Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Snow Boots

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
I don't necessarily need anything "serious" just something to get me through the winter. At 24, $300+ for any shoes is just out of my price range.

I'm just looking for something store-bought. I may try some red-wings but even those are $200+

cookie said:
http://bootsonline.com.au/

Your price is too low for anything serious IMO.

celtic

A-List Customer
I like the Timberland Earthkeeper line and have been thinking about getting a pair of boots.

I don't have much experience with Alfani (I bought a pair online from Macy's and returned for a poor fit) but generally Timberlands are pretty decent in MY HUMBLE opinion.

I don't own ANY boots that cost over a couple hundred dollars and I think it's preposterous to think that one needs to buy Aldens or RM Williams to have a workable winter boot.

I know that I would cringe every time I put a $400 pair of boots into the salty muck of my town. The salt, snow and sleet ruin shoes and boots over a short period of time, and I imagine that A-town is quite similar to here in central NY in the winter.

Are $400-500 dollar boots nice? Sure.

Can a young man cover his feet with a decent looking boot that will keep snow and water off his feet for less than that ? YES.

I've owned pairs Red Wings, Wolverines, Georgia, Carolina, Timberlands, etc that I've been satisfied with as winter boots.

You might also look at The Sportsman's Guide and Bargain Outfitters (sister shops) as they usually have some decent boots at lower than retail prices. You'll find a lot of shineable workboot types that actually aren't too bad with a shine. Also think about Military boots.

edit:
added links.

celtic

A-List Customer
A few of us on the FL have those LL Bean boots.

if you do a search here on Katahdin you will find a couple of threads, and I believe someone here posted pics of them polished. I haven't polished mine, so they look more like nubuck.

I got mine at a local outlet for around $70-80 if I remember correctly...

They're quite comfortable and look great with jeans and would probably work for business casual if your company isn't that strict.

I didn't mention them before because I usually am a bit more dressy for work and mine are more 'scuffed up' looking because they aren't polished.

edit:

perhaps I am QUITE jaded here (we routinely get more than 100" of snowfall a year) but most of the time I wear lugsole workboot/hunting boots during the winter and change into dress shoes at work. I like a deeper lug sole than the Katahdin has for true winter. But for most people, it may be just fine.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Thanks, we don't really get all that much snow, maybe acumulate a foot or so over the winter. More just slush and such. I want some tread but doesn't have to be terribly aggressive. My dress shoes are just plain ol leather with no tread. Then again I've been known to go traipsing in the snow in cowboy boots, also with no tread.

I'm looking to replace some tattered New Balance shoes that are somewhere between sneakers and hiking boots... I wear them to work and haven't had anyone comment negativelly so I suspect the LL Bean would be fine as well. Not too many people here wear actual dress shoes, I'm one of the few that does. I like to be a little above par.

celtic

A-List Customer
Well, in THAT case, your possibilities are endless, really.

One particular boot that I own and wore today is the Rockport Farnum.

They're sort of dressy but can work with jeans. I don't know if they are still made, but there are always a few new pairs on ebay (that's where I got mine, actually). They are completely waterproof and pretty comfy.

Quite a few Rockport shoes and boots are waterproof. They won't last forever and most can't be resoled, but you can find them pretty cheaply.

Additionally, if you don't mind moc-toe, they are really in style this year and you can find them all over the place by many different makers.

By the way, http://www.6pm.com/ is the outlet for Zappos.com and they have crazy deals...they usually do a blowout on a couple brands for at least half off retail a couple times a week. Get on their email list and they send you the updates. A couple weeks ago they had Bass shoes and boots for like $15-20.
I have ordered 3-4 pairs of shoes from 6pm and they always come quickly. They're always cheaper than anyplace else when they do their blowout sales.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BBshriver I use these. I am going out right now to do some snow removal on my driveway all 350+ feet of it. These work fine. I have Timberlands, but, I use them when I am chopping trees down. I also have old fashioned LL Bean boots I use them for heavy rain. In winter I use my cowboy boots or Trask boots.

The science behind the Insulated Comfort Boots is that they are fashioned after sneakers LLBean sells them for $64 and they are insulated. They give me enough tread and I can maneuver in them. I have them in Men's Black.

091109_BROWSE_w-footwear-form2.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Not sure on the double buckle boots.

But these have served me very well in snow, rain, sleet, slush and mud.
Time for a resole, though, on the short pair.
P1130572.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can anyone tell me how the late-war double-buckle combat boots fare in the snow? When worn with wool socks, of course.

-Dave

Hi, the double buckle boots are roughout on the bottom 2/3 of the boot. This would mean that the salt would really soak into the leather and look crappy. I have a pair of roughouts that do NOT get worn in the winter, I use them as more of a work boot. I've gotten them wet, but not salted. I had an old pair of cowboy boots that got salted and they looked really bad.

Later

Annixter

Practically Family
What Winter Shoes or Boots do You Wear?

[Edit: Thanks whoever merged my thread here; my questions are answered.]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner