Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work clothes

D

Deleted member 259

I imagine it would be pretty easy to wear your favorite 40's blouse or vintage wedges if you were a teacher or a secretary - But I work in a sceneshop where I have to worry about safety and function before fashion. I can't even wear lipstick because all the sawdust will stick to my lips!

The real down side is that I have to work directly after class - I don't want to go to class dressed like a bum, but i don't have time to change.

I've been rolling up the sleeves on men's old work shirts and pairing them with capris and either chucks or my Doc Martins. Put my hair up into a bandana and I feel a little more like Rosie the Riviter than your average "just rolled out of bed" college student.

Still, if you ladies (or peeking gentlemen) have any experience or ideas in perking up my work-wardrobe, I'd really appriciate it.

I was trying to find photos of women working on the assembly lines during WWII, but they are all in uniforms.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
destroyer.jpg

Hey Carpecaligo- what about actual 'workwear'? plenty of vintage workwear in smaller sizes
(I'm talking smaller mens' sizes)- or a 'quick-change' outfit- vintage dungarees/bib-overalls for
work then slip 'em off for school(with appropriate attire on of course.) I guess it's a little difficult
to think about vintage workwear without thinking about mens' workwear. But if you don't mind
wearing the mens' it's OK, I guess. But as far as vintage feminine work attire that's suitable for school?
that's a tall order...
Vintage (repro)Levis, saddle shoes...
My favorite mode of vintage dress is the working man-
the everyday clothes-
-boots, a hat, baggy pants, a shirt(maybe a tie), and a leather jacket-
-no-nonsense.
d4507-11.jpg
Rosies2.jpg

Sorry, I wasn't much help after all that squawking but looking at these pic's,
a good pair of vintage jeans,carpenters pants or dungarees might be useful .
BT.

D

Deleted member 259

Those pictures really helped a lot!
I hadn't thought about dungarees, thats a really good idea.

I don't mind wearing men's wear, but Its hard for me to do guys clothes because I'm very small - 5'3. And while that helps tremendously in finding Women's vintage - It might make men's workwear a little hard.

thanks!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Look on eBay in Vintage Clothing/mens/1930-46 and browse- you're lucky- should be able to find some classic stuff in tiny sizes and good condition for cheap. There's loads of old Lee and other brands of Dungarees, bib-overalls, work/uniform trousers, etc., and if you're in the line for a pair of Levis Vintage repros, you can expect to pay a lot less for a tiny size. Those side-zip or button jeans turn up in small waist sizes too and they're pure vintage bad-girl.
Just think- you can browse the mens' and womens' sections- lucky you!

Anyhoo, tra-la... (that didn't sound very macho...)

BT.

MissTayva

carpecaligo said:
And while that helps tremendously in finding Women's vintage - It might make men's workwear a little hard.

thanks!

I dunno, I always come across a lot of unisex looking stuff in really small sizes.

Check out sellers ladouchka and fenderskirt... they always have a lot of great stuff in smaller sizes, deadstock, too!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails