Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worthwhile Alternative to Aero Leathers???

Lungomare

A-List Customer
I've already fallen into that trap and lost £310 by trading in an almost new jacket I just wasn't 100% happy with. I asked all the right questions before ordering the new one.

So did I! But: We weren't 100% happy with our jacket (maybe 80%) and did want to get the most perfect fit - and we got it (at least I did). If I had bought the jacket, which I later traded in, in a street shop, I never would have had the idea to go back some weeks later and ask for trading in in order to buy a new one. No street shop would do it, and beside this they can't modify jackets coming off the rack! And we would live happily with the small fit problems (and later forget them).

But Aero can help us and does trade in our used jackets which don't make us happy for 100%. Of course we agree to pay half the price for a completey new and now perfectly modified jacket. This is our fad we are willing to pay for, not a mistake by Aero, who offers an excellent service to our mind of perfectionism!

Kind regards,

Johannes

wdw

One Too Many
I hear you, Johannes. It was easier to trade back to Aero than have all the hassle of ebay and the 15% or so fees. Better to spend an extra £300 and be happy than have nagging doubts.

I made the same mistake with a £900 Belstaff, selling for less than half price on ebay after only a few wears. That went towards my second Aero, though, which I was so much happier with, having got the dimensions correct.

wdw

One Too Many
True, Butte. My Aero traded in at just over 50%, but after fees on ebay I ended up at about 35% for that Belstaff and about 40% for another. Both Belstaffs were the most desirable as well. The fact that Belstaffs are 50% dearer than Aeros anyway just makes the pain that bit worse.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
I hear you, Johannes. It was easier to trade back to Aero than have all the hassle of ebay and the 15% or so fees. Better to spend an extra £300 and be happy than have nagging doubts.

Your arguments concerning ebay were the reason I decided for trading in - half the price was an excellent offer by Aero!

Regards,

Johannes

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
All this talk just reminds me how mad I am that I can't wear any jackets lol

X2! Everytime I log on to Fedora Lounge or VLJ I am reminded that I won't be able to wear my jackets until one of the first cool evenings in September.
As far as getting the correct size, I think I remember reading on one of these threads that Good Wear will let you ship one of your jackets that fits you best to them so they can replicate the exact dimensions. Is this true, and does Aero do this as well?

X2! Everytime I log on to Fedora Lounge or VLJ I am reminded that I won't be able to wear my jackets until one of the first cool evenings in September. As far as getting the correct size, I think I remember reading on one of these threads that Good Wear will let you ship one of your jackets that fits you best to them so they can replicate the exact dimensions. Is this true, and does Aero do this as well?__________________________________ Tom
I'd wager any company doing custom builds would like to see a properly fitting jacket in front of them. But the costs of shipping overseas and back would be pretty high. In the States, I think sending it to GW is smart, assuming you have one and it's of similar style.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Johnson Leathers

I'll add in another mention for Johnson Leathers.

I purchased a custom jacket from them last year. Alan and crew proved to be fantastic to work with — extremely accomodating. The transaction started with a few lengthy phone calls and emails. Leather swatches and a design drawing verifying my design changes were sent for me to look over. Also, a stock jacket was sent to me for a test fit. I understand that in some cases a canvas mockup is actually constructed and sent to check the fit. The jacket that I ended up with far exceeded my expectations. In my experience, the workmanship certainly matched that of Aero. Johnsons website certainly do not do their products justice. I understand that they are going to be redesigning it, which couldn't happen soon enough. Potential downside: I'm not sure what Johnson will have on hand for FQHH.

I shared more of details of my experience with Johnson in these threads:

Initial thread

Follow-up thread

There are lots of options out there. It's always nice to have choices. I'll also note that my dealings with Aero were very pleasant as well. I worked exclusively with Amanda who was very helpful.

wallis

Familiar Face
I'll add in another mention for Johnson Leathers.

I purchased a custom jacket from them last year. Alan and crew proved to be fantastic to work with — extremely accomodating. The transaction started with a few lengthy phone calls and emails. Leather swatches and a design drawing verifying my design changes were sent for me to look over. Also, a stock jacket was sent to me for a test fit. I understand that in some cases a canvas mockup is actually constructed and sent to check the fit. The jacket that I ended up with far exceeded my expectations. In my experience, the workmanship certainly matched that of Aero. Johnsons website certainly do not do their products justice. I understand that they are going to be redesigning it, which couldn't happen soon enough. Potential downside: I'm not sure what Johnson will have on hand for FQHH.

I shared more of details of my experience with Johnson in these threads:

Initial thread

Follow-up thread

There are lots of options out there. It's always nice to have choices. I'll also note that my dealings with Aero were very pleasant as well. I worked exclusively with Amanda who was very helpful.

Thanks! Awesome info. I've now taken a second look at Johnson. How would you compare the quality of this jacket to an Aero piece? I'm assuming, based on your post, that you also own a jacket made by Aero.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I ordered a jacket from Aero, but ended up returning it as it wasn't quite what I was looking for. The quality of the jacket was top notch. I'd rate the jacket that I purchased from Johnson just as highly with regards to quality of materials and workmanship. Frankly, I've been caught off guard by the number of compliments that I've received from random folks regarding the jacket. I don't think there has been a single day that I've worn it when at least one person hasn't commented on it. The quality is simply that obvious. I know others have shared similar experiences with their Aero jackets as well as some of the other brands mentioned in this thread. In my mind, Johnson is a fairly well kept secret that deserves mention amongst such brands.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As Butte alluded to elsewhere, the danger with your first Aero is that you over-modify it. As Lungomare says, it would be best to find the standard dimensions of any jacket, then check height and chest size of any wearers to suss out the best dimensions for you.

I've already fallen into that trap and lost £310 by trading in an almost new jacket I just wasn't 100% happy with. I asked all the right questions before ordering the new one.

The difficulty in attempting to get exactly what one thinks will be the perfect fit and look is challenging when going back and forth with e-mails with the Atlantic Ocean and a lot of real estate in between. In my case, I bought a brown steerhide Highwayman on Aero's "Sale" jackets after communicating with Amanda on several occasions regarding likely fit. As it turns out, Amanda was pretty much dead on with her assessment of how the jacket would fit, both of us thinking that the 26" sleeve length would be about 1" less than optimal but "probably OK" which turned out to be exactly correct. When I placed an order for a second Highwayman (black mid-weight HH) the measurements were the same as for my "Sale" Highwayman, with the exception of 27" sleeves. So, my next jacket should be perfect rather than almost perfect. Conclusion: fine-tuning is always beneficial and don't try to over-modify your first jacket, as Butte pointed out in an earlier post.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had a Johnson jacket for over 15 years. Wore it last night. It's great. Cow. Very heavy.
They have heavier, which they use for Highway Patrol jackets. It looks very nice.
I have had an Aero jacket for a few months now. Horsehide. Kinda stiff, dense but not as thick and heavy.

Johnson Leathers can get the same leather Aero gets, the Horween horse. They have a stash of vintage NOS zippers.
They know vintage styles. They know motorcycle styles. They can put armor in your jacket. They are a pleasure to
work with.

Nothing against Aero. But Johnson is at least as good, in a somewhat different niche. I encourage you to call Alan.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Why did you decide against Langlitz? I own ~10 moto jackets and unless you are a very serious sport rider that needs some extra protection, their Cascade is awesome to say the least. I just had one made and it fits me 100% perfectly, much better than my Aero cafe...which is also nice, but more of an cool everyday...but less custom jacket. The Langlitz leather is really top notch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner