Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would this hat have been of interest?

Viviene

Vendor
Since I have already advised you I know little about mens hats I thought I would ask you about this hat.

I have a hat that I purchased for sentiment alone. It is made by the Lee Company of Danbury, Connecticut. I did find out that Danbury, Connecticut was considered the hat making capital of the world in the 19th century according to an article I found on the internet. I also found that the Lee Hat Company was purchased by Stetson. The gentleman's daughter told me that he purchased the hat back in the 1940s. I am hesitant to claim that. The sweatband is cracked and split in several places. The band around the hat is narrow (5/16 wide). The rim is 2 1/2 inches wide and the height of the hat with no crease in it is 4 1/2 inches. The ribbon around the edge of the hat is intact. I see 4 mothbites on the hat. The satin that lines the hat looks clean. The markings on the hat show it to be a size 6 3/4. In the center of the inside of the hat it says "Lee Fifth Avenue Water Bloc." On the sweatband the same "Lee Fifth Avenue Water Bloc" is there and in addition it says "Du Pont water repellent shape retaining." on the interior of the hat under the sweatband it says "3510 Corral." The color of the hat is a light brown. It appears by feel to be felt, not wool. I would appreciate any assistance you would be willing to provide. Here's a quick picture of the hat in question.

leehat.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
that's a pretty nice looking hat.

I was looking at your website. I have a champ featherweight like the one you're selling. Fabulous hat, that. one of my personal favorites.

Viviene

Vendor
I hope I'm getting things correct. I don't mind doing research. I like to learn new things which is why it's fun to sell vintage. They all have their own story to tell. Sometimes you get notes attached to clothing saying what it has been worn for and that's always eye opening. Thanks for the help and glad you took a look at the site.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Howdy,stranger...what size is that lid yer' showin'? look in the very back-just underneath the sweatband should be a paper label-or, measure the circumference of the inside of the leather sweatband with a cloth tape measure (really hard with a yardstick) the number of inches will translate into the size of the hat- something any of us interested in the hat will want to know...
Please get back to us, and take a few more photos if you can, especially of the inside. adieu, M

Viviene

Vendor
I took a couple more pictures of the hat so you can see it. On the last picture it looks like there is discoloration of the top of the hat but there is not. Just my bad photography. :)

im002929.jpg

leehatlabel3.jpg

leelabel.jpg

leelabel2.jpg

leetophat.jpg

Viviene

Vendor
Thank you for the information. I'm taking notes and hopefully this will all stick in my brain along with all the other information I try to remember when hunting for items. You've all been very gracious. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn