Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Do You "Dress Up"?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
My dad, who passed away in his eighties two years ago, was commenting about the "casual" dress of those who attended church services, and made this observation: "You put a tie on a man and he acts differently."

Scott.

New in Town
It all started when i was about 8 and I discovered Marilyn Monroe, I started watching her movies then other old movies. Then from my interest in old movies came my love for old music and by the time I was 11 i started listening to Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman. Next came the antique collection and towards the end of last year I started wearing full Vintage clothing and now I'm almost 16 and I'm just about surrounded completely by things from 1900 through till 1960. Ever since I was in year 4 I have been bullied everyday at school so I have always hated most 'normal' guys and i have tried to make myself as different from them as possible. Apparently carrying yourself with self control and proper etiquette, treating a girl like a Lady and caring about what you look like makes you gay?

Although i have been dressing full vintage for a year i would have started much earlier but i thought i would come across as a bit of a freak because i had no idea anyone else did it :p

P.s. In case you're wondering I'm only 15 nearly 16.

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
Why dress "up"?

In business life (I work as economist in the aviation industry), I wear suit and tie every day, whether it is snowing or glowing heat, for three reasons:
- to show respect to my customers/business partners
- to properly represent my company
- to feel good and confident - even though there is no formal dress code

In private life I don't usually wear a suit, unless for evening events, but usually prefer a combination of long/short-sleeved shirt and proper trousers over T-Shirt and Jeans. Jeans are well appropriate for working in the garden, hiking, driving around with a classic car (which might require kneeling on the floor...) or other tasks where robust clothing is needed. Nevertheless, even at 40°C you will never see me with shorts, Bermudas or the like as it looks and feels ridiculous.

I any case, I fail to understand why nowadays one sometimes has the feeling that the people around expect an explanation or even apology for being well dressed (especially outside the office), while "ultra-casual" clothing, including these diaper-size "baggy pants", needs no explanation. Shouldn't it be rather the other way round, no?

A_Jameson

New in Town
I completely agree. I do wear suits every day for work. I'm a funeral director and I wear a suit for the same reasons you listed. I also wear suits in my every day life for the simple reason that, they are SO comfortable. So much lighter weight than jeans and a sweater and look so much more dignified. I just have problems finding nice three piece suits.

I guess when it boils down to it, I really love to dress well, I love how I look and I love how it makes me feel. Not just comfort but confidence as well. In todays world, very few people wear suits every day and people give a certain amount of respect for someone in a suit.

It just fits my old-fashioned personality too.

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
I dress up because I feel pretty. I wouldn't feel as good about myself if I went out in sweats everyday, I like to look polished and put thought and effort into the way I look everyday.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Why? Because I have taste. Duh! Mainstream fashion has sucked since the 60s. Fact.

Personally, I'm not trying to be "authentic". I just add some vintage inspiration for a timeless look. I've mostly been inspired by 19th century clothing, but more recently I've been going for a "Golden Era" look.

If I had lots of money, I'd spend a lot on reproduction clothes, and no doubt I'd look a bit more "authentic vintage", but my income is small so I do what I can with what I can afford.

As a musician, I've always "dressed up" for gigs; I don't have to, it's because I want to. Generally I plan out exactly what I think will work in the context of the gig, and I enjoy doing it. I used to work in a CD/DVD store - with no dress code, so I got to wear whatever I liked - and I got regular compliments from customers on my various hats and so on.

I've had plenty of compliments on my style over the years, which makes up for the occasional style-less idjit attempting to mock me for dressing well.

Hal

Practically Family
Sapphire said:
In any case, I fail to understand why nowadays one sometimes has the feeling that the people around expect an explanation or even apology for being well dressed (especially outside the office), while "ultra-casual" clothing, including these diaper-size "baggy pants", needs no explanation.
I strongly agree with you.
The same thing is true of dressing for the weather - on a cold day, the only man in a group wearing an overcoat is likely to be asked why he's wearing it, while the only man not wearing one would never be asked. Likewise, a motorcyclist turning up at a social function might well have fun poked at his protective wear while someone arriving in running shorts or tennis gear might even be complimented.
The probable cause is the current mindset that comfortable clothing = minimal clothing (these are not my original words but those of another FL member who wrote them in a PM to me).

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
get it?

peacock-wooing-peahen1.jpg

lol lol

KenDale

New in Town
When I first started in banking over 20 years ago it was required that you were a suit and tie. That has changed significantly over the years and our dresscode is now business casual. However, I still wear a suit everyday. It does affect my attitude and make me feel more professional. On the rare occasion that I do dress down on Friday, I always feel slightly uncomfortable and out of place. My grandmother instilled in me that you should take pride in yourself and always look your best. Hopefully, I am making her proud.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
*I feel more professional because of it
*People treat me better
*It looks less sloppy, and shows I have some self respect; as well as respect for others
*I like doing it

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mostly for me, but sometimes for others.

For instance, I am visiting a friend who doesn't get out much. It is an aesthetic high point of the week for him to see someone not in a uniform of some sort!

I also play for people in convalescent homes a lot, and they love it as it reminds them of their youth.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I am in the funeral trade, so it's charcoal suit, white shirt, company tie and shined black lace up shoes 6 days a week. I don't even buy cotton chinos anymore, I buy wool trousers for my days off, because they feel like my suits, which I don't mind wearing, unless it's 100 degrees outside.

For that matter, my personal car is black, which matches the livery at the mortuary...I like the formality of it.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Well said and AMEN Paddy. I heartily agree with all your've written here for myself as well (except that I as a Lady like to look FEMININE of course) This is EXACTLY what its 'all about' here...

PADDY said:
1. I like to look MASCULINE (I can quite happily tap into my feminine side without looking pink, fluffy and girly).
2. My dress code reflects the self respect I have 'for me' and that I hold for those that I choose to come into contact with and associate with.
3. It gets respect from others, my drinks come quickly and more times than enough secures a good table at a fine restaurant.
4. It is an extension of the self confidence that I naturally carry, born from genetics; schooling and other past enviroments.
5. When 'I' make the effort, other's take note and things get done sharply. I like those dymanics and that streamlining.
6. People make assumptions about 'you' very quickly in life, often on 'how' you are dressed and how you carry yourself (done within seconds of meeting). I use 'those assumptions and psychology' to maximum effect and benefit (in a nice, positive way ;) ).
7. As Al Pacino once quipped, "I feel like KING OF THE WORLD." Not a bad way to feel (as long as it's measured, in balance, respects others and not abused).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner