Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: Any Vintage Black Fedora w/ Big Proportions

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
I'm looking for any black fedora with a big crown, in a big size, with a wide brim, or some combination thereof (to be converted down to a 6" untapered OC, 2¼" brim, 7 ¼, as I've given up finding one that perfectly matches my specs).

The more vintage the better, beaver if possible.

Depending on the condition/quality, I can trade, buy, or a combination.

Thanks!

Jerekson

One Too Many
I have an Akubra Squatter that I would let go for pretty cheap. It is a 7 1/8 with a 3 in. brim, crown ain't that high but if you were gonna convert the wide brim down to 2 1/4 that would give you a lot more to work with.
Good old Akubra felt - rabbit fur, I think it's nice.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the offer! I'm thinking that, after the size up, it wouldn't leave quite enough room to achieve a complete untapering and a significant heightening. I appreciate it, though

Thanks for the offer! I'm thinking that, after the size up, it wouldn't leave quite enough room to achieve a complete untapering and a significant heightening. I appreciate it, though
I have a vintage but unbranded fedora that I restored. It is a 7 3/8, tall fairly straight sided crown, about a 2 1/2" brim but I would have to check. The felt is a lighter weight, soft like a vintage Borsa. It would give you the felt to work with to create your hat. If you are after a soft vintage feel this might be of interest to you. It is a nice hat I just don't wear black. Let me know if interested and I will dig it out and snap pics. The leather sweat is new so you can cut it down to your size and use it. I think it is unlined but if you want I can send you a liner to sew in.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
I have a vintage but unbranded fedora that I restored. It is a 7 3/8, tall fairly straight sided crown, about a 2 1/2" brim but I would have to check. The felt is a lighter weight, soft like a vintage Borsa. It would give you the felt to work with to create your hat. If you are after a soft vintage feel this might be of interest to you. It is a nice hat I just don't wear black. Let me know if interested and I will dig it out and snap pics. The leather sweat is new so you can cut it down to your size and use it. I think it is unlined but if you want I can send you a liner to sew in.

Hi Belfast!

Yes, I'm definitely interested in seeing the photos, if you get the chance! Sounds like it could potentially work.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
I will dig it out and snap some pics tomorrow in daylight. The hat will likely work if you are OK with a lighter weight soft felt.

Sounds good; I look forward to it. I hear the thinner dress felts are more apt to take a film noirish bash (I won't pretend that the noir hats aren't my primary inspiration) than thicker felts, so I'm definitely down to consider switching to something lighter! I am eagerly anticipating seeing these photos tomorrow; thanks in advance!!

just a hair under 6" on the open crown, 2 1/2" brim. It is a tight 7 3/8" so might even work for you as a close 7 1/4". The crown has a bit of a taper to it but lots of brim width to block on a non tapered block and still get the width you desire. Felt is in perfect shape as is the ribbon. Leather sweat is good quality and brand new. $75 plus $20 for postage. Don't know the manufacturer but it seems European, soft, light hand of a vintage Borsa or other Italian maker. Yes, easy to bash. No liner
CIMG0309.JPG
CIMG0308.JPG
CIMG0307.JPG

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
just a hair under 6" on the open crown, 2 1/2" brim. It is a tight 7 3/8" so might even work for you as a close 7 1/4". The crown has a bit of a taper to it but lots of brim width to block on a non tapered block and still get the width you desire. Felt is in perfect shape as is the ribbon. Leather sweat is good quality and brand new. $75 plus $20 for postage. Don't know the manufacturer but it seems European, soft, light hand of a vintage Borsa or other Italian maker. Yes, easy to bash. No liner View attachment 389077 View attachment 389078 View attachment 389079

That's a nice looking hat, Belfast! Do you think it could lose the bit of taper on a 7 1/4 block without losing any height? I like that brim the width it is.

I've discovered that the hat I've been wearing (a relatively cheap Bailey) has been a very poor metric for what brim width I want, as it is bad at holding a flange (or the pinch I steamed in). Having tried on (or tried to) a too-tight Borsalino, I see that a 2½" brim is actually really nice when it has a deep flange, and it was only cos my Bailey is too flat-brimmed that I felt it was too wide. It also makes me want to give a 2½" another go, as Art Fawcett himself said the 2½" is the right brim for me based on photos I sent him (only after my brim got botched and salvaged to 2⅛").

That hat looks great, but I will have to think and weigh some options. Sorry for the inconvenience; I do appreciate it (and all your help) greatly. Maybe it could end up working, depending on the amount of crown height I'd lose un-tapering it. If you find someone else interested though, by all means, I don't want to keep you from selling it.

That's a nice looking hat, Belfast! Do you think it could lose the bit of taper on a 7 1/4 block without losing any height? I like that brim the width it is.

I've discovered that the hat I've been wearing (a relatively cheap Bailey) has been a very poor metric for what brim width I want, as it is bad at holding a flange (or the pinch I steamed in). Having tried on (or tried to) a too-tight Borsalino, I see that a 2½" brim is actually really nice when it has a deep flange, and it was only cos my Bailey is too flat-brimmed that I felt it was too wide. It also makes me want to give a 2½" another go, as Art Fawcett himself said the 2½" is the right brim for me based on photos I sent him (only after my brim got botched and salvaged to 2⅛").

That hat looks great, but I will have to think and weigh some options. Sorry for the inconvenience; I do appreciate it (and all your help) greatly. Maybe it could end up working, depending on the amount of crown height I'd lose un-tapering it. If you find someone else interested though, by all means, I don't want to keep you from selling it.
With a light felt like this you might get enough stretch from the felt so it does not take away any brim width at all. The taper is pretty mild. What does your block look like? How square are the shoulders? Send me a pic of your block and I can tell you if you will lose any width on the brim.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
With a light felt like this you might get enough stretch from the felt so it does not take away any brim width at all. The taper is pretty mild. What does your block look like? How square are the shoulders? Send me a pic of your block and I can tell you if you will lose any width on the brim.

I wish I had the block myself; I'll have to send it to someone. I think I want a #51 or #52. Can't recall offhand, but whichever is the absolute minimum amount of taper a fedora could have.

I wish I had the block myself; I'll have to send it to someone. I think I want a #51 or #52. Can't recall offhand, but whichever is the absolute minimum amount of taper a fedora could have.
Look I can block this for you if you are serious about it. Give me your head size and I can block it, cut the sweat to fit. If I can't get the non taper and 2 1/2" brim you don't have to take it. If interested for sure let me know and I will give you a great price. The #52 block (which I have) actually has a bit of taper to it as does the #51, I have other blocks in your size that have zero taper.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
Look I can block this for you if you are serious about it. Give me your head size and I can block it, cut the sweat to fit. If I can't get the non taper and 2 1/2" brim you don't have to take it. If interested for sure let me know and I will give you a great price. The #52 block (which I have) actually has a bit of taper to it as does the #51, I have other blocks in your size that have zero taper.

Hmm, sounds promising! I'll PM you with details and a couple questions, and then we can move ahead if it all checks out. I have to take care of something but will message you before I go to sleep (I'm on a strange schedule).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ