Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is Cirrus more expensive than Aero??

JLStorm

Practically Family
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that Cirrus is just as expensive, if not more so than Aero. If Aero is considered by the masses to be superior in materials, accuracy, etc...any idea what it is about Cirrus that makes them so pricey?

Just curious.

Edward

Bartender
Sounds about right. Ultimately, I'd say it's because they can be. Presumably they do well enough without needing to drop their prices - supply and demand, and all that. Yay capitalism.

Seems to me they're shooting after two different markets, anyhow: Cirrus' range includes so many variants and jackets that are more of a modern twist on the WW2 era designs, whereas Aero are shooting for something more historically accurate.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Sounds about right. Ultimately, I'd say it's because they can be. Presumably they do well enough without needing to drop their prices - supply and demand, and all that. Yay capitalism.

Seems to me they're shooting after two different markets, anyhow: Cirrus' range includes so many variants and jackets that are more of a modern twist on the WW2 era designs, whereas Aero are shooting for something more historically accurate.

I think that's a good assessment. I would say though that I'd be surprised if Cirrus' sales volume is at all small. I wouldn't venture to guess whether they sell more or less than Aero but they would be selling a lot of jackets and coats every year, especially to the vintage and classic car crowds - they usually advertise every issue in the big British classic car magazines. They've been going for years so they must be doing pretty well for themselves.

John Lever

One Too Many
I've had four Cirrus jackets. Two new and two used. The new Adams jacket was made from amazing horse hide and was of very high quality. All the others were sheepskins and were way, way below the quality of Aero in materials and construction.
On another thread about tough sheepskins, the discussion has moved on to Cirrus. In no way are they tough as nails and I would rate them at about 2 out of 10 compared to Lost worlds 9 out of 10 [ because they are too heavy !]

Speedster

Practically Family
Smithy said:
They've been going for years so they must be doing pretty well for themselves.

I visited their premises in 1989 when looking for an IRVIN repro. I still have the old catalogue and sheepskin samples i received some time (months/year(s)?) prior to my visit. But also visited Aviation Leathercraft where i bought my jacket as their product was more convincing.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Didn't Alan E say awhile back that he'd owned a couple of Cirrus flying jackets?

Be interesting to hear his thoughts as well.

JLStorm

Practically Family
John Lever said:
I've had four Cirrus jackets. Two new and two used. The new Adams jacket was made from amazing horse hide and was of very high quality. All the others were sheepskins and were way, way below the quality of Aero in materials and construction.
On another thread about tough sheepskins, the discussion has moved on to Cirrus. In no way are they tough as nails and I would rate them at about 2 out of 10 compared to Lost worlds 9 out of 10 [ because they are too heavy !]

The problem with LW is their prices...are they really worth THAT much? The jackets that I looked at are close to 70% (or more) more than Aero. What is the difference in thickness of the hide, shearling length, etc? What makes them fetch that much of a premium?

John Lever

One Too Many
I think you are mistaken about prices. The LW Anj4 is around £650, the equivalent Aero is £500. no where near 70 % more expensive.
If you want a good jacket, go for Aero, Eastman, RMNZ or Lost worlds.

JLStorm

Practically Family
John Lever said:
I think you are mistaken about prices. The LW Anj4 is around £650, the equivalent Aero is £500. no where near 70 % more expensive.
If you want a good jacket, go for Aero, Eastman, RMNZ or Lost worlds.

I was looking at the prices of the B3's 1350 USD for LW and 890 USD for Aero.

My percentage was still a bit off, but still..whats with the huge price difference?

bobjones

A-List Customer
Well it wont be Stu's warmth that drives the Lost World's premium ;)

But LW's does have some very nice stuff, and their Downtown is a jacket to die for. Ahhh, someday.....

John Lever

One Too Many
JLStorm said:
I was looking at the prices of the B3's 1350 USD for LW and 890 USD for Aero.

My percentage was still a bit off, but still..whats with the huge price difference?

I think Aero make many more jackets than Lost worlds do. Also LW will only use ' US sheepskins correctly tanned as the WW2 spec ' This has led them to use ever more expensive materials from a shrinking source so that they may only be available as a special order.
I have owned B3's from both companies and the LW is a much heavier more robust garment, about 30 to 50 % heavier.

JLStorm

Practically Family
John Lever said:
I think Aero make many more jackets than Lost worlds do. Also LW will only use ' US sheepskins correctly tanned as the WW2 spec ' This has led them to use ever more expensive materials from a shrinking source so that they may only be available as a special order.
I have owned B3's from both companies and the LW is a much heavier more robust garment, about 30 to 50 % heavier.

Thanks, that helps a lot :)

Edward

Bartender
John Lever said:

John, how do you think that affects the durability? There seems to be a general consensus that the WW2 era USAAF jackets weren't as durable ovder time as the RAF Irvins, which may be down to processing and construction methods (seems more likely than the breed of sheep affecting it?) Is this historical accuracy likely to mean sacrifing a little longevity, or is that completely irrelevant?

John Lever

One Too Many
I have heard that the US sheepskins aren't as durable as Irvins. This could be the tanning process or the Corseal topcoat used to seal the skins against water and gasoline. Certainly the Naval jacket rot because of sea water contamination.
If you compare a LW jacket to say an Aero, the LW has a much thicker leather and coating making it quite stiff almost cardboard like in it's ability to flex. I have a Aviation Leathercraft from the 70's with a very similar coating that was even thicker. Eventually I removed the material with dry cleaning fluid as it was impossible to wear.
Jackets from ELC Aero and RMNZ are ready to go straight out of the box, LW take years to break in.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Ok, after talking (emailing) with Cirrus, LW, and Aero where is what I have got. All of you traditionalist and historical accuracy guru's may want to cover your eyes...this may hurt a bit.

I emailed the above companies with my requirements which are a jacket that can withstand the wear and tear that it will get from my job which is constant worldwide travel, getting poked with steel and wood. temperatures from +20F to -20F with wind chills/wind gusts down to -50F. Something that will wear well but not get destroyed through contact with rocks, rust, rebar, tree sap, etc. Basically something bulletproof. I wanted a jacket that had an enlarged collar that could cover my entire head (at least to the top of my ears) for those nasty wind gusts, I didnt want any shearling showing at the cuff because it just gets stained and destroyed, and I needed pockets on both sides of the jacket.

So, after my initial email here is what I got back:

LW:

They dont do custom work and cant recommend anyone who makes jackets with leather as thick and durable as theirs. This is a shame....but what on earth am I going to do with one pocket...I mean really, its -10F I have to take off my gloves for extra dexterity....so only the fingers on one hand get to survive frost bite...that just wont work.

Cirrus:
Received an initial email they were very nice but opun hearing the conditions the jacket will have to survive through I have gotten no response to my custom requests. Its been about 3 days, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are just busy.

Aero:
A response within one day, offering to do the over sized collar in shearling or fur if I wanted a darker color that would not show stains as easily. Offered to do full overlays on the entire arm for durability and tear resistancs. Had no problem leaving the shearling off the cuffs of the sleeve and recommended the size I would wear. Offered to do all these modifications for no charge in addition to the base fee of the jacket. Also told me that they were out of the sheepskin they would need for the jacket now, but would have it in fall...to which they added there was really no point in ordering the jacket during the summer months anyway...I liked this as it shows that they werent trying to make a quick sale.

On the customer service front Aero definitely seems to win, and comes out cheaper than Cirrus' base jacket by around $120.00 USD, but still cought up on LWs thicker and "bullet proof" leather...but one pocket...I mean common...

John Lever

One Too Many
I have had a custom jacket on order from Aero for almost 12 months , so beware as they are always ' too busy ' when I enquire about progress. If costs are a major factor then don't go custom as people throw away the price lists and things get expensive quickly.
Why not buy a second-hand leather coat and take it to a local tailor and have the work done that way ? Ebay is full of old coats and jackets.
One idea is to buy a leather army jerkin and have sleeves sewn in. There is a company that makes HH jerkins for around £80 on the net. I have the link here somewhere.

bobjones

A-List Customer
#1- Aero are the best people I have ever worked with in a retail environment. If you can find a better group of people to work with than Will Lauder, Amanda, and Mark, you tell me, because I'd like to meet them.

#2- Aero is absolutely NOT "out to make a quick buck," as Will has a long-term view and wants to build his customer base through quality sales and service, period.

#3- Aero took 6-8 weeks to make a customized version of one of their jackets for me, and finished on time and did a superb job.

#4- Aero's FQHH is purchased from the same tannery as Lost World's AFAIK, and both use 5 oz. FQHH that is chrome-dyed. I have samples of both next to me, and they are equally tough.

JLStorm

Practically Family
John Lever said:
I have had a custom jacket on order from Aero for almost 12 months , so beware as they are always ' too busy ' when I enquire about progress. If costs are a major factor then don't go custom as people throw away the price lists and things get expensive quickly.
Why not buy a second-hand leather coat and take it to a local tailor and have the work done that way ? Ebay is full of old coats and jackets.
One idea is to buy a leather army jerkin and have sleeves sewn in. There is a company that makes HH jerkins for around £80 on the net. I have the link here somewhere.

I wear a size 50 or 52 and its hard to find...Ive tried ebay for a while :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats