Windward jackets by Montgomery Ward (and copies)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Windward, Jan 29, 2009.

1. New one on me. Crazy measurement. :eusa_doh:[huh]

2. Gromulus

Gromulus Practically Family

Hmmm. If it was four sizes bigger I would have been interested!

3. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Did she include the collar or is she just incompetent?

4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

No....!

"Measures 21.5 inch pit to pit , 25 inch top to bottom(top of shoulder seam, not including collar to bottom), 24 inch shoulder to cuff, 17 inch shoulder to shoulder"

5. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Incompetent. Have you advised her to take more care in future? She really needs some robust feedback.

6. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

I'm surprised this improper way of measuring is a shock to anyone. I've seen it a handful of times.

7. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

I've had a repro which I won't name because mistakes or variances happen, and who knows, I could have measured incorrectly at the time. But I remember having the impression the same thing happened where the length I specified in my order was precise only when including the front thing.

8. GriffDeLaGriff

GriffDeLaGriff One Too Many

Sounds like she is measuring like "A" in this pic:
    [​IMG]

I understand that measurement of the front if it was a shirt (even though I stil feel "zipper-length" is better), but this could be what she is doing by folding up the top seem on the shoulder and measuring from that maybe it gets longer?

/edit/ dont know if it will be that much longer but still this is how I interpret what she says.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  9. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

So this is what is going on...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a measurement that doesn't help.

10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Here are more pictures of the jacket:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the fit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It might be fine for the "vintage look", but I prefer mine a tad longer like my GW
    [​IMG]

Any suggestions on conditioning it before the sale? I'm not quite sure as the look now is pretty awesome. It's not stiff.
    Cheers,
    Handymike

davyjones007 likes this.
  11. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Jacket fits perfectly, not too short. If mine had fit like that, I would've kept it.

edit: Imho it looks even better than your GW. I would recommend you to Keep the jacket for at least 4 weeks and put it on every now and then. Sometimes, with shorter jackets, you need a moment to get used to them but then you enjoy them a lot. That is what happened to me with my Vanson Stadium, at first I was in shock at how short it was, now it's my currently most worn jacket. Because short in this context does not mean too short, it's just a getting used to something different, but good, too.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  12. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Keep it man! Here's mine (and it's short too). Much prefer your model though.
    image.jpg

davyjones007 likes this.
  13. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Short paranoia. Don't let it force a bad sale! Those pics look good. To me. Guys, there's all different styles.

14. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Handymike, the fit looks sharp and suits the style completely. To me, that's a keeper!

15. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

You can certainly get away with it Mike, but do you like that look? Nice to see more of these on different people. Still not sure it's a pattern I much care for.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  16. Edward

Edward Bartender

Honestly, I wouldn't be in a rush to sell this one if you like the Windward style. They're supposed to be a shorter jacket - I do think the cut would look all wrong if you took it to the length of the other jacket in your post. Looks great on you, IMO.

As to conditioning, if it's dry I'd give it a good Pacarding, but otherwise leave it alone.

17. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

+1

18. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Yeah, I'll second what I said before. Don't rush selling it, sometimes love takes a while and that fit is great. If you do sell it, drop me a msg before selling please, might be interested.

19. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

That's a beautiful jacket, and I can't imagine a better fit. I believe that's exactly the way it's supposed to look. I wouldn't think of selling it.

20. A-1

A-1 One Too Many

Dear handymike,
    To be honest, if you do not keep this jacket, you will regret it! This is one of the best fits I’ve seen around here.
    It’s a wonderful jacket and it fits and suits you perfectly.
    Spoken plainly, if you don’t mind. Don’t be a fool and sell this jacket.