Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Withnail's Coat

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
As this is the 30th anniversary year of the film Withnail & I, Andrea Galer is working on a project, "Coat Tales", involving fans who have bought the coat over the years. Among other projects, she is developing a coat that will be a "faithful" reproduction of the film version. I have exchanged photos and text with Andrea, but am not yet "up".

More to follow:

http://www.andrea-galer.co.uk/withnail-coat-tales/

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
A self portrait of sorts, myself in my Withnail coat, beside my Withnail license plate:

36753428710_445f2ae791_b.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Wow. I was always astonished that Grant didn't drink alcohol or smoke in real life. Not many actors can convince you they are lushes on film even if they do imbibe in the real world.

Did we even see Galer's more accurate reproduction of the coat?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I looked at her site today and I didn't see anything about that. I think the double-breasted version which she sells, though it might be screen innaccurate (the costume coat was single-breasted with a large overlap), is actually more usable and practical for 'civilian' use and I think she's smart to stick with that version. Not that this coat is practical in any way!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Wow. I was always astonished that Grant didn't drink alcohol or smoke in real life. Not many actors can convince you they are lushes on film even if they do imbibe in the real world.

I spoke with Andrea this past spring. The true original can be made to order, as is the double breasted, but she rarely receives requests. Even her off the shelf if you will is not cheap.

I have a bespoke DB, it was an investment shall we say! Surprisingly warm, great in the fall. So far no one has recognized it. Only three people have known what my license plate means. Suits me just fine!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My copies of W and I have a 1997 tenth anniversary look back. Brucee Robinson insisted that Grant have a "chemical memory" of what it is like to be drunk, so Grant obliged by getting smashed on vodka. And so violently ill he brought up what Robinson called a "Persian carpet", which Robinson had to clean up!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My copies of W and I have a 1997 tenth anniversary look back. Brucee Robinson insisted that Grant have a "chemical memory" of what it is like to be drunk, so Grant obliged by getting smashed on vodka. And so violently ill he brought up what Robinson called a "Persian carpet", which Robinson had to clean up!

I remember the introductory essay Robinson wrote about the writing of the script and the real W, is an elegiac masterpiece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran