Wooden hangers?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Jrolfe, Dec 1, 2019 at 2:44 AM.

1. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

What annoying is when you cant find the exact color of wooden hanger you bought last time, so the rack ends up with mismatching all kind of slightly different brown shade wooden hangers.

2. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

It's counterintuitive, but sometimes using non-renewables is better.
    Trees are only a carbon sink if you don't cut them down. They're renewable but take decades to grow. They also provide habitats for wildlife which argues against cutting them down. If we start using wood for more things, as the "greener" choice, then we'll have to set aside large swathes of the planet's surface to grow them. Wood is rapidly becoming a luxury product for much of the world.

3. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

Wouldn't the varnishing or whatever kill whatever moth repellency cedar provides? And I think they'd have to be varnished to protect the wood from moisture and mold growth.

4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

In wet climates, wooden hangers can promote mold growth by retaining moisture. Every jacket I’ve gotten from the UK has smelled of mold or must. I’d go for plastic there.

5. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

I sniff at the fresh smelling wooden pencil for nostalgia, but i draw with mechanical plastic pencil:D

Peacoat and handymike like this.
  6. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Fair point, I hadn't thought about mold, must say the couple I have don't seem to have that issue though and I live in a rather damp area.
    Edit
    Just looked at mine, they aren't varnished so let the natural cedar smell out.
    I seem to recall reading that you're supposed to give them a light sand occasionally to maintain the scent.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 6:37 AM
  7. JMax

JMax Call Me a Cab

I scrub them and then add some cedar oil. Let it soak in and the nice smelling odor keeps critters at bay.

Dav likes this.
  8. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

I "pledge" my wooden shoetrees every now and then. I check my wooden hangers are all woodstained and varnished.

9. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Trees are a carbon sink while they grow, they pull CO2 from the atmosphere and turn it into wood. The wood is the sink. As long as the wood doesn't get released back into the atmosphere through burning, it's good. Living trees do continue to pull carbon out of the sky, though.

Carlos840 likes this.
  10. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab