Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why you love Bomber Jackets. (its bomber jacket season again!)

Never had a "bomber" as a kid. We didn't have much back then. Dad was in grad school, and mom quit her job as a flight attendant for Western (weren't allowed to have kids or be married). 99% of what we had was from Sears. I don't fen recall bomber type jackets until much later, then it was like the pic Jag posted above. Never owned one, even though like most folks, I liked Top Gun. All the cold weather was spent in parkas or down vests. My dad was a climber amongst other things, and he went the high tech route for everything. I think it's because he grew up so poor in Montana and leather and canvas weren't so quaint to him. Been in California since '82, and didn't start the jacket thing until 4 years ago...nice page though. Interesting stokes.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I wore my Avirex HH Civvy today. Probablly my black HH Indy again tomorrow. Pics are coming on the Indy. The Avirex with really starting to break in and pebble up in the lower body but the upper is so large and boxy I may have to go the HWT route.

Worf

thor

Call Me a Cab
I loved "Tales of the Gold Monkey" on TV (1982) and bought my first bomber jacket, an A-2 style Schott leather jacket, when I was 16. I hand-made a Flying Tigers blood chit and sewed it to the back myself. Went all through high school wearing my TOTGM/Jake Cutter-themed leather bomber. I have been a fan of the leather bomber jackets (mostly A-2 and G-1's but have also owned afew Irvin's and an AN-J4 from ELC) ever since.

Mk Vb

New in Town
Hello again MK VB
I am glad to read that you once again will be wearing a genuine wartime Irvin, and certainly a very fine gesture by mr. Swaffield.
I am not shure whether you are facing winter in Melbourne, but now you will be prepared.
What now about the other jacket repro that you ordered ?

Dude the B-6 is on ebay...at a 400 dollar discount!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thor, we are soul-mates! Check out my Jake Cutter inspired Avatar. When I wear my 'bomber' and my USAAF cap with no badge, I carry a map of the Marivellas and a letter of introduction from the Grand Duchy of Wotanberg / Seiber Islands Administration Department of Commerce. Of course I carry registration papers for 'Cutter's Goose' as well. Here's to the 'Gold Monkey', my friend! Cheers! -dixon cannon

goldjake1.jpg

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Thor, we are soul-mates! Check out my Jake Cutter inspired Avatar. When I wear my 'bomber' and my USAAF cap with no badge, I carry a map of the Marivellas and a letter of introduction from the Grand Duchy of Wotanberg / Seiber Islands Administration Department of Commerce. Of course I carry registration papers for 'Cutter's Goose' as well. Here's to the 'Gold Monkey', my friend! Cheers! -dixon cannon

goldjake1.jpg

Good old Cutter.... Where can I pick up a decent leather blood chit? Any ideas? Do you have pics of your jacket lying around....? Thanks

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
you will see on occaison a Retro 70s-80s ad for Spitfire type Triumph looking sportscars, I think they would put a man and an Irvin Jacket together on the same page to give you the impression that Bombing around in one of those topless roadsters was not unlike the thrill of taking an old prop-job off the tarmac.

something like that I think. Ive seen what your talking about.

Actually Triumph used Battle of Britain ace "Ginger" Lacey for some of the marketing of the Spitfire in both print and TVCs.

Mind you they weren't the only car manufacturer to use "Irvins" in their advertising. Morgan used fellows dressed in "Irvins" for their ads and brochures in the 80s and 90s.

Re: "Tales of the Gold Monkey" - I remember watching that as a young'un and thoroughly enjoying it. Had completely forgotten about it.

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
I love bomber jackets because I love aviation. I'm actually addict in Military Jackets. I only collect (for now) original G-1s and some vintage nomex usaf jackets, but I'm planing to buy a couple A-2s in the near future. As I live outside U.S. i don't had too much personal contact with people who have and wear bomber jackets (bomber jackets was fashion in 80's in Brazil, after 80's they disapeared). So my passion for G-1 connected with aviation came from aviation magazines and movies like "THE BRIDGES AT TOKO-RI" and "TOP GUN"

Lucky you guys, in the northern hemisphere. Now we're going to the Spring here in Brazil. But I have nothing to complain, I'm lucky of being born in the south of Brazil(Rio Grande do Sul - Brasil), different from the rest of the Brazil we have a cold Fall and Winter, with temperatures between 14°F and 64°F.

For example it's 8:45a.m. here and the temperature now is 57°F.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Hey Dixon Cannon,

You have taken the TOTGM theme to a new level, my friend! If you ever get to NYC, visit the Cradle of Aviation museum; they have an original Grumman Goose (currently in Pan Am color scheme) which was actually used to film interior shots for TOTGM!
Happy flying...and watch out for those Zekes!

best,

Thor

Otter

One Too Many

Aero used to do a Burma Bridge busters set: CBI shoulder shield, 10th AF shoulder patch, 490th Bomb Squadron patch, internal Chinese silk blood chit and external Burmese layered leather blood chit. The set came in much cheaper than the individual parts and I liked it so much I bought it for two jackets, my avatar is one of them. They do not make a big deal of the patches these days but if you email Amanda I am sure she can sort you out.

thor

Call Me a Cab
If you are looking for a nice leather blood chit, try A-2jacketpatches on eBay. Sean does great work and adds a nice patina to each piece to simulate age and wear; truly remarkable work and worthy of any flight jacket!

Last edited:

Physicist

New in Town
Interesting that my favorite style is difficult to come by. Here's what I'm talking about;

straight zipper up the middle,
slash pockets, no front cargo pockets,
knit cuffs and waistband,
a real collar

In other words, a "Fonz" jacket.

Apparently, this style must not be very popular. Because the only place I see that sells it is Aero. And here: http://www.celebswear.com/products/Happy-Days-Fonzie-Jacket.html

But I don't trust that site - they're probably made in China.

majormajor

One Too Many
Interesting that my favorite style is difficult to come by. Here's what I'm talking about;

straight zipper up the middle,
slash pockets, no front cargo pockets,
knit cuffs and waistband,
a real collar

In other words, a "Fonz" jacket.

Apparently, this style must not be very popular. Because the only place I see that sells it is Aero. And here: http://www.celebswear.com/products/Happy-Days-Fonzie-Jacket.html

But I don't trust that site - they're probably made in China.

The Aero one looks like everything you wish for.....

happydays.jpg

Not sure why you think it is not popular. Ken wouldn't make it if it wasn't:D;)

Physicist

New in Town
The Aero one looks like everything you wish for.....

Almost. It's not made in the USA.

Not sure why you think it is not popular. Ken wouldn't make it if it wasn't:D;)

A2 and G1 jackets are a dime a dozen. Cockpit, Gibson & Barnes, Eastman, Aero, etc.... They all have them. And on eBay, you'll have no trouble finding one.

However, look around at these manufacturers for the "Fonz" style. Aero is the only one that has anything resembling it.

Look around on eBay. There's a shortage of them there, too. Out of the scores of A2 and G1s, there are only two of this style. One's a Cooper, and the other's a Sierra.

I would think that if there was a demand for this style, more manufacturers would be making it.

53Effie

A-List Customer
You might want take a look at the Langlitz site. They make a similar style in their selection of flight jackets. It should be very good quality as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy