Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Willis and Geiger B-3 jackets.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
at age 19, my first A-2 was a W&G...1985....was a great jacket...wore it for 6 years straight, was 285.00 I loved it, then bought a bigger W&G, and quality was baaaaaaaad...hide was bad, color was bad, lining was bad....zipper phooey,......

It's a shame about the second jacket !
At least you had the nice one & hopefully
you know what to look for in a jacket in the future.

The problem is that it is difficult to determine if
we like it based on photos online. Even the
colors can be misleading. There are some that
might have the option to return if not satisfied.
But on custom work, I'm not sure.
I know first hand that GoodWear has sent me
samples of the various leathers that are available.
Which does help a lot.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Look, All I know is I make minimum Wage, will never be able to soar with Eagles because I work with Turkeys.

This Jacket was *Just* in price range, and no one will bat an eye if this Jacket gets Dragged under a Truck.

I cant Take it back, it was an online purchase and pre-used, so If I dont like it, Im stuck with it now.

there could be more things wrong with it than I bargained for, like bad smells for one thing..

The price was fair, no profit margin if I re-sold it in the future either, so this was a real big Gamble with my money, quality aside.

IT looked like a decent enough Jacket from the photos compared to my Avirex Jacket like I said, it has no Slash pockets and has the Double buckle collar and shoulder tags for insignia and of course the Front pocket and rounded collar snaps and paneling on the arms like an original, so I figure I cant afford an Eastman, this thing would have to do for now.

thor

One Too Many
Every W&G jacket I've owned were all good quality. While not 100% accurate, their repro military jackets were well constructed and looked close enough to the originals for the casual observer to recognize it as an A-2 or G-1 or B-3. Not everyone can afford or wants to spend 1-2K for a reproduction jacket. It's great that there are so many price points for leather jackets and that there's so many choices for all of us.
If the jacket fits well and it looks good, then enjoy it and wear it in good health, DD.

Stand By

One Too Many
Every W&G jacket I've owned were all good quality. While not 100% accurate, their repro military jackets were well constructed and looked close enough to the originals for the casual observer to recognize it as an A-2 or G-1 or B-3. Not everyone can afford or wants to spend 1-2K for a reproduction jacket. It's great that there are so many price points for leather jackets and that there's so many choices for all of us.
If the jacket fits well and it looks good, then enjoy it and wear it in good health, DD.

What Thor said. Right on.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Sorry to read your misfortune, but:
1) maybe buy less jackets and save for a good one,
2) right now 2nd handed Good Wear, Eastman, Aero, BR, RMC, sell for very low money...
None is receiving 1-2K for a repro nowadays.
Sorry my humble ( experience) opinion.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
No misfortune, it will be a great Jacket, and Since its in a lower price range and quality than top of the line, it will see regular wear and tear.

mr_lits

A-List Customer
I think I may be about to commit a blaspheme but I have had jackets from some of what we consider the finest makers. And all are beautiful jackets but spending 1K on a jacket doesn't automatically mean it is right for the wearer. I've seen $20 cheapies shine like gems on the right person. Wear your B3 with pride and without concern... besides you'll probably be out having more fun it it than you would babying the hell out of an Eastman.... and most people won't even notice the differences in the jackets.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Sure, paying 1K is buying it new...and to highly priced (unless made on order).
Two RW B-3 from Eastman were sold for 460 Euro on Ebay.de, just very recently....
Anayway, good luck.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Many years ago, I owned a “bomber" jacket with the label, Abercrombie & Fitch.
I received several compliments on the looks of the leather. One stranger on the street stopped to ask
where he could find a similar jacket with all the patina & wear.
This was before I knew or heard of leather jackets having designations like
type A-1, A-2, G-1 & so on.

My first entry into the world of leather jackets was when I bought a HH A-2 “MacArthur” edition
by the old Avirex company.

But that first jacket, was a real pleasure to wear even though it was not at all authentic in detail.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
The Jacket arrived today, Went to pick it up, Was not in the least bit disappointed, on the contrary, it was much better than I was expecting, nice and solid. I think its a bit nicer than my Avirex Jacket even.

I promise some pics and detailed Review soon as I can, thanks for being patient.

Update;

Feels a lot *roomier* than the Avirex Size 46, though It should fit right when bulking up layers under it in the winter Season IE Scarf and Sweater etc.

The sleeves feel nice like an original, again, bit bigger than the Avirex but a better overall pattern and colour etc.

The leather is not like Chrome tanning at all, BUT.. its still Very High quality and superb texture and luster. The Tape is like an original and its sewn with something like %100 Cotton thread like an original.

Very happy owner!!! (oh and the Tag is on the inside where the pocket goes.)

34rg.jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

kjhb.jpg

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
It shows very little wear.

Thanks!

Do you think it looks like a proper fit is my next question, It does feel long and wide...but then again the Arms do feel Just right when I bend over and tie my shoe for example, the Jacket barely Stretched so that Is telling me its about right.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It shows very little wear.

Thanks!

Do you think it looks like a proper fit is my next question, It does feel long and wide...but then again the Arms do feel Just right when I bend over and tie my shoe for example, the Jacket barely Stretched so that Is telling me its about right.

I’m 6’ 3” & weigh 200 lbs.
My jacket is slightly short on the waist. But around the shoulders & sleeves, it ’s fine.
My A-1 & A2s are more form-fitting. This jacket isn’t, but I enjoy it nevertheless.
when the weather is painfully freezing, I enjoy wearing it. It is very comfortable .
If you like it ...keep it & enjoy it.

200s6yd.png

Last edited:

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Very nice jackets gents! I am impressed by the very good look and quality of your jacket DD.
Surely prices have droped a lot recently.
Prime makers will have to watch out if they keep theire high price policy. A lot of high quality alternatives on the market right now...New stuff and second hand jackets...good prices...not even 50% of the new.
Lets wait and see how the winter items will go.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Thanks, I knew it wasnt so bad after all.

Here is one problem Im having however:

The leather on the Sleeves of the Willis and geiger Jacket are getting somewhat stained and blotchy by absorbing the oil off the Avirex Jacket when I put it on top for a few nights (oops!!!) showing no sign of drying back up and returning to normal. the leather could be darkened in some spots now from the oil that touched it, I wonder if there is anything that can be done. It started to get the look like a paper bag that has some grease spots if you know what I mean.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I believe it can be gently washed out...warm water and a very soft soap will do.
Its not the oil but the Avirex dye- color... Avirex jackets tend to loose their color...had it on a " Top -Gun " G-1 a few years back...colored my white Polo shirt I wore underneath...
Should go away by hand washing.
Good luck.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Well, Im pretty sure its The neatsfoot oil I put on the Avirex Jacket Last winter still.

what Im going to do is wait! before I do any washing. If the leather is still dark in those spots after several months I might be inclined to do something that dramatic. But Its a pretty new Jacket I dont plan to put through the wringer Just yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ