Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual double rider jacket - SB Oakland, or Aero King of the Road?

NamoAmituofo

New in Town
Hello all

My first post here. I have an Aero size 40 HWM with wool lining for colder months, as can layer a thin cashmere jumper underneath.

But for the warmer months, I'm thinking of getting a second jacket - size 38 with just cotton lining.

I know the common advice is get a design that can be worn at all occasions - but for some reason I'm quite keen on getting a double rider style.

So I've narrowed down to either SB Oakland, or Aero King of the Road.

- for SB Oakland, I'd go with their 4oz elk (available in black only) - I think the lack of a belt, and the not so shiny finish of elk can pull this off as a 'casual jacket', and not looking too 'bad ass' (thinking of wearing this for school run too...) cost would be £600

Oakland front.png

Oakland back.png

- for Aero KotR, I'd go with CXL HH natural, or SH brown - given this is the belted and studded design - I'd go with a non-black version for casual wear. Cost would be £950 so 50% higher than SB. (I've seen this amazing jacket as well https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...106-kotr-indian-mix-biker-jacket.97528/page-6)

KOTR front.png

KOTR back.png

If they're priced the same I'd go for KotR no doubt. But for £350 more, I can almost pick up another 2nd hand jacket off ebay.

What would be your advice?

Thank you
Namo Amituofo

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There’s a reason SB cross-zips are significantly cheaper. While early on this didn’t seem to be the case, these days they don’t seem to have a quality control check and they don’t provide after sales support if they screwed up on this. I’m talking people ordering size 38 cross zips and getting a 22” hem, with SB insisting this is normal. It’s a gamble.

You might want to keep an eye on Aero’s sale/stock page where you’re likely to see a jacket you want at a significantly discounted price.

I think the KotR is a great design and I’ve had an eye on one or one of the 50s Hercules jackets it’s based on for a while now.

A note on sizing: why do you want to go 38 if your Highwayman is 40? The Highwayman is an intentionally oversized design so if you’re going down to 38 in a more typical design that’s a significant change.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
If you go for SB make sure you demand QC with all measurements done before shipping the jacket out.
If everything turns out great - you'll have a great jacket for a great price. Didn't turn out well for me, had to go for a full refund.
I'd give them another shot myself but I'd be much more demanding regarding QC and adherence to requested measurements.

For Aero make sure you understand the cuts well - consult their customer support. A highwayman and the KOTR a shaped very differently.

NamoAmituofo

New in Town
Thank you guys I really appreciate the help here. I didn't finish reading that long SB 22" hem post - I won't be bothered with that kind of risk/hassell.

So it comes down to either biting the bullet ordering a new KOTR from Aero, or wait for a used one to appear.

What's the best way to follow the latest' for sale listings' on this forum? I had a quick search and there isn't an obvious market place I can find.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Thank you guys I really appreciate the help here. I didn't finish reading that long SB 22" hem post - I won't be bothered with that kind of risk/hassell.

So it comes down to either biting the bullet ordering a new KOTR from Aero, or wait for a used one to appear.

What's the best way to follow the latest' for sale listings' on this forum? I had a quick search and there isn't an obvious market place I can find.
classifieds

KOTR is a beautiful jacket. They are not often seen for sale.

If you go new please be mindful of Aloysius’ sizing comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner