Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does this look wrong to me? (Cary Grant Picture)

Note: a jacket that is too short, too small in the shoulders/chest/waist, and too tight in the arms. It's even wrinkled, too. My choice of hat is spot on, however!

BrownPlaid2.jpg
UT7240.jpg

bk

Is this perhaps a little bit of evidence that Grant - rightly -, like many stars of today, despised the press photographers. And this was his way of taking the piss out of them. Give the idiots in the press something to gabble about ("Look who looks bad this week!") …

johnincovina - that's not a tapered body line. It is a suit jacket that's too tight. Hence the puckering at the button. This modern eye is most certainly happy with the tapered body line. We don't see enough of it (esp. with Re: modern American apparel)!

bk

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Is this perhaps a little bit of evidence that Grant - rightly -, like many stars of today, despised the press photographers. And this was his way of taking the piss out of them. Give the idiots in the press something to gabble about ("Look who looks bad this week!") …

johnincovina - that's not a tapered body line. It is a suit jacket that's too tight. Hence the puckering at the button. This modern eye is most certainly happy with the tapered body line. We don't see enough of it (esp. with Re: modern American apparel)!

bk

I have to agree with the Baron on this one. Either the suit is a size or two too small, which for a svelte guy like Grant, he could probably squeeze into, or this is evidence that mid-30s proportions don't work for everyone.

CIMG8968.jpg

(for the record, I was wearing a size 7 hat at the time, the suit is close to a size 32, and I normally wear a 34 or 36S)
thom-browne.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Note: a jacket that is too short, too small in the shoulders/chest/waist, and too tight in the arms. It's even wrinkled, too. My choice of hat is spot on, however!

BrownPlaid2.jpg
UT7240.jpg

bk

Baron, I think your suit fits spot on, though (but it may just be the picture). But it's interesting that both of your jacket do this weird pulling at the chest/rib area. Even with a drape suit, I don't know if it should look like that, although one usually inspects from the front, and rarely at 3/4 view.

mister7

Familiar Face
Just an observation on my part, but those tight fitting clothes really have a way of making people look pudgy. In all 4 pics posted in this thread notice how big their hips look relative to the shoulders.

Having a trim fit is one thing, but I personally don't find that bottom-heavy look appealing. I find clothes that emphasize the shoulders and chest much more attractive.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think it would be difficult to find a single molecule of pudge on Mr Grant.
I stick with my theory that as he takes a couple more steps after getting off the plane, his clothes start draping a little more normally.
Feraud, I didn't say there's anything WRONG with this discussion! ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My take on this

Mr. Rover said:
UT7240.jpg

Everything here fits, with the exception of sleeves that could use 1/4" or so...but what is so off about this look on Cary Grant? Is it just too snug? Or because it's white? This may be the only picture of Cary Grant where I have questioned how impeccably dressed he is.

To my untrained eye, his suit is cut like a gangster's: double breasted and narrow at the waist. Grant nearly always played more upstanding characters.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
For the reasons I just stated, that was how it struck me at first glance. If you want to state all the reasons it isn't, that's fine, but don't do so for my benefit.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
swindler

Paisley said:
To my untrained eye, his suit is cut like a gangster's: double breasted and narrow at the waist. Grant nearly always played more upstanding characters.
At the height of the war, he played this dubious character:
MrLUCKY (1943)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036174/
Cary Grant plays gambler, Joe Adams, who takes on the identity of a dead gangster in order to avoid the draft. Adams plans to use a war relief charity to get his gambling operation up and running, until he falls in love with Lorraine Day and has a change of heart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner