Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will hopefully receive a Bronson N-1 in navy blue today

CatsCan

Practically Family
It is a lamb wool-synthetic mouton fur.
It may be so. It only says 80% Wool 20% Polyester. Thick and warm it is and colour is good.

the lounge rules are that you tuck your shirt in before doing fit pics
Never! ;) Only would do this for you to make you see the jacket better. I'm a rebel.

Can you post measurements of the 40 please?

Here you are, give or take one cm:

measures.jpg

Thank you, guys! I was not sure about the sleeves. You helped me!

Have a nice Sunday!

Cheers
Cats

CatsCan

Practically Family
The stencil seems to be containing aluminum particles in it. Maybe it is silkscreened or even sprayed on. A very small corner came loose after I touched the remains of a nail in my wall. I could fill in a tiny droplet of acrylic paint made to match the colour. Now the damage is invisible. Maybe the stencil can be scraped off while warming it up with a hair dryer. I think there are only their "Non Stock" labelled N-1s availlable without "US Navy" on the back, but they seem to be made with different materials, such as more synthetic in the lining, thinner lining... I think, this piece was made to be more authentic.. But you are right, I would have been happy without the stencil. You never know, if this inscription attracts ill minded types of beings who's aggression this may trigger these days...

stencil2.jpg

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Have a Bronson and a (non waxed) Pike Bros. I'd say the Bronson is cut a little more fitted throughout though is also a bit longer, the material in the Pike Bros is just slightly better and its just a bit warmer but both are warm jackets and are good value for their respective prices. Pike Bros also has an inside pocket.

More on both here

CatsCan

Practically Family
It depends ALOT on a) your stature, b) your prefered look, c) money, you are willing to spend.
For a): if you call yourself as of being of slim figure - Bronson, especially if b): you like a more fitted looking jacket - Bronson (like 10fielectronic said). For c) If you are after more bang for the buck - Bronson.

I own both in my size (meaning Pike in size M, and Bronson in size L). The Pike has bulkier sleeves, which make the jacket look kind of out of shape. They seem to have too much material around the cuffs. The sleeves are a little longer than on the Bronson (like Turnip said) and the knit storm cuffs sit a bit lower around the wrist (western cut). The Pike feels thicker lined but the lining is too wide inside the jacket, which makes it folding over inside the sleeves sometimes, which is annoying. The zipper is working smooth and is a very high quality Talon repro (steel).

The Bronson has a better balanced lining overall, not too thick, but by far thick enough, more resembling original period N-1s. The lining is not folding over inside the sleeves. The knit storm cuffs are tighter and sit higher around the wrist on guys with long arms like me. The sleeves on the Bronson are better fitted, not too long, not bulky at all. The zipper is more notchy and working less smooth. It is a medium quality Talon repro, but still acceptable and looking good (brass).

The Bronson half the prize of the Pike Brothers.

I like the Pike Brothers for it´s material quality, I don't like the brown colour of the lining, the annoyingly bulky sleeves, the more barrel like cut of the body, the lining folding over....
I love the Bronson for it's cool cut, nice fit, good overall appearance, good comfort and ease of wear (no hassle with sleeve bulkiness, lining foldovers and such), versatility (warm enough for normal winter outings, not too warm for cooler autum or spring days in northern Germany). I find the Bronson a bit tight around my neck when fully zipped and buttoned. But this will hopefully give with more wear (I haven`t worn it very often, because I bought it last late Feb, and short after temps were really going up, and the acual winter has not yet begun).

I short: Bronson over Pike Brothers.

But be aware: In both jackets you have to get used to wearing a short, relatively snug jacket. If you come from wearing a roomier parka style jacket, it can feel a bit off in the beginning.

Last edited:

Kid_Pistola

New in Town
It depends ALOT on a) your stature, b) your prefered look, c) money, you are willing to spend.
For a): if you call yourself as of being of slim figure - Bronson, especially if b): you like a more fitted looking jacket - Bronson (like 10fielectronic said). For c) If you are after more bang for the buck - Bronson.

I own both in my size (meaning Pike in size M, and Bronson in size L). The Pike has bulkier sleeves, which make the jacket look kind of out of shape. They seem to have too much material around the cuffs. The sleeves are a little longer than on the Bronson (like Turnip said) and the knit storm cuffs sit a bit lower around the wrist (western cut). The Pike feels thicker lined but the lining is too wide inside the jacket, which makes it folding over inside the sleeves sometimes, which is annoying. The zipper is working smooth and is a very high quality Talon repro (steel).

The Bronson has a better balanced lining overall, not too thick, but by far thick enough, more resembling original period N-1s. The lining is not folding over inside the sleeves. The knit storm cuffs are tighter and sit higher around the wrist on guys with long arms like me. The sleeves on the Bronson are better fitted, not too long, not bulky at all. The zipper is more notchy and working less smooth. It is a medium quality Talon repro, but still acceptable and looking good (brass).

The Bronson half the prize of the Pike Brothers.

I like the Pike Brothers for it´s material quality, I don't like the brown colour of the lining, the annoyingly bulky sleeves, the more barrel like cut of the body, the lining folding over....
I love the Bronson for it's cool cut, nice fit, good overall appearance, good comfort and ease of wear (no hassle with sleeve bulkiness, lining foldovers and such), versatility (warm enough for normal winter outings, not too warm for cooler autum or spring days in northern Germany). I find the Bronson a bit tight around my neck when fully zipped and buttoned. But this will hopefully give with more wear (I haven`t worn it very often, because I bought it last late Feb, and short after temps were really going up, and the acual winter has not yet begun).

I short: Bronson over Pike Brothers.

But be aware: In both jackets you have to get used to wearing a short, relatively snug jacket. If you come from wearing a roomier parka style jacket, it can feel a bit off in the beginning.

Hi Everyone,

I am from Canada, new to this forum and recently acquired a new Bronson US N1 Deck Jacket in size 38(M).
This message is geared to all the aficionados of the many brands making a repro of this style of jacket. Apology in advance as I am well aware of other threads on this subject.
I am looking for feedback before I ship it back to China and re-order. Or sell and re-order.
I have fairly broad shoulders and long arms. I am 5'7" and weight 150 lbs.
Unaware of how these fit, I ended up feeling quite snug wearing the jacket. Short on the arms and of course tight under the armpits and the shoulders. If I sit and extend my arms to drive, the sleeves end up very high.
In short, it is too small for me. I wouldn't be able to wear anything underneath.
I love the slim fit look but I do need more room.
I took quite some time to re-measure myself and had a second set of eyes doing so with me.
I am thinking of ordering a size 42(XL). It is only 3.5 cm more after all. Not much more room really.
It seems that Bronson doesn't allow for much gap in between sizes. That a 40(L) measurements are still too close to the 38(M) and therefore taking a leap over to the 42(XL) would allow me to maybe wear a sweater under or simply a t-shirt if the weather is too hot.

I would appreciate any feedback and comments.

Thank you in advance.

Some photos for reference.

IMG_7555.jpg
IMG_7556.jpg
IMG_7558.jpg

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
I apologize, Kid, for my late reply. Your jacket looks good in my opinion!

Yeah, the arms could be a tad longer, but not much. These Jackets can feel snug at the beginning. At least I have the experience that they loosen up to a more comfortable fit. I agree if you are between their sizes (as you seem to be) and go for the smaller size for a more fitted look (what I assume you have done), these jackets can feel a little too snug under the arm pits and in the shoulders. But this will give over time. If you are between sizes and take the larger one, the jacket can feel better, sometimes. I think I need both to choose from depending on mood. The armpits btw. are cut quite high on all N1s following my own experiences.

But the sleeve thing was always puzzling me. It was a problem on ANY Deck Jacket I tried (various brands). After studying old photos of sailors wearing these I realised that sleeve lengths like this were in fact quite usual in their days. The sleeves rarely protruded over the wrist. This is something we may just have to get accustomed with.
Buzz Rickson's sleeves seem to be on the longer side. I saw at least one Real McCoy N1 variant with a more modern cut and thus slightly longer sleeves. But man, I felt that this jacket seemed slightly out of proportion. The body was looking too short in the neighborhood of those longer sleeves. So the jackets design has to outweight the sleeve length with the body length imo. Yours is looking good, proportion wise, imo. But if the sleeves ride up more than you can stand, you will probably never wear it as a jacket you feel you could live in.

Another thing is the knit cuffs inside the sleeves. I found them making the sleeves feeling even shorter, and I struggled to feel comfortable wearing a wrist watch. My solution was to get rid of them altogether on my blue one. I advice to get this done by a seamstress, although I have done it myself. It is difficult to find the seam of the cuffs and cut them. After you cut them and removed them you will have to sew together the two ends of the liner here. This is not too complicated. Just leave the sleeve cuffs alone as it is very difficult to get a good cuff re-done here. A seamstress can change the sleeve cuffs a little and taper the sleeves slightly here, which is making a better, more clothed feeling fit around your wrist. I am not talking knit cuffs, but sleeve cuffs here.

To prevent draft from getting into the sleeves I can better wear wrist warmers than to have to stand these annoying knit cuffs.
Much more comfortable and adaptable this way.

By the way: I did not order my Bronson N1 directly from the Bronson Shop. I first ordered size M from a guy who runs an ebay shop selling Bronson stuff. He is a nice guy! He asked me to give him my actual measurements and based on these adviced me to take one size larger than I had ordered. He was right, the jacket fits spot on one size larger, actually size L. But I am
6'2" and 172 lbs, so taller than you!
The problem is, when you ordered it in your normal size, the different asian sizing (they don't warn us on Bronsons website) fits different from what we are used to. But they look nearer to the originals imo.

You could keep this unworn and order one size up and make your decision after comparing both, and send back the one you like less.

As a summary: I like the fit of your jacket as it is. But you have to feel comfortable. Keep it and wear it until it losens up or order one sice up, too, to be able to compare, and send the one you like less back to china. You may consider removing the knit cuffs from inside the sleeves.

Cats

Last edited:

Kid_Pistola

New in Town
I apologize, Kid, for my late reply. Your jacket looks good in my opinion!

Yeah, the arms could be a tad longer, but not much. These Jackets can feel snug at the beginning. At least I have the experience that they loosen up to a more comfortable fit. I agree if you are between their sizes (as you seem to be) and go for the smaller size for a more fitted look (what I assume you have done), these jackets can feel a little too snug under the arm pits and in the shoulders. But this will give over time. If you are between sizes and take the larger one, the jacket can feel better, sometimes. I think I need both to choose from depending on mood. The armpits btw. are cut quite high on all N1s following my own experiences.

But the sleeve thing was allways puzzling me. It was a problem on ANY Deck Jacket I tried (various brands). After studying old photos of sailors wearing these I realised that sleeve lengths like this were in fact quite usual in their days. The sleeves rarely protruded over the wrist. This is something we may just have to get accustomed with.
I saw a Real McCoy N1 variant with a more modern cut and thus slightly longer sleeves. But man, I felt that this jacket seemed slightly out of proportion. The body was looking too short in the neighborhood of those longer sleeves. So the jackets design has to outweight the sleeve length with the body length imo. Yours is looking good, proportion wise, imo. But if the sleeves ride up more than you can stand, you will probably never wear it as a jacket you feel you could live in.

Another thing is the knit cuffs inside the sleeves. I found them making the sleeves feeling even shorter, and I struggled to feel comfortable wearing a wrist watch. My solution was to get rid of them altogether on my blue one. I advice to get this done by a seamstress, although I have done it myself. It is difficult to find the seam of the cuffs and cut them. After you cut them and removed them you will have to sew together the two ends of the liner here. This is not too complicated. Just leave the cuffs alone as it is very difficult to get a good cuff re-done here. A seamstress can change the cuffs a little and taper the sleeves slightly here, which is making a better, more clothed feeling fit around your wrist.

To prevent draft from getting into the sleeves I can better wear wrist warmers than to have to stand these annoying cuffs.
Much more comfortable and adaptable this way.

By the way: I did not order my Bronson N1 directly from the Bronson Shop. I first ordered size M from a guy who runs an ebay shop selling Bronson stuff. He is a nice guy! He asked me to give him my actual measurements and based on these adviced me to take one size larger than I had ordered. He was right, the jacket fits spot on one size larger. But I am
6'2" and 172 lbs, so taller than you!
The problem is, when you ordered it in your normal size, the different asian sizing (they don't warn us on Bronsons website) fits different from what we are used to. But they look nearer to the originals imo.

You could keep this unworn and order one size up and make your decision after comparing both, and send back the one you like less.

As a summary: I like the fit of your jacket as it is. But you have to feel comfortable. Keep it and wear it until it losens up or order one sice up, too, to be able to compare, and send the one you like less back to china. You may consider removing the knit cuffs from inside the sleeves.

Cats
Thank you for the good info. Much appreciated. I might just do that.
I hope they will honor a return buying their 30 days of receiving it. The person of contact at Bronson is very responsive. So perhaps they will let me get away with it.

O'DubhGhaill

Familiar Face
I pre-ordered a Bronson N-1 Woolen ("USN 1940s Model 3st" [sic]) plain, during their Black Friday sale. Several weeks later I received an email from them stating that the jackets arrived with them from their supplier, but that they unfortunately came to them featuring the "USN" print on the chest, which was not what they advertised or expected, and they kindly asked if I wanted to keep the order. I decided to keep the order and it finally should arrive tomorrow or Friday. (BTW, Bronson is incredibly responsive by email, even at odd hours!)

I am 5'9"; 39.5" chest; 32" waist; 147lbs and after careful research I ordered the size 42(XL). My research suggests that there should ideally be about 6" of room greater than one's actual chest size. This is also how B.R. N-1 sizing is represented by History Preservation Associates. I suffer the long-arm problem as well (dress shirt size: 15.5 x 34.5). This is a jacket that IMHO should fit functionally, not fashionably/"trim." I compared Bronson's sizing chart and fully expect that I made the correct sizing selection, but we will see this week! I so much wanted to order the HPA B.R. Heavyweight from Charles, but ~$750 versus $108 shipped is simply the only choice for me right now (that and i just checked and HPA is sold out of the Khaki Heavyweight in all sizes anyway).

Last edited:

Kid_Pistola

New in Town
I pre-ordered a Bronson N-1 Woolen ("USN 1940s Model 3st" [sic]) plain, during their Black Friday sale. Several weeks later I received an email from them stating that the jackets arrived with them from their supplier, but that they unfortunately came to them featuring the "USN" print on the chest, which was not what they advertised or expected, and they kindly asked if I wanted to keep the order. I decided to keep the order and it finally should arrive tomorrow or Friday. (BTW, Bronson is incredibly responsive by email, even at odd hours!)

I am 5'9"; 39.5" chest; 32" waist; 147lbs and after careful research I ordered the size 42(XL). My research suggests that there should ideally be about 6" of room greater than one's actual chest size. This is also how B.R. N-1 sizing is represented by History Preservation Associates. I suffer the long-arm problem as well (dress shirt size: 15.5 x 34.5). This is a jacket that IMHO should fit functionally, not fashionably/"trim." I compared Bronson's sizing chart and fully expect that I made the correct sizing selection, but we will see this week! I so much wanted to order the HPA B.R. Heavyweight from Charles, but ~$750 versus $108 shipped is simply the only choice for me right now (that and i just checked and HPA is sold out of the Khaki Heavyweight in all sizes).

Amazing!!! Please do keep us posted as to the sizing fit. I'm gunning for a 42XL) as well and would't mind your feeback before going ahead with re-ordering. Thx

FYI: I have mine for sale in the Classified section. I am located in Canada and would gladly ship locally or to the US.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ck-jacket-bronson-mfg-co.102844/#post-2760204

O'DubhGhaill

Familiar Face
Hi Everyone,

I am from Canada, new to this forum and recently acquired a new Bronson US N1 Deck Jacket in size 38(M).
This message is geared to all the aficionados of the many brands making a repro of this style of jacket. Apology in advance as I am well aware of other threads on this subject.
I am looking for feedback before I ship it back to China and re-order. Or sell and re-order.
I have fairly broad shoulders and long arms. I am 5'7" and weight 150 lbs.
Unaware of how these fit, I ended up feeling quite snug wearing the jacket. Short on the arms and of course tight under the armpits and the shoulders. If I sit and extend my arms to drive, the sleeves end up very high.
In short, it is too small for me. I wouldn't be able to wear anything underneath.
I love the slim fit look but I do need more room.
I took quite some time to re-measure myself and had a second set of eyes doing so with me.
I am thinking of ordering a size 42(XL). It is only 3.5 cm more after all. Not much more room really.
It seems that Bronson doesn't allow for much gap in between sizes. That a 40(L) measurements are still too close to the 38(M) and therefore taking a leap over to the 42(XL) would allow me to maybe wear a sweater under or simply a t-shirt if the weather is too hot.

I would appreciate any feedback and comments.

Thank you in advance.

Some photos for reference.

View attachment 295528 View attachment 295529 View attachment 295530
Greetings Kid, great pics, but I would definitely exchange that for the 42. These jackets do have higher armpits, which is supposed to help decrease sleeve rise while working, especially given they are not gusseted like a Tanker, but too small a size and that rise is cutting in painfully. With Bronson, I requested an exchange of one of their Prison Long-sleeve T-shirts (L) for a larger size (XL) (outstanding quality BTW for around $25!). They responded immediately, approved, and as soon as I emailed them the tracking number of my return ship to their Delaware office, they processed the exchange. Problem is that means that they ship the replacement from China to their U.S. distribution site in Delaware, which takes several weeks, or at least it did due to the the colossally bad USPS Holiday timing of my exchange. I am so far impressed with their customer service and the quality of their products, especially given the price.

Last edited:

Kid_Pistola

New in Town
Greetings Kid, great pics, but I would definitely exchange that for the 42. These jackets do have higher armpits, which is supposed to help decrease sleeve rise while working, especially given they are not gusseted like a Tanker, but too small a size and that rise is cutting in painfully. With Bronson, I requested an exchange of one of their Prison Long-sleeve T-shirts for a larger size (outstanding quality BTW for around $25!). They responded immediately, approved, and as soon as I emailed them the tracking number of my return ship to their Delaware office, they processed the exchange. Problem is that means that they ship the replacement from China to their U.S. distribution site in Delaware, which takes several weeks, or at least it did due to the the colossally bad USPS Holiday timing of my exchange. I am so far impressed with their customer service and the quality of their products, especially given the price.
Interesting about Delaware. The return address I was given is China and will cost me $130 CAD w/ tracking to ship it back. Did you order from the ebay guy perhaps?

The Bunk

New in Town

I ordered from the same batch and also decided to keep my order. Not sure when mine is supposed to get here, though. Any thoughts of trying to remove the stencil? I may give it a go assuming mine fits, so if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated!

CatsCan

Practically Family
I'd like to stress, that the fit of the Bronson Navy Blue Demotexed Deck Jacket and their regular khaki one is different. My above words were adressing the navy blue one. I also think, that not only body weight and height has to be taken into account when ordering a specific size based on their data given, but also the distribution of body fat or muscles. I am of a quite slender stature ABOVE lower chest bone and below lower hips, unfortunately not quite between these imaginary lines. I fight a weird kind of corona-belly. Right before this corona laziness set in I was entirely of slim stature. That was the time I ordered my blue N1.

they are not gusseted like a Tanker, but too small a size and that rise is cutting in painfully

There is a slight gusset under the arm pit. I agree that this area must fit good and be not too snug. My arm pit is ok in mine.
That is the sad thing when ordering from China, on has not much of a chance to try different sizes and different variants.

I am also curious how yours will fit! Hope you post pics! I love N1 Jackets!

An affective emotional thought: I just right now have to come over the U.S. stencil after what we sadly had to witness today. Was very close to rub it off two hours ago. But neither the U.S. nor the jacket and it's history can be blamed for what was done today. This is at least, what I try to tell myself right now. And when I think, who wore these jackets back in 1944 and with what kind of spirit and determination, I can at least identify with what the "U.S." was standing for back then.

Cats

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
Any thoughts of trying to remove the stencil?

If it is the khaki one with the chest stencil, it is very hard to get off without leaving a pale spot. You can go to the dry cleaners and ask if they can remove it. Often times they can and can also dye the spot back to the original color. You also could put a decent patch over there.
If it is the alumnium particle load bold stencil across the back like on the navy blue one, it actually can be warmed up with a hair dryer and peeled off.

Cats

CatsCan

Practically Family
I still think, Kid, your N1 looks good based on the fotos. If it feels good, I can't judge. But it looks good imo. I have seen a huge lot of old photos where the Navy personnel looks not much different in theirs. I actually washed my khaki one on wool setting without spin cycle when it still was kind of new. I put it on before it was completely dry and wore it the day being active outdoors. Turned out to be much more comfortable after. So I still believe in a breaking-in process which kind of molds these jackets to your body. Its just bedford like cotton outer and a wool mix inner. Before washing it I would try to wear the hell out of it, especially in rainy weather, I bet this ends a lot of "fit" problems of a brand new N1. Problem is, when a size being too big from the start loosens up with wear. But sometimes I like to layer and I also somtimes like loose fitting jackets. So I am thinking of an additional one in size xl for me, too. Good thing is, you can get three Bronsons for the prize of one Real Mccoy.

Cats

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko