Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Won This Tyson. What's a Tyson?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I won this hat for just $35 and it looks in great shape! It is a light brown though the pics make it look gray. It is a Tyson, but I can't seem to find anything about "The Tyson."

What is everyone's opinion of this lid?

hat1-1.jpg

hat2.jpg

hat3.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Brian Sheridan said:
Funny...but that doesn't help me. LOL

With the store information on the liner, it's probably a store model that would have been made by one of the large companies. If there's no information behind the sweat, that's about as far as it goes.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Lefty said:
With the store information on the liner, it's probably a store model that would have been made by one of the large companies. If there's no information behind the sweat, that's about as far as it goes.

You may be right about that. I found another hat (a porkpie) on Ebay from the same store - Fred's - and it says "The Tyson Exclusively at Fred's Hats - Fairmount Fair, Syracuse, NY. Anyone from Syracuse heard of Fred's?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Brian,

For what it's worth, the hat box in your photo is virtually identical to an Adam hat box that I have seen at a local antique mall. Here is one that is on OFAS...

adam.jpg

I can't tell if the hat box in your photo is marked as an Adam, but it could be as others have said...the Tyson was the house brand for the store and may have been made by Adam Hats.

Then again, the store owner/seller may have had an extra Adam hat box hanging around and stuffed this hat into it. [huh]

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
The arrived at it is a beauty! I'll post pics as soon as I have time

I emailed the seller and asked if she knew anything about the hat. She responded with this:

It belonged to my father-in-law, who is now age 90. My husband tells me that his Dad seldom wore a hat, so that explains why it is in such good condition. This one appears to have sat in the box on the closet shelf for most of its life. It was purchased at Fred's Mens Shop, in the hat department, as the label says. That store is no longer in business.

It is so cool to be able to resurrect a hat as sharp as this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran