Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wooden hangers?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
What annoying is when you cant find the exact color of wooden hanger you bought last time, so the rack ends up with mismatching all kind of slightly different brown shade wooden hangers.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
No one is cutting the rainforest to build coat hangers...
I have to say this is the first time i see someone trying to protect nature by promoting plastic, it seems counter productive to me!
It's counterintuitive, but sometimes using non-renewables is better.
Wood is renewable, is a carbon sink as it grows and is biodegradable when you are done using it, to me there are only positives to using wood hangers, and i can't think of a single positive for plastic ones.
Trees are only a carbon sink if you don't cut them down. They're renewable but take decades to grow. They also provide habitats for wildlife which argues against cutting them down. If we start using wood for more things, as the "greener" choice, then we'll have to set aside large swathes of the planet's surface to grow them. Wood is rapidly becoming a luxury product for much of the world.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Ebony hangers would be nice, heavy though. If I was making my own I think I'd go for Cedar for the moth repellant properties.
Wouldn't the varnishing or whatever kill whatever moth repellency cedar provides? And I think they'd have to be varnished to protect the wood from moisture and mold growth.

In wet climates, wooden hangers can promote mold growth by retaining moisture. Every jacket I’ve gotten from the UK has smelled of mold or must. I’d go for plastic there.

Dav

One Too Many
Wouldn't the varnishing or whatever kill whatever moth repellency cedar provides? And I think they'd have to be varnished to protect the wood from moisture and mold growth.
Fair point, I hadn't thought about mold, must say the couple I have don't seem to have that issue though and I live in a rather damp area.
Edit
Just looked at mine, they aren't varnished so let the natural cedar smell out.
I seem to recall reading that you're supposed to give them a light sand occasionally to maintain the scent.

Last edited:
Fair point, I hadn't thought about mold, must say the couple I have don't seem to have that issue though and I live in a rather damp area.
Edit
Just looked at mine, they aren't varnished so let the natural cedar smell out.
I seem to recall reading that you're supposed to give them a light sand occasionally to maintain the scent.

I scrub them and then add some cedar oil. Let it soak in and the nice smelling odor keeps critters at bay.

Reactions: Dav

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I "pledge" my wooden shoetrees every now and then. I check my wooden hangers are all woodstained and varnished.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
It's counterintuitive, but sometimes using non-renewables is better.

Trees are only a carbon sink if you don't cut them down. They're renewable but take decades to grow. They also provide habitats for wildlife which argues against cutting them down. If we start using wood for more things, as the "greener" choice, then we'll have to set aside large swathes of the planet's surface to grow them. Wood is rapidly becoming a luxury product for much of the world.
Trees are a carbon sink while they grow, they pull CO2 from the atmosphere and turn it into wood. The wood is the sink. As long as the wood doesn't get released back into the atmosphere through burning, it's good. Living trees do continue to pull carbon out of the sky, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points