Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is Cirrus more expensive than Aero??

John Lever

One Too Many
bobjones said:
#1- Aero are the best people I have ever worked with in a retail environment. If you can find a better group of people to work with than Will Lauder, Amanda, and Mark, you tell me, because I'd like to meet them.

#2- Aero is absolutely NOT "out to make a quick buck," as Will has a long-term view and wants to build his customer base through quality sales and service, period.

#3- Aero took 6-8 weeks to make a customized version of one of their jackets for me, and finished on time and did a superb job.

#4- Aero's FQHH is purchased from the same tannery as Lost World's AFAIK, and both use 5 oz. FQHH that is chrome-dyed. I have samples of both next to me, and they are equally tough.

Seems like you misunderstood my tone in the post. I find all the people very friendly to deal with at Aero especially Amanda and Will. I think though that because they are so friendly that they tend to make promises that sometimes they can't keep. Their prices are also fair and reasonable, but I was merely pointing out that when companies do custom work the normal economies of scale principles do not operate.

Edward

Bartender
John Lever said:
I have heard that the US sheepskins aren't as durable as Irvins. This could be the tanning process or the Corseal topcoat used to seal the skins against water and gasoline. Certainly the Naval jacket rot because of sea water contamination.
If you compare a LW jacket to say an Aero, the LW has a much thicker leather and coating making it quite stiff almost cardboard like in it's ability to flex. I have a Aviation Leathercraft from the 70's with a very similar coating that was even thicker. Eventually I removed the material with dry cleaning fluid as it was impossible to wear.
Jackets from ELC Aero and RMNZ are ready to go straight out of the box, LW take years to break in.

ok, thanks. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats