Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women without hats

Brooksie

One Too Many
I absolutly LOVE hats and I have a collection of hats (about 15 at the moment) but I have incredibly flat, straight, fine hair - hence the very convenient Louise Brooks bob that I have - that when I wear a hat my hair just gets flatter plus my hair gets oily very easy. So, sadly I do not wear my hats very often. But I am going to try to wear them more now because I do love them and it seems such a shame to have them sit around in my hat boxes and on my vintage hat stands. However I got the most milleage out of my hats when I had my booth at the Portland Saturday market especially durring the winter 'cause it gets cold standing outside every weekend until the market closes down on Christmas Eve. then opens up again in spring. I had the chance to wear my fedora's even, because down at the market fashionbly speaking anything goes you can dress up or down as much as you like but for the most part there is just a bunch of hippy's there.

Brooksie

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
I wear hats a lot as well. Mainly mens hats, cause womens hats (off the rack) are too small for my head and LARGE hair. Fineman hats are fantabulious and custom made! Imma get a few from there...when I can :rolleyes:

LD

Those mannequin heads in the men's hat section look funny with mustashes.

I see women every once in a while wearing a hat, and they're usually not baseball caps. Berets or newsboys. Sometimes visors.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Jay Leno's guest, on right now, needs a hat.

Jay Leno's guest, on right now, needs a hat.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Davidson said:
I can see that in a workplace. Many women live very busy lives, and I often see them out running errands, grocery shopping, whatever. And they have hairstyles that take time to look at their best. So I see a lot of ponytails, clipped-back hair, whatever they can do to manage their hair when there's no time. It seems to me that there must be styles and forms of hats that would be helpful to them in managing their appearance when there's "no time" to do their hair.

I've never subscribed to the "no time" excuse. I have thick hair, and it takes me only 10 minutes to style it in the morning. It takes even less time if I just put it up. Women's lives were just as busy, if not more so, from the 20s to the 40s.

In the winter, I put on a hat for warmth. One winter hat is a Nordic stocking cap, the other is a gray fleece roll cap with a pink fabric rose pinned to it. I've had many compliments on it.

In the summer, I put on a hat for shade. I have a white straw hat with a navy ribbon and white pickstitching, plus a green fedora and a white fedora. My head can get a little warm, but it's better than the Colorado sun roasting my face.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I have exactly four hats. Two from the 20s and two are from who knows what era (I'd guess 40s or 50s).

I really like hats. I need to incorporate them in to my everyday wear. :D

texasgirl

One Too Many
I lost out on this beauty, it went too high! This seller has some other beautiful hats. And she is in Studio City? I wonder if they are from movies or something.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260106649830&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

34d2_12.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
My wife asked me to get her a hat

to wear at our daughter's wedding. I've managed to get two she liked, but now we're waiting to see what they look like on her.

1c32_1_b.JPG

98.jpg

Hopefully she'll like one of them one her!

Cheers,
Tom

MA&PA 40's

New in Town
I love hats, I always have, but I've just recently started to wear them more often. Long before I found that I liked all things 30's and 40's, I was a huge fan of womens fashion in the 50's. (Is everyone gasping in shock, or is that o.k. to admit that here.) So, most of my current hats tend to lean more that direction. I like to dabble in millinery, so my favorite thing to do, is find a beat up ugly hat in an antique store, use it as a pattern and make up my own. For those of you that are lamenting the prices of hats, may I suggest, if you have sewing skills, when buying fabric for your attire, always buy a little extra for using on a matching hat, and try making one yourself. Vogue has made a lot of vintage hat patterns available now, and they may look complicated, but they really aren't. I'm glad to see there are so many people leaning towards wearing hats again, we'll all be in good company.

swinggal

One Too Many
Reviving an old thread - I wear hats a lot. Today I am wearing a beret to work and I have 4 to choose from including some vintage ones. I love hats and have quite a few newer ones and a tonne of vintage ones. I believe there are ladies at my work who started being brave enough to wear hats again because of me :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
swinggal said:
Me in some hats:

Black vintage beret and 30s dress
27778_401627991891_664876891_4794603_3597397_n.jpg

1930s felt hat
24060_384088516575_717536575_4414638_8327776_n.jpg

Grey beret on the Queen Mary
31512_394002426575_717536575_4647520_7231630_n.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg
I admire your guts to wear all of the old style hats. You certainly can pull them off. I especially like the first one, which is very fetching. A few of those styles I've not seen outside the old movies, and wondered how they might look on someone real today. One of the reasons I like to see it done well, is that even for men, it opens up new fashion space in the sense of enlarging the menu about what is possible. Vintage hats are a possible road out of the fashion ruts each decade sinks into. Congratulations on your hat-wearing prowess.

swinggal

One Too Many
Thanks Dano but I think Lauren is the queen of hat wearing here. She has the best hats ever! Pics of her in hats just look right. But hair plays a big role too. I don't think hats of the 30s and 40s look right without the vintage hair set to set them off.

The curls, waves and rolls of the 30s, 40s and 50s regulated how a hat could or couldn't be worn, so how you styled your hair on a particular day (or week, as was generally the case) would govern what style of hat you could wear...so planning ahead was needed. Balance is everything with 30s and 40s hats. The flat hairstyles of today make most of the hats of the that era look lopsided and odd and there is no height or bulk in the hair to balance out hats that tilt or are not symmetrical.

Berets being the exception I think. Modern hair is fine with them but I love them 30s style with waves peeking out. You can wear vintage hats with modern hair too...but I just don't think it works and people end up looking frumpy instead of sophisticated as the hats of that time weren't made for 1 dimensiona hair.

1920s style cloche hats and brow height hats however DO work with modern hair because they sit close to the head and all the hair is tucked under. I've seen a big revival of those in the last 3 years from expensive milliners right down to places like Target stocking them. So that's an option for people wanting to try wearing a more sophisticated hat style.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
I don't always wear hats, but when the occasion or outfit calls for it, I enjoy wearing them. Wore one in particular (in the "what hat are you wearing today" thread) that is now a favorite.

Couple of hats (pardon the non-styled hair - I agree with swinggal that certain hats look much better with hair styled to fit the era):

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL