Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wifebeaters?

Men: Do you wear a so-called "wifebeater" regularly?

• Yes - of course! Just like my father did.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eww.... not for me.

• Sometimes I do, depending.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Is it called a tank top style? I believe a tank top is an sleeveless sweater.

bk

That's what I would understand too, but it may be a US "English" thing, like Undershirt <=> vest <=> waistcoat?

Though I know you sent some years in the US, so maybe not? [huh]

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In the US, in my labeling system:

Wifebeater is exclusively the (usually ribbed) white (well, sometimes grey), sleeveless, "A-line" undershirt. Hanes, BVD, Jockey. Not designed to be worn without a shirt on top. That's the key, you're wearing an undershirt, it's tacky (at least in public) and low class. Thus the name.

Once you start adding color, or going to a heavier t-shirt cotton and/or adding designs, then it isn't a "wife beater" any more. It's a "tank top".

Which are meant to be worn as a shirt in public (even if still tacky IMO). Often worn, as pointed out, as work-out wear or when it's hot and you're being casual. Or when you're young and want people to see how big your arms are. Or when you just don't care how you look.

Jack Burton in "Big Trouble in Little China" would be the beau ideal.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
No, definitely NOT sexy on EVERYONE, *yucky*
But you know, put that guy in a suit and hat and take away the tongue gesture and such, he'd look pretty sharp!
Nikki
SamMarlowPI said:
here is the stereotype right here:
Wife_Beater.jpg

sexy? hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahahahahahahahahaa... *ahem*

LindyTap

Familiar Face
Being a dance student at college I usually wear wifebeaters because they are thin and sleeveless, and therefore cool for the heavy physical activity of dancing. Also, in ballet, modern, and pilates class they let me see my placement better than a t-shirt because they are skin tight. But to wear outside or in public? No! You look like an eminem wannabe. I usually ask people what happened to their shirt when I see them wearing one in public.

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
I live in deep East Texas. I used to nothing under my shirts, but never liked the see-throughness of lighter shirts (some of them vintage), so I began wearing t-shirts, but never liked them much in warmer, very humid weather (most of the time here)... so now I wear A-shirts/wifebeaters/whatever every day. MUCH more suited to this area: They have just the right amount of cooling skin exposure and moisture-wicking action. Also, you can see my tattoo easier.

I agree that by evening, they are not as form fitting. Still, I wear them under my shirts, and occasionally out, if swimming or working in the yard.

Moreover, I associate not wearing *some* kind of undershirt with the 1970's, "swinger" look. And I'm right, too.

Dread Scott said:
Moreover, I associate not wearing *some* kind of undershirt with the 1970's, "swinger" look. And I'm right, too.

Yep, Clarke Gable--that classic 70s icon. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

gable.jpg

1934 It Happened One Night

Gable wasn't setting a trend he was following one. Undershirts and the like didn't come back until after WWII due to their required wearing as part of the military dress code.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
I wear them under a dress shirt if it's cold enough. Or as a piece of Golden Era clothing in the summer.

:)

I always had the impression the us italians can stand the cold temperatures much worst than others.
My impression grew reading threads like "what sort of a flight jacket weather are you having" and so: man, I can tell you that Irvins and B3s (at least, their copies), as well as really heavy overcoats, are used in Italy when you're saying you're sweating in your A2s! :)

Back in thread:
wifebeaters under the shirt used to be the norm in the old days in Italy in Summer, while in Winter they were replaced by cotton or wool T-shirts.

Well, my father can't remember my grandfather without at least a waistcoat, but I'd say wifebeater was traditionally what a man was wearing while working hard under the sun.
Mostly replaced by t-shirts by now.

And hey, we don't all beat our wives! ;)

Ying Ko

New in Town
More Than One Type of Wifebeater

I was in Urban Outfitters about ten years ago. They had some gingham cowboy shirts by Rockmount for sale. They were marked down to practically nothing, so I picked out a few and walked over to the cash register.

The cashier started ringing up the shirts. Then she stopped for a second and exclaimed, "Ooh, look!! Wifebeaters!! No wonder they're on sale!!" Everyone in the store looked up at her, then at me.

I glared at her.

She blushed and finished up the transaction. Then I told her that if she were my wife I would make it a point to beat her every day.

It seems like regardless of what part of the country you're in, there is always at least one article of clothing called a "wifebeater". And regardless of what part of the country you're in, it's probably a good idea not to call it that.

KenDale

New in Town
RE: Athletic Undershirt Wearer

Too late to vote in the poll but I am definitely a wearer of athletic undershirts. Sometimes, I think that I am the only professional in Atlanta who wears them. Oh well, the others just do not realize what they are missing!:D

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I always wear them. I only fall back on t-shirts when I am late on my laundry.

Interesting to note though, my dad always wears t-shirts (usually crew neck, sometimes v) and both my older brother and I wear beaters.

I find they work better for me, because they are more likely to be tight enough to be comfortable undershirts, and long enough to stay tucked in, which is never the case with t-shirts for me.

KenDale

New in Town
Yeps said:
I always wear them. I only fall back on t-shirts when I am late on my laundry.

Interesting to note though, my dad always wears t-shirts (usually crew neck, sometimes v) and both my older brother and I wear beaters.

I find they work better for me, because they are more likely to be tight enough to be comfortable undershirts, and long enough to stay tucked in, which is never the case with t-shirts for me.

My father always wears t-shirts, too. I have a younger brother and he never wears any type of undershirt. However, both grandfathers wore athletic undershirts. As you mention, the tightness is much more comfortable for me as well.

FPKawaii

New in Town
I wear wifebeaters with colored shirts when it's cold, and grey t-shirts with thin white shirts that you can see through.

Mav

A-List Customer
Yeps said:
Right, I forgot to mention that. Under a casual shirt too.

Yeesh- I forgot to mention in response to your post: my dad does t- shirts and my brothers and I do 'beaters, same as you guys. My biggest complaint about t- shirts under a shirt is that they're too binding in the arms, and just too bulky. I've got a thing about arm movement, for some reason. Makes blazer shopping a bi**h.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24