Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wiring mens hat brims

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
You're more than welcome :)

The old book on hat refinishing is a great find. BUT in some ways (at least here in the USA) today you would have to be a certified and licensed chemist to procure and own and use most if not all the different chemical compounds mentioned for the use of cleaning a hat. The only one element of a chemical that could be used without needing some special certification or license would be the use of "gasoline" as made mention in that book. However that term gasoline, is that just ordinary gasoline for an automobile, or "camp gas/Naptha"???

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
That sounds really strange to me. My copy is tugged away at the moment, so I can't check it out right now. I've got plenty of books on other subjects where the mentioned substances would be impossible to obtain today - but that's not at all as I remember Ermatinger's book ... on the contrary :)

Furthermore it's my impression, that EU-restrictions on chemistry generally are a lot stricter than the American.

I don't remember the specifics around the mentioning of "gasoline", but I strongly believe he meant the stuff, you call "naphtha". Actually "naphtha" does not make a lot of sense either, as that is a generic term covering hundreds of very different substances. Among them are: Hexane, paraffin, petroleum ether, white gas, cleaning benzine and many many others :)

Though here on TFL "naphtha" usually means "camping gas", "lighter fluid" or "cleaning benzine" ... which is more or less one and the same substance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo