least for now.

MUG: if you are lucky, you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll have a hand me down or something that works, also note that the round soaps come in a small and a large size so it is good to get one that fits. The web sites have them and EBay has oodles of them so it is your choice.

HEAD SHAVING: there are two brands of specific head razors that are recommended over the straight razor. They have a form the helps you hold the razor and a guide / guard system to keep you from getting cut. Classic has them and I think Em?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Place also. Note: the problem with shaving the head with a straight is that there are areas you can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t see or see well and that leads to cuts, and a head cut is dangerous.

FINAL ADVICE: At classicshaving.com there is a section for ?¢‚Ǩ?ìHow & Why?¢‚Ǩ? and youshould read those articles, also in the straight razor groups files are tons of stuff to answer and help with these types of questions. My caution is, if you go too cheap with new stuff, you will almost certainly get poor quality, which will frustrate beyond belief. Eventually if you stick with this forum you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll learn a lot and be able to pick and choose with confidence in either new or the old time stuff.

ADD TO KIT: Don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t forget to pick up a good aftershave; it really helps condition the face. Many favor the Clubman ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú Pinaud line, and Bay Rum is my personal favorite. If there is sensitive reaction, try an aftershave balm.
John in Covina

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, No...

I suspect that there may be few replies due to there having been numerous exhaustive threads on this topic before.
Good info, however. Thanks for adding to the knowledge base! ;)

Shaving Soap & Creams plus tips for a better shave.

I still get a thrill at lathering up with the whole brush, mug and soap or cream routine. Soaps and creams although related are different animals and they do act a bit differently. Also if your shave isn't a smooth as you like a change of brand can make a big difference. The addition of a preshave oils can help stop irratation.

A secret tip: there are some old style preshave creams out there that for many guys makes the difference between an ok shave a a great shave. A some what scentific trial of items with similar ingrediants lead to the discovery that while the good preshave creams from Italy and Portugal are not readily available, Noxema and the various store brand copies of Noxema tend to work just as well as the premium brands of preshave cream.

Secret tip #2: if you have a heavy or extra tuff beard, try showering first, giving your whiskers a good soak, shampoo and then use conditioner on the whiskers. This can soften the hairs and lead to a better shave.

#3: If you must use a twin, triple or quad blade, always rinse thoroughly between swipes as the whisker particles between the blades build up and are exactly like rubbing your face with a Brillo or Steel wool Pad!!! The average beard's whisker is as hard and strong as COPPER wire, and that's average, so imagine wiping your face with a copper bristle brush, not comfy. this is the advantage of the straight and the Safety or Double edge razor. The single edge allows the lather and whiskers to move back from your skin. The Twin and more blade razor catches the lather and whiskers which holds them in a brillo pad to wipe your face with if you don't rinse it out each time you swipe.

Hey youse guys, listen up here, or what! You know what I mean?

John in Covina

Kaela

Vendor
Hey, fellas, a little help?

Say, boys, I've heard about this "straight razor" craze, and it got me to wonderin' what ladies razors would have been like through the 20s-50s? I've been looking through antique stores, and best I can tell there are only men's razors! I was wonderin' if anyone has heard of or seen any of these ladies razors, knows where I might get them, or something useful of the sort...
I've only ever seen electric razors..
Thanks, fellas!

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the recommendation, JD! Do you have a preference for the almond, sandalwood, or unscented varienties? Also, is it true that you only use a little bit of the cream when starting the shave?

Also, John: are you referring to the Noxema cream? facial cleanser? astringent? Please clarify.

Creams and Creams

Slicksuit said:
Thanks for the recommendation, JD! Do you have a preference for the almond, sandalwood, or unscented varienties? Also, is it true that you only use a little bit of the cream when starting the shave?

Also, John: are you referring to the Noxema cream? facial cleanser? astringent? Please clarify.

In Shave Creams I like floral scents such as Rose and Lavendar also Lemon. In E-shave they have a "White Tea" that is like aroma therapy.

I have never used the Noxema trick but I would suppose it is what ever the original product is / was, probably the cream.

John in Covina

Double edge vs. twin

The Twin is a stacked blade set up with two blades one stacked parallel above the other. The Double edge is a much older style of razor. the blade is roughly 2 inches by one inch, a rectangular shape. the long sides are the razor edge. The top of the holder often opened up like bombay doors and your dropped the blade in. Closing the doors and then the blde was held in place, some had an adjustment that put a slight arc in the blade an changed the angle and or how much of the edge was exposed. Also called the safety razor, it still takes some skill and the corners of the blade can nick you, but it will give a close shave in the right hands.

A tip is never move your head or face when the blade is touching the skin. Pull the blade away, then move your head, make a grimmace or stretch the skin before returning the blade to your face.

John in Covina

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I remember once remarking to my barber that I was tempted to try shaving with my grandfather's old straight razor.

He looked at me with a grin and said "Tell me when you plan to do it - I'll call the ambulance for you and save you the time."

Somehow I never got around to that experiment.

Pilgrim said:
I remember once remarking to my barber that I was tempted to try shaving with my grandfather's old straight razor. He looked at me with a grin and said "Tell me when you plan to do it - I'll call the ambulance for you and save you the time." Somehow I never got around to that experiment.

Actually, it really isn't that tuff to shave with a straight razor at all. BUT! Things have to be right in order to do it right. First the blade has to be shave sharp, and with razors, a dull straight is still sharper than any knife you own. (Why? Because a knife is made for a different style of cutting and different materials to cut, a razor edge would collapse on a knife.)

If you've wet down the whiskers with hot water and put together hot lather on the beard you will have good protection. Place the razor flat on the skin and then raise the back or spine up between one to two widths. ___ ^ more the razor straight 90 dgrees to the blade edge or with a slight angle of tip or heel a little forward. Short slow strokes very very little pressure and you are shaving. Do Cheeks and throat slowly and deliberately. Finish moustache and chin with twin first couple of times. When you get comfy with handeling the blade you can then experiment with the chin and upper lip. Soon it is all natural. I still nick myself, usually i am paying attention to the middle of the blade where I am shaving and catch the point on something. But they tend to be small quarter inch or less and heal quickly. You usually can only shave with a third of the blade at any time. In Yahoo groups for straight rzors there are guys that can sharpen you GP's blade to shave ready for a nominal fee or sometimes just return postage. classicshaving.com has a guy that can make most any straight shave ready. Blade has to be okay no nicks in it.
Shave with Slow and deliberate motions.

John in Covina

JD Boswell

New in Town
Kaela,

I prefer the almond scent myself. Used to have a scent called Verbena but they dicontinued it. As for razors of the time, I asked my Mom and she said she used a double edged safety razor. Musta worked cause her legs were smoothe enough to have a B-17 named after her (The Snuggle Bug).

After our last thread on shaving I broke down and got a kit from shavemac. I went with the badger silver tip brush and the razor that takes the Mach 3 heads. I was thinking of going back to the Merkur style, but I remembered how much closer my shave had got when they came out with the Mach 3 so I stuck with it. From the getgo, everyone said 'Wow, that's some shave' without my even mentioning it. The ladies always seem to have to put a hand to my chin. I guess it's that noticeable, despite my always having what I thought to be a close shave.

I also bought a bottle of Taylors of Old Bond Street aftershave, which, when applied, makes the shave seem even smoother. I highly recommend it!

Kind regards,

Senator Jack

Wet Shaving

Jack!

Wet Shaving is the term for using mug, soap or cream and brush. I love to use a badger brush and have a Best Badger from Col. Conk and a Super Badger from Vulfix. (The Vulfix is better than the Conk but only by a tiny bit!) Taylors is an old name for shave cream and very highly regared by wet shavers.

Good luck and enjoy!

John in Covina
;)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Where can I get a straight razor?

I have always wanted to try shaving with a straight razor, however, I do not know how to do it, or how to maintain the razor. Where can a novice like myself be trained so I don't end up with a cut jugular?:cheers1:

cleanshavenlad

New in Town
Getting started.

The best way I found to getting started with a straight razor was to find a local barbershop that offered shaves and then pay very close attention to what the barber is doing.

If it's a one or two man shop, sometimes the barber will show you some pointers once you mention that you're interested in using a straight razor. Especially after you've just laid out the money for a shave.

I did that and it was a great way to start. I also went to New York and got a shaving lesson at The Art of Shaving. They went through all the strokes and hand movements and it was great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21