Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Do You "Dress Up"?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I "dress up" Monday through Friday because the North Carolina Rules of Professional Conduct require me to wear a coat and tie when I'm in court. If they didn't, I wouldn't.

Weekends always find me in wrinkled khakis with freyed cuffs and a TAC- patched, sixties-era L-2b.

AF

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I don't "dress up" everyday, but when I do, I try to do it well. I'm tired of seeing other men my age half-ass the process because they don't have the knowledge or motivation. I try to have a function behind all of my clothing which justifies my ownership of it. Most of the time I dress utilitarian because that's what the situation requires; but when the situation requres dressing well, I make sure I look damn good. You never know when looking damn good will come in handy.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I don't feel like me if I'm not dressed properly. It is not acceptable to me to go out in public in sweats or anything similar. I dress and do my hair and makeup every single day - not always vintage or "dressy" but done. I've always been that way, my mom is that way, her mom was that way and so on and so on for a few generations. I also like the idea of recycle/reuse and find most vintage clothing to be better quality than modern clothes.

Marty M.

Vendor
Dress for Success, not Recess.

Not only do I have to (I'm a Haberdasher), but I want to. And talk about feeling on top of the world, just put on a well fitting Tux. Man, it doesn't get any better. Unless of course you have your lovely spouse next to you ;) .
Marty Mathis

metropd

One Too Many
I do not dress to impress any women, friends, family, Ect... NOBODY BUT MYSELF. The only reason I do it is because It brings me pleasure. I do it because it fulfills me and makes me enjoy life with on optimistic attitude when I have the luxury to wear art created by myself for myself. I think my purpose in life is to create and I see clothing as one of the ways of expressing this ideal passionately and naturally.

I have always dressed 'a bit weird', I used to dye my hair a whole range of reds, pinks & purples, but I always made sure I looked presentable. For as long as I can remember I have been very aware of peoples opinions (that's what years at the mercy of school bullys does to a girl), and despite being more than willing to 'stand out from the crowd' I am extremely self conscious. I have never 'conformed, I've always worn what felt comfortable and not what the magazines & shops tell me I should wear.

I have toned down my image somewhat since leaving university a few years ago, and have always made an effort for work; I currently work in a 'smart/casual' office, and frequently 'dress up', where other girls just wear trousers & a tee. I never leave the house without doing my hair & makeup, and haven't worn jeans outside of the house in weeks.

A couple of friends came round to the house the other day and commented on my attire (I was wearing a black shirt dress circa 1940s and had my hair & makeup done). I think their exact words were 'look at you all tarted up'. I was very shoked as I was wearing nothing more extravagant than I usually wear. I was then that I realised that every time they come round to the house, I'm in my pyjamas. I was mortified!! :eek:

I like too look nice, not for other people, but for myself, and I always have. Plus it makes you feel good when someone comments on how nice you look ;)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had to wear suits for decades in work and for wrok-related functions. Now I only wear one for funerals :eek: I've grown to hate wearing them over 35+ years and will not attend a function that requires it except a friend's funeral, which are more often than I'd like.

I'd rather Johnny Depp it and drop on my fedora over whatever I'm wearing and be content instead of diddling with suits.

univibe88

One Too Many
KeyGrip said:
I'm tired of seeing other men my age half-ass the process because they don't have the knowledge or motivation. .

I blame it on their upbringing.

I have to wear a suit to work, but I enjoy it. My wife enjoys it too - so that makes it easier.

Rathko

New in Town
This seems like a suitable place for a first post - good morning all.

I work at an art gallery were a large majority of people, thinking themselves painfully hip, choose to wear vintage T-shirts and skinny pants. When I first started here, wearing a suit and tie, I was repeatedly told that I didn't have to dress up so much, as though slovenliness were a perk of the job. It took about a year before people realized I dress this way because I like to, not because I have to.

As others have said, I feel decidedly undressed and a short step from grubby homelessness when not sporting at least a shirt and tie. I've been wearing a tie since I was 5-years old. Anything else just feels plain wrong.

-James

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
I dress in dresses or a skirt & blouse every day, and always have my hair, make-up etc done. I do this because I love this look, and enjoy looking like a lady.I have been dressing like this for so long now that I can't imagine dressing any other way. I think if I was to go out in jeans and a t-shirt (not that I own either of these things), I wouldn't feel right.

I agree with The Shirt, the last thing I want to do is bump into the man of my dreams & ruin my chances by looking a mess! :p In saying that, I very rarely get attention from any men around my age...."dressing up" seems to be something that most younger men aren't interested in. They'd rather have their girls in baggy jumpers or ugg boots [huh] So meeting the man of my dreams isn't looking very likely lol.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Twitch said:
I had to wear suits for decades in work and for wrok-related functions. Now I only wear one for funerals :eek: I've grown to hate wearing them over 35+ years and will not attend a function that requires it except a friend's funeral, which are more often than I'd like.

I'd rather Johnny Depp it and drop on my fedora over whatever I'm wearing and be content instead of diddling with suits.

I got that way pretty fast, in less than 10 years. Coincided with my disillusionment with the general business culture and change of values (sounds serious and conscious, but it wasn't, I just sort of drifted to doing things more my way). For the last 15 years I've successfully avoided any serious dressing up, I also prefer your way...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think for me it's just the way I was raised -- especially the influence of my grandmother. She wasn't dressed to the nines, certainly -- she was a working-class housewife, and the best she could manage was to dress to the fives -- but she felt there was a certain decorum one should maintain in both public and private, and that point of view influenced me greatly. To this day the only time I'm comfortable wearing sneakers and dungarees and other such things is when I'm doing some kind of heavy work.

Marty M.

Vendor
Welcome wagon.

Rathko said:
This seems like a suitable place for a first post - good morning all.

I work at an art gallery were a large majority of people, thinking themselves painfully hip, choose to wear vintage T-shirts and skinny pants. When I first started here, wearing a suit and tie, I was repeatedly told that I didn't have to dress up so much, as though slovenliness were a perk of the job. It took about a year before people realized I dress this way because I like to, not because I have to.

As others have said, I feel decidedly undressed and a short step from grubby homelessness when not sporting at least a shirt and tie. I've been wearing a tie since I was 5-years old. Anything else just feels plain wrong.

-James

Well said my friend. And welcome to the Lounge.
Marty Mathis

TessTrueheart

I dress up because I am happier than ever and at the same time so very tired of the world.

I am in a happy place in life, feeling very good about myself and my achievments and I want it to show that I am a force to be reckoned with.
And I dress up because I am tired of the world, tired of sick beauty ideals, of the empty cult of celebrity, of silly fashion fads, and of cheap low quality clothing and of being treated as just a consumer rather than a human being.

Wow. What a rant. And this is me when I'm in a "happy place".lol

Smuterella

One Too Many
TessTrueheart said:
I dress up because I am happier than ever and at the same time so very tired of the world.

I am in a happy place in life, feeling very good about myself and my achievments and I want it to show that I am a force to be reckoned with.
And I dress up because I am tired of the world, tired of sick beauty ideals, of the empty cult of celebrity, of silly fashion fads, and of cheap low quality clothing and of being treated as just a consumer rather than a human being.

Wow. What a rant. And this is me when I'm in a "happy place".lol

*huge round of applause*

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24