Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worthwhile Alternative to Aero Leathers???

pauleway

Practically Family
I think that's a 50s Halfbelt in the photo... The standard Highwayman is definitely pretty boxy, moreso than an A2 (even allowing for the difference made by the A2 knits). I love mine, but it is a different beast than the 3os Halfbelt (got one of those too). Sounds like the 50s Halfbelt or the Pioneer would be good for you. Maybe also the Bootlegger if you fancy a different front style. The Bootlegger, if memory serves, is the same body as the 50s Halfbelt, but with a different front.
That looks like a 30's HB to me!

Edward

Bartender
Type in 'Aero' in the Search box top right above this thread. There are many different threads on Aeros...and pics of members wearing them scattered about. Will give you a much better idea of different style fits than just Aero's website.
HD

Yes, it's unfortunate that Aero don't have better pictures of all their jackets being worn - John @ Goodwear does this best - but I suppose it's hard to do that when they do so much of their product to custom order (and to be fair it's not like they need it to bring in the orders).

I received my Aero Custom 50's Half-Belt made of the green/black Waterfront Wool in 8 weeks!

Oh! Look forward to seeing photos of that. I have seen a couple of wool / leather hybrid halfbelts in the wild, I wondered if Aero were considering bringing that officially into the line. I have one of the wool waterfront jackets, and I adore it. If they did them in another colour, I might even consider a second.

That looks like a 30's HB to me!

Could be, I couldn't tell from the photo and with my tired old eyes if it was button cuffs or not (of course, that's an easy change - my Bootlegger has button cuffs as per my request).

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
If you want horse hide or kudu or steer that develops great patinas and breaks in to eventually look fantastically vintage, choose Aero.

If you want a jacket that will look new for a long long time, choose Lost Worlds.

There are advantages to both.

Most folks on this site, like vintage looking jackets with rich patinas and worked in leather. I must say that I love some Aeros when new, in terms of the leather's color, especially in cordovan, which tends to become lighter in color and more purple over time as it and breaks in. The rich dark brown luster of a new cordovan Aero is a sight to behold. Also, the deep, oily sheen of a black biker's cafe style jacket can really look good, and Lost Worlds is best for that.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Ah. I use the "default style" which has also a white background. Much easier on the eyes. ;)

JLStorm

Practically Family
I think a lot of the decision (besides money) comes down to style.

I have either ordered or spoken with Aero, Schott, Eastman, LW, Cirrus, and Johnson Leathers regarding custom jackets. First thing I would recommend is staying far away from Schott. They make ok jackets, but depending on your size they are very overpriced and as soon as you even mention custom that price sky rockets. I have nothing against Schotts, I own a few of them, but there are so many used available models around at amazing prices, I would never buy new from then again and definitely never go custom.

I have 2 highly customized Aero's that I worked with Will and Amanda for hours designing. I have found Aero's customer service and quality to be top notch. On the other hand, they are vintage style manufacturers all the way and if you want something more modern or specialized that is not their norm, they have some difficulty thinking otuside the box. Their hides are amazing and their mouton and shearling is the best I've seen in person. Regardless, as others have said, I don't plan on ordering from them again due to the increase in pricing and charges, including customs fees unless I want a model in the future that is in their catalog and their exchange rate improves drastically.

I've found LW entirely too difficult to work with to even think about pursuing a jacket from them.

I've found Cirrus very willing to accommodate custom requests and sympathetic to the exchange rate when its been at its worst. I've not ordered from them, but I have not ruled them out either.

I am in the process of working with Alan at Johnson Leathers on a custom project and he has gone above and beyond thus far. One thing that separates Johnson from others is that they are truly in business to do custom work, which means the ability to have them take the time to source leather with certain characteristics, whereas others including Aero just will not do. They may inform you when something that matches what you want comes in, but I have not known them to do single jacket hide sourcing. Above all else, the price is great. Johnson pricing now is what Aero's was 4 or so years ago. I can't speak for their order process or quality yet, as I dont have a finished product, but I have high hopes.

Hope some of that helps.

Tat2Man

New in Town
IMHO!!; I think you should give Langlitz another look. I love my custom fitted jacket and the customer service can't be beat. They will do whatever they need to, to make you happy with the fit of your jacket. They are truelly custom made so I'm sure they would do horsehide for you if you like. I have a medium weight cowhide and it is thicker then any other jacket I've ever owned! (I've owned a lot!) These jackets are made for serious scooter people!

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I've also heard good press about Johnson Leather in SF too but have no first hand information. I do own a couple of G&B jackets and really like their jackets and customer service, although many of their jackets are labeled about one size large and seem to have a full fit in the torso area.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I own jackets by Aero and Johnson and G&B (amongst others) I would put my G&B goatskin jackets in a similar category as the others. Beautifully made, high quality, will last forever.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy