Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women and beer advertising of the Golden Era...

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Funny how many of them are from Japan.
Especially interesting is the one of the young woman who's carrying the beer bottle on her shoulder. Her shadow is that of a soldier with a gun. Not just an ad, but propaganda as well. I guess this dates around the late '30 to just into the '40s.

swinggal

One Too Many
Yep...

44schlitzbeer.jpg

43schlitzbeer.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I think you might be flattering the ladies just a little bit to suggest they're helping sell beer to men. I mean, they're not hurting, but I think we'd probably drink the stuff anyhow... ;)

swinggal

One Too Many
Yeah, was just quoting the page from where the first set came. Lots of ladies drank beer back in the day too. Both my grandmother and nana drank 'shandies' and I've seen pics from the 30s and 40s with them holding petite glasses of beer at gatherings. They certainly never drank from a bottle...so maybe the ads were to appeal to both sexes.

Not all men like beer either...I have quite a few male friends that don't.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
LaMedicine said:
Funny how many of them are from Japan.
Especially interesting is the one of the young woman who's carrying the beer bottle on her shoulder. Her shadow is that of a soldier with a gun. Not just an ad, but propaganda as well. I guess this dates around the late '30 to just into the '40s.

I was reading an Izakaya cookbook recently that was talking about how mizugi beer campaign girls have fallen out of favour, but there was no mention of how long it had been popular!

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
I was reading an Izakaya cookbook recently that was talking about how mizugi beer campaign girls have fallen out of favour, but there was no mention of how long it had been popular!
I think from the mid '60s. I remember summer make up TV CM campaigns of cosmetic companies featuring mizugi (swim suit) girls as well, and being featured in such summer campaigns were very big breaks for aspiring fashion models, starlets and idols.

Incidentally, the rather scantily clad girls posters would have been very provocative during the times (I'd place these in the late '20 to '30s) so they probably were displayed only in clubs and cabarets, not in public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner