Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will hopefully receive a Bronson N-1 in navy blue today

Pandemic

One Too Many
Sizing recommendations sought: I’m a true 38 and fairly slim with shortish arms. Am I safe ordering the 38/M if I am not planning to wear more than a tshirt under this?

CatsCan

Practically Family
Wonder what effect soaking these in hot water will have. Details on site include: Outer: 12.5oz jungle cross fabric, 100% cotton; Inner: 70% wool, 30% polyester; and Dry clean only. Usually take a 40 but am likely to buy a 42 hoping the soaking will shrink it to the perfect size. Concerned a 40 might be too small for layering and will prematurely wear-out the seams. As it's been said, depends on the look you're after: fashionable fitted or baggy utility.

The problem with hot soaking is it's unpredictable outcome. You never know how the lining will behave like. The cotton outer shell will be less problematic. But remember, cotton shrinks to a level but stretches back afterwards.
The only safe method will be a seamstress who can take measurements and alter the jacket to your liking. It doesn't cost a fortune.
For this path the best way is to get a jacket with shoulders fitting well with the sort of layering you are preferring to wear underneath and with sleeves slightly too wide and too long. This can be a hard task, though. To alter the shoulders is very difficult. So these should fit well to begin with imo.
Before altering a jacket or hot soaking it, I would always give it a wash cycle (no matter what the tag says) and see how the outcome is. I rarely had problems washing a "dry clean only" item. Do a gentle cycle with liquid soap and a low temp and low spin setting and you are likely ok. Be careful when you remove the jacket from the machine and dry it flat before it feels sturdy enough to hang it out into the fresh air. The jacket will be very heavy when wet and will easily deform when you pull too much. When drying outside, avoid direct sunlight.

Cats

Klaatu

New in Town
The problem with hot soaking is it's unpredictable outcome. You never know how the lining will behave like. The cotton outer shell will be less problematic. But remember, cotton shrinks to a level but stretches back afterwards...
Cats

Sound advice, thanks. Maybe instead of a hot soak, just put it through a warm wash and then a dryer spin with a softener sheet. I suspect the latter's heat will make more a difference in shrinking. It's a roll of the dice.

CatsCan

Practically Family
Sound advice, thanks. Maybe instead of a hot soak, just put it through a warm wash and then a dryer spin with a softener sheet. I suspect the latter's heat will make more a difference in shrinking. It's a roll of the dice.

The dryer can also be quite risky for the lining when it contains wool and I suspect it has 80% Wool. The problem is that you have two different materials, sturdy cotton and more delicate wool lining. You could start with a normal washing and skip the dryer for a first experiment. Wait until completely dry before you put it on. If not satisfied, work your way up in small steps and try a warmer wash and the dryer on a moderate temperature setting before you end up with a ruined jacket.

My way was to buy and re-sell until I was happy with one make. I wanted a higher grade of quality like Buzz or McCoy but ended up with the much cheaper make Bronson. On some of us, certain makes are simply not right, whatever we do. Sometimes this applies to N-1's in general. We want them to be good but they turn out to look better on others.
One good way is to adapt to how it looks from the start. There will be some kind of metamorphosis when we just wear the hell out of them. They surely get better with time. We tend to be over critical and look into the mirror too skeptical sometimes. Sometimes they look good on us but we feel horrible in them. Like I said before, these N-1s can be quite difficult.

Cats

CatsCan

Practically Family
IMHO the best fitting jacket
thanks! That specific jacket had shrunk a little in torso and sleeves width after the initial wash and I have gained a little since. Now it's a snug fit with only a light shirt underneath. I had ordered a second blue one shortly after, but this had shed fibers like mad. But it seemed to have stopped shedding. I have some more Deck Jackets now to chose from depending on if I want to layer or not or just want a different look. Plus I had cut my hair short quite some time ago, which makes a huge difference in how these jackets look on one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112