Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women’s hats (Akubra?)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good day all. My wife wants a hat for this coming camping season and wants me to order an akubra for her. I originally thought of getting her a Rodeo Red Snowy River. She liked it but thought it would be more of a fun hat for later. She wants a more practical coloured one for right now, like the santone fawn I have. As for style all I got from her was “I don’t want to look stupid”. So I am coming to you guys for some help. Ladies please jump in as well. I am leaning towards the County line they produce and as she said the beige earth tones (sand, fawn ect.) She likes my Snowy river and pointed out the Spirit of Australia on-line. I just don’t want to buy something she is not going to like and never wear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Johnny

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
On the Akubra website there is a lovely hat that states it is designed specifically for the ladies -- and it looks nice, also practical. If you go to the Akubra website, it is under the Special Styles and is called the Ascot.

http://www.akubra.com

I may want to order that one for myself.

Also, I have the Campdraft, a Snowy River, and a Federation. All are nice hats, the Snowy River I think of more as a cowboy hat, however, and it is a bit too stiff. I think most of the Akubra Aussie-style hats look fine on women and I have seen women wearing them. Does she prefer the cowboy hat to the Australian style?

Now, I have to go investigate that Ascot, see where I can find one.

karol

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I know Akubra has or had an outback hat designed for women (including the bow/buckle on the right side of the hat). However, I haven't bumped into it for a while. Maybe somebody here will remember what it's called.

Otherwise, I think the Pastorialist or Campdraft would be nice, especially bashed the way they are pictured on Hatsdirect and Everything Australian (respectively).

Russ

One of the Regulars
If the hat is for camping and other outdoor activities, then I would go for the regular lines of hats, and not models specically aimed at ladies. From the photos I've seen of the outback in Australia, the women wear the same hat styles as the men. I think ladies styles (and colors) are more for city fashions.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I already took her to the only hat shop in Edmonton. Unfortunately it is full of Bailey hats sized small medium and large. But what I did get out of it is she likes the flat turned down brims. So I am thinking of ordering a Banjo Paterson in fawn. But she will most likely change her mind by next week. Woman’s prerogative and all.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot