Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WPG Irvin opinion

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hello gents,

After recently posting about how to age my ALC Irvin, I've had a bit of a think about what I want to do and have decided to sell the ALC and purchase a different make of jacket. Dipping the ALC seemed too much of a risk for a $900 jacket and aside from that its probably still too toasty for the Victorian winter.

I have spent the last few days reading through the fantastic Irvin sticky on this site and have come up with the WPG as a contender. The reasons for this is that it seems to be a lighter/roomier(?) jacket but still of good quality sheepskin and more in my price range as I can't justify $1000+ for a ELC or Aces High jacket.

The only negative side of the jacket appeared to be the quality of the zips and hardwear on the jacket and I'm wondering if any of you guys have purchased one more recently can advise me if there are still those issues?

Also, I'm 6'3, 42 inch chest and considering buying the size 42 jacket (I dont intend to wear jumpers etc under it). Do you think this will be a decent fit and do any of you larger fellas who own this jacket post some pictures so I can get an idea how it looks?

Regards

Flashy

Ps the ALC is listed in the classifieds of your interested?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Gday Flashy,
im keen to know this aswell. I checked them out(wpg) and yhe price is unreal. I sent them an enquiry on the b3, they wont offer them until end of this year. For that price, I would have a b3, as it wouldnt need to be worn everyday to justify the price. The only prob for me with the irvin, is no pockets. If its cold enough to wear that jacket, Im going to wantpockets!
I. Love the dearer stuff, but we only have a 3 month winter here, and I oftn nick off up north for a month or so during winter....but for 300usd, i could buy a b3 and be happy.....

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Flashy,

Firstly I've never owned one but from what I know from being a member here over the years is that the pattern isn't bad at all (IIRC the first ones had a slightly dubious collar shape but this I think changed back around 2008), the zips were a touch cheap and the seam tapes could be either leather or heaven forbid plastic. I think they are made in Pakistan or India for Jerry.

Certainly not at all bad for the price. The only problem seems that most people who get them, wear them for a bit and then decide that they do want to upgrade to a better repro.

Best bet is to hear from Soren, he had one of them for a few months back in 2007/2008.

Cheers,

Tim

Otter

One Too Many
I stand to be corrected but I seem to remember a review which was of the oppinion that the belt and seam bindings were of a synthetic material. Having said that, for the money they thought it was a good jacket. I paid GBP 380 for my secondhand Aero, it had literaly been worn twice and I can live with the arms as it was still better than my old ALC which was getting tight across the shoulders.

Plumbline

One Too Many
In my early one ( 2007 ) the bindings were leather ... probably steer ( tou could tell by picking up the edge).

It wasn't a bad jacket at all ... and compared very favourably from a pattern perspective with originals ( much more like the Eastman Fit ). The zips were chrome modern affairs and I had Dodds Leathers in Northampton ( now closed) replace them with some repro lightnings.

All in all it cost me £348 including shipping for the jacket, zips and fitting ... which wasn't bad for what turned out to be a really decent Irvin.

I sold it on ebay for £300 or thereabouts ( no pockets :( )

fishmeok

Vendor
On the more recent jackets the tape is some sort of synthetic. I find that adding a clear coat to the jacket gives it more depth. Other than the hardware the fleece and pattern is good, and it's super warm. I have a 44 I can sell if you are interested (pm me).

Cheers
Mark

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have Soren's old wpg Irvin. No the zipper is not ideal but I really like the jacket. Unfortunately my family does not. Also it does not go w my hats and frankly we don't have enough winter here in California to justify it. Thinking of selling it sadly. Very roomy and comfy.

Charlie

Familiar Face
I've got one in size 40 that I've buy in 2009, very pleased with the general quality (for the price) it match very much the original, Mine aged very nicely !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot