Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB Vintage 20" zipper

hieu

A-List Customer
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a vintage zipper from the 1960s and before (it's for a 40s/50s jacket). Serval, conmar, talon, crown/c&c are all fine.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nacho

Practically Family

jauregui

Familiar Face
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1439671362/24-inch-c-c-1960s-heavy-weight-metal
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1453885701/24-never-used-1950s-60s-heavy-weight

There you go, Huey. 24" but you can always chop the top off to 20" and reuse the top-stops (if you can save them) or put a new set on.
Are you looking for #5 zippers? The darker one is mid seventies. The lighter one is nice late 60. I sold most of my zipper to photo2u. Otherwise I would help you out. Depending on the jacket, if you are replacing, I would go #10. I know, photo has many including the lower price ones from the 60's.

Good luck with your project. By the way, I hope you are doing the repair. Is not very hard. If you need help during your repair, let me know.

Best,
DJ

Nacho

Practically Family
Are you looking for #5 zippers? The darker one is mid seventies. The lighter one is nice late 60. I sold most of my zipper to photo2u. Otherwise I would help you out. Depending on the jacket, if you are replacing, I would go #10. I know, photo has many including the lower price ones from the 60's.

Good luck with your project. By the way, I hope you are doing the repair. Is not very hard. If you need help during your repair, let me know.

Best,
DJ

Dann,

Been a while since we last talked. I hope you're doing great.

This isn't my project. I was helping my friend, Huey or @cashcheck, to source a zipper for his jacket. And you're right. Replacing a zipper isn't that hard. I've never done one on a jacket, but I've done so on many leather boots. The process is pretty much the same. Just have to make sure the tape is aligned correctly and the rest is just stitching to the same holes.

@cashcheck If you need any help with the zipper, Dann is your man as well as photo2u or George.

hieu

A-List Customer
Thanks for the advice guys! The repair is 40s/50s California Montgomery Ward X Zip so I'm looking a smaller brass zipper. I considered the talon #10 but I think it would be too large and out of place for this particular repair. I think I'll find a larger zipper and cut it to match the length.

jauregui

Familiar Face
"Dann,

Been a while since we last talked. I hope you're doing great.

This isn't my project. I was helping my friend, Huey or @cashcheck, to source a zipper for his jacket. And you're right. Replacing a zipper isn't that hard. I've never done one on a jacket, but I've done so on many leather boots. The process is pretty much the same. Just have to make sure the tape is aligned correctly and the rest is just stitching to the same holes.

@cashcheck If you need any help with the zipper, Dann is your man as well as photo2u or George"

I am house seating. The dogs and I are having a wonderful time by the pool and the spa. LOL.
Please take good care. I hope cashcheck get the zipper he needs at a good price.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I get it about wanting a #5 zipper, but there is something very satisfying about a chunky #10 zipper on a cross-zip leather jacket. I put one on my 1950s Spiegel, and am very happy. Yes, a #5 is period-correct, but I say period-correct period-schmorrect. There is a reason why these puny #5s do not hold up over decades of use on vintage jackets. They do better on flys in mens pants, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner