Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who's going to UK Duxford (Battle of Britain) Show this Sept 10/11..?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Having a few hiccups here in getting B&B and the flights are now proving too expensive, so I may have to drive (which is tricky now, as my concentration levels have been severly effected after getting shot down last year :shock: ).

Anyway, who is going? What would be the likelyhood of a meet-up at Duxford, then later a bite to eat at THE EAGLE in Cambridge on Saturday night? (that famous back room haunt of RAF and USAAF aircrews).

Also, what's the likely dress code? ie: RAF Irvins and roll-necks, or the AAF A-2 and pinks?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Committed...

Well guys, I'm going to be there on Saturday, and I believe that Mikey (B-17) is going there with a few pals too.

ANYONE ELSE GOING TO THE SHOW AT DUXFORD (UK) NEXT W/END? PLEASE LET ME KNOW VIA THIS THREAD, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE YOU, THANKS.

My bags are packed..!
LuggageLabels004.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Maisie!

Maisie, you wee gem! thanks for the heads-up on that. Sadly, I'm committed to the Duxford engagement now, but it was so kind of you to post that other show, which I hadn't realised was running.

I see you are pretty new to FL, so it's great to see you posting! here's hoping you get many memorable hours and a lot of fun with us on board the Fedora Express!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ken, things have been manic, but..

GREAT to meet a fellow Old Cambellian! I left in 83, which compared to you, makes me feel so decrepid and old now!! Dr Pollock was head of chemistry then, and Brian Wilson headmaster. I was really into the CCF in those days, 'army barmy' about everything, and was all set for a full-term commission in the army and going to Sandhurst RMA. I was part of the Special's Team (not sure if that's still going) over two years, going in for the RIR Cup at Magilligan Camp. Also spent many a cold night out at Ballykinler on Field Days! Where has the time gone I ask?..!!
But talking of vintage things Ken, even then at school, I had a feel for the importance of heritage, roots and things vintage/nostalgic! When you think of the hall at Campbell, with all the names of those young lads who have fallen for their country, you cannot fail be moved. HaHa, on a lighter note of vintage, it was in that hall that they tried to teach us in Lower and Upper VIth how to fox trot and quick step before the school formal. That's when I first came across the sone, Moon River! They drafted in girls from Bloomfield Collegiate and Strathearn (poor lambs to the slaughter!) as dance partners. Well being at an all boys boarding school, I was half scared out of my mind about the opposite sex, let alone holding one close!! haha. (oh all that changed! you'll be glad to know). But we were like scarecrows or the walking dead from a 'B' Zombie movie!! I'm sure most of those poor girls needed counselling up at Purdeysburn after all that stress! but good days, and me an my pals all trooped proudly down to 'Parsons and Parsons' to hire our black tie outfits. Man! I felt so dapper with my wing collar shirt, DJ and black slacks! Like a movie star!
My folks are still in the Province, around Holywood, Comber and Ards Peninsula areas. In fact I was back there about 2 weeks ago for a week, for the 'craic' and a good old Ulster Fry!
Most of my good friends I made at Brackenber House School (Prep School, now pulled down) and of course Campbell. But few are still living in Ulster, and seem to be spread around all arts and parts of the globe. But the few still there, I manage to meet up with whenever I get over. In fact a few good old school pals are now living around the Edinburgh area, so I go up there periodically to see them (not a million miles from me on the Scottish borders near Alnwick). I was tempted to go to an OC cocktail 'do' up in Edinburgh (secretary is called Dunbar?), but never made it. Maybe next time if I know enough people there.
Ken, what a really small world it is, but then hardly surprising when we paddys (and OC's) seem to get to all corners of the earth!

Good meeting you my friend.

PADDY (No.6699)

Ken

A-List Customer
So you were there when they had girls at Campbell - a legend that got whispered now and again in my time.

And wow - yeah Ulster Fry!! I miss that.

I don't get back there very often now (too busy in Scotland) - once a year at Christmas, twice occassionally. I found most of my friends have moved out of the province too - most in Scotland actually funny enough.

If you ever make it up to Edinburgh anytime give me a shout its not that far away (well its lightyears in Northern Ireland distances ;) ).

Ken

grant

Familiar Face
Hi Paddy,
Wish I could make it to Duxford for the 65th. I was last there five years ago and had a great time watching and listening to all those Spitfire and Hurricanes scramble. I'm sure Douglas Bader and the rest were there in spirit as well. Have a great time next weekend!

Grant

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it too-last time I was there they had about 25 Spitfires all in the air at once! Formation was a bit ragged but the noise was incredible! Looking forward to seeing a Corsair in the air again too-and to meeting up with some of the boys-well, Paddy, anyway. Anyone else??

MB17

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
I'll be there! Alan, sadly I'm back to work on the 17th, and I have been to Yeovilton quite a few times before. Would be nice to see the Corsair again though. I like the Westland Wyvern too-hell of an aircraft! Have a good time.

MB17

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Back from Duxford Air show...

It was 'ok.' Not brilliant. Weather on Saturday was rainey with low cloud base, but not disimilar to weather in Sept 1940, so that made it more atmospheric when the Spitfires flew around (about 12 of them) with that backdrop.
The B-17 (Sally B) was flying, and that always brings a lump to my throat.
My hightlight was meeting a few old American flyers who were over for their last reunion, all very poignant and sad).

Worth the six hour drive through thunder and lightening storms? Probably 'not' on this occasion. There was something 'missing' from this Duxford Show. Sadly the anticipated 'meet-up' of the forum boys didn't seem to get off the ground. Another time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails