Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will your new jacket ever look vintage?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IH is Iron Heart, yes? How do you find the horsehide? Is it stiff-ish but still soft? It's great looking and I love the sheen. Well done.
the leather in the riders jacket is soft and smooth like nothing else I've owned. one of the nicer off the rack jackets you can own..
Boyo is spot on here. It feels more like a cashmere sweater than a leather jacket, and I’m not even joking about that. The sheen has dulled down with wear although a light coat of Pecards brings it right back.
I am very happy with this jacket but it is stupidly expensive and I will not pretend that you need to spend that kind of money to have a great jacket. Having said that I recently bought the IH Type 3 made with the same horsehide so I am definitely a fan.
Here are a couple shots of the jacket from today
IMG_0148.jpeg
IMG_0149.jpeg

greenc

Familiar Face
Boyo is spot on here. It feels more like a cashmere sweater than a leather jacket, and I’m not even joking about that. The sheen has dulled down with wear although a light coat of Pecards brings it right back.
I am very happy with this jacket but it is stupidly expensive and I will not pretend that you need to spend that kind of money to have a great jacket. Having said that I recently bought the IH Type 3 made with the same horsehide so I am definitely a fan.
Here are a couple shots of the jacket from today
View attachment 614029 View attachment 614030
That's a good looking jacket and it doesn't appear to be very long - I've seen some Vanson Model Bs that were extremely long in the back, which I don't prefer. This one looks great.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a good looking jacket and it doesn't appear to be very long - I've seen some Vanson Model Bs that were extremely long in the back, which I don't prefer. This one looks great.

I don't know about that particular jacket but Iron Heart stuff is famous for being extremely long.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
It’s definitely not the most flattering type of distressing (for lack of a better term), but the weird thing with it is while I don’t like it up close, I think it looks cool on someone else.

Pecards‘ tinted cream is not a bad solution; it’s not actually a dye so there’s no splotchiness or paint, just a smoother transition.
Thanks! I'll check it out. I'm also looking at the saphir tinted cream polishes. I've had good luck with their products.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Thanks much for that, I think the C2 is a killer jacket and in the smaller sizes (34, 36) there are always some available on Mercari, etc.

Do you have any experience with Octagon leather? Is it grey at its core or does the reddish-brown go all the way through? Wondering if it wears in similar fashion.
No, sorry. This is my only Vanson. I'm sure there are others on here who could answer that, though.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
That's a gorgeous jacket, is it really as black in real life as it appears in the photos?
I guess the blue contrast lining makes the leather look deeper black?

IMG_0320.jpeg

I don't like how Vanson's go grey along the scuffs,

@Marc mndt I understand your point about the Indigo Y'2 but I think I'd still prefer this than the greying of a Vanson along the scuffs

I am indeed not a fan of that. I'm wearing the jacket right now and I love the jacket itself, but am not a fan of thst aspect.

I owned a handful of Vansons but I never noticed any greying. Just natural wear. Maybe it looks different / bad because Vanson's cuffs aren't hemmed?

Is this the kind of wear we're talking about?

IMG_0321.jpeg

greenc

Familiar Face

View attachment 614044

I owned a handful of Vansons but I never noticed any greying. Just natural wear. Maybe it looks different / bad because Vanson's cuffs aren't hemmed?

View attachment 614045
Hi Marc, yes that's the grey I'm referencing, although it looks brown-ish on yours. And to be clear, the greying is not my favourite but it's definitely not a deal breaker, nor would it prevent me from purchasing a C2. I do love the contrast between the black leather and the brass zippers and snaps.

I've seen a few C2s with patches and pins that I thought were really cool. I could never bring myself to poking a pin through the leather but a patch is a different story in my mind, particularly if the lining is opened and it's done the right way.

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
4 year old Aero Premier Highwayman (lots of fading to brown on this blackened brown vicenza)
3 year old Real McCoy's J100 (barely any teacore coming through, only a bit on the zipper and arm seams)
4 month old Real McCoy's Nelson (this one flakes off real easily around edges)

The way I see it, I'm in my 40s now, I'd rather enjoy this look now while I'm alive, and still be able to pull off the look.

As you can tell, I wear these jackets pretty regularly.

5xwBJXx.jpeg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 614044

View attachment 614045
That looks fairly similar to the wear on mine, though mine has a lot more of it. And it looks slightly different. Very ugly to my eyes. It's not just on the cuffs with mine.

bolted

New in Town
I’ll ad an observation.
Most genuine vintage coats were before their info was barcoded, never mind that square QR thingie. Imitation’s are always inferior. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats