Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTT RMC J-24 size 42 for size 40

soundwavvves

Familiar Face
Hey guys,

So I thought I’d put out some feelers and gauge interest on a possible size swap for this particular model jacket, the BJ9111 J-24.

I absolutely love this jacket and wear it frequently, but a part of me always wishes it were an inch shorter in length with shoulders that were about an inch narrower.

I’ve had a hell of a journey finding the perfect RMC J-24 for me. To date, I have owned the new model in 36, 38, and 40, and the previous model in 38 and now this 42. This would be the final variation left before I just hang it up and move away from OTR J-24s all together.

That being said, if you have a size 40 that maybe fit fantastic pre-pandemic but that you now wish were a tad bigger, let’s talk.

This particular jacket is perfectly broken in and looks amazing. I will continue to wear it, even if I do wish it were a tad smaller.

Approximate measurements are as follows

Pit to pit: 21”
Hem: 19”
Shoulders from back: 17.75”
Front length: 24.75”
Back length: 23”
Sleeves (straight down shoulder to cuff, not following arm curve ): ~25”

Thanks

Attachments

• 106CEA94-E07C-40A0-A483-F76D01F1AEA2.jpeg
    106CEA94-E07C-40A0-A483-F76D01F1AEA2.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 224

Mcu

New in Town
I have an old model 38. Shoulder from back is 16.5 inches, although quite narrow pit to pit (19 inches). Dont know if it would work with you.

soundwavvves

Familiar Face
I have an old model 38. Shoulder from back is 16.5 inches, although quite narrow pit to pit (19 inches). Dont know if it would work with you.
Thanks for the reply. The shoulders and length are great on the 38 but the 19” chest is just too narrow for me these days. Ideally I need about 20.25-20.5”.

soundwavvves

Familiar Face
Supposedly to accommodate more body types, they made the body quite a bit roomier, lowered/widened the arm holes, and fully reworked the sleeves. Where the arms in the old model are slim and feel a bit unnaturally pitched forward when at rest and zipped, the new ones have a slight twist/curve to them that follow the curvature of the arms and so rest in a more natural position at the side. But they appear roomier as a result and don’t have that straight and narrow look, even though they taper quite a bit toward the cuffs. They also adjusted the front-back balance to more closely follow, say, your denim waistline with a more pronounced rise in back and dip in the front. With the widened arm holes and modified front-back pitch, the new jacket doesn’t splay open as much unzipped and, for me at least, makes for a more squared/blockier fit through the torso. So, while the lengths were great and the fit was technically more natural and comfortable, the new version didn’t quite have that trim, straight and narrow look that I ultimately wanted. More classic biker guy than rocker, so to speak.

Here are some photos that may better illustrate those points.

First pic is new fit in size 38
Second pic is old fit in size 42

Attachments

• 08A47C5C-2EB7-4836-8276-44F21710B033.jpeg
    08A47C5C-2EB7-4836-8276-44F21710B033.jpeg
    829.4 KB · Views: 191
  • FEAD6A42-0071-4295-852F-B1932410E3B2.jpeg
    FEAD6A42-0071-4295-852F-B1932410E3B2.jpeg
    697.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Leigh H

Practically Family
Supposedly to accommodate more body types, they made the body quite a bit roomier, lowered/widened the arm holes, and fully reworked the sleeves. Where the arms in the old model are slim and feel a bit unnaturally pitched forward when at rest and zipped, the new ones have a slight twist/curve to them that follow the curvature of the arms and so rest in a more natural position at the side. But they appear roomier as a result and don’t have that straight and narrow look, even though they taper quite a bit toward the cuffs. They also adjusted the front-back balance to more closely follow, say, your denim waistline with a more pronounced rise in back and dip in the front. With the widened arm holes and modified front-back pitch, the new jacket doesn’t splay open as much unzipped and, for me at least, makes for a more squared/blockier fit through the torso. So, while the lengths were great and the fit was technically more natural and comfortable, the new version didn’t quite have that trim, straight and narrow look that I ultimately wanted. More classic biker guy than rocker, so to speak.

Here are some photos that may better illustrate those points.

First pic is new fit in size 38
Second pic is old fit in size 42

the old fit is so much better on you!!

I can't believe how big that 38 looks on you, looks almost bigger than the old 42.

Last edited:

soundwavvves

Familiar Face
the old fit is so much better on you!!

I can't believe how big that 38 looks on you, looks almost bigger than the old 42.
Yeah it’s crazy how different the two patterns fit! A 42 in the new version would be comically oversized, like a kid wearing his dad’s jacket.

The interesting part is that the 38 had 2” of ease in the chest, and all of the measurements on paper were just spot on. I fully expected it to fit tailor-made.

By contrast, the 42 has about 3.5” ease.

What is your height and weight?

I’m 5’11 at 178lbs and I love the new fit Buco J-24.

That jacket looks to fit you perfectly. Out of curiosity, did you ever try the old version?

I am 5’ 9” and 160 lbs with a slim build and thin arms (think drummer, skateboarder build) so I think that while the new fit will accommodate more body types, at the end of the day as a skinny guy I am probably just better served by a slimmer cut.

Kenan

A-List Customer
Yeah it’s crazy how different the two patterns fit! A 42 in the new version would be comically oversized, like a kid wearing his dad’s jacket.

The interesting part is that the 38 had 2” of ease in the chest, and all of the measurements on paper were just spot on. I fully expected it to fit tailor-made.

That jacket looks to fit you perfectly. Out of curiosity, did you ever try the old version?

I am 5’ 9” and 160 lbs with a slim build and thin arms (think drummer, skateboarder build) so I think that while the new fit will accommodate more body types, at the end of the day as a skinny guy I am probably just better served by a slimmer cut.
I was considering if I could fit a size 38, but opted for size 40 since I wanted to actually be wearing something underneath the jacket other than a t-shirt. A jacket with a fur collar that I could only wear with a tee didn’t make much sense in my head.

I think 38 did look a little big on you, but I remember how mine looked in the beginning now it has started to mold to the body, so it looks very different now. I guess 38 would have fit you better after it had been broken in.

I never tried the “tight fit”. I remember originally wanting that jacket, but I found it really hard to determine my size, so when they new fit dropped I pulled the trigger.

Leigh H

Practically Family

Mine is the old fit size 42, I bought it new back in 2015. I’m 6ft 185lbs.

lonesome_hunter

New in Town
Hey guys,

So I thought I’d put out some feelers and gauge interest on a possible size swap for this particular model jacket, the BJ9111 J-24.

I absolutely love this jacket and wear it frequently, but a part of me always wishes it were an inch shorter in length with shoulders that were about an inch narrower.

I’ve had a hell of a journey finding the perfect RMC J-24 for me. To date, I have owned the new model in 36, 38, and 40, and the previous model in 38 and now this 42. This would be the final variation left before I just hang it up and move away from OTR J-24s all together.

That being said, if you have a size 40 that maybe fit fantastic pre-pandemic but that you now wish were a tad bigger, let’s talk.

This particular jacket is perfectly broken in and looks amazing. I will continue to wear it, even if I do wish it were a tad smaller.

Approximate measurements are as follows

Pit to pit: 21”
Hem: 19”
Shoulders from back: 17.75”
Front length: 24.75”
Back length: 23”
Sleeves (straight down shoulder to cuff, not following arm curve ): ~25”

Thanks
As well as you, i absolutely love the J-24.
I'm currently on a quest to find the BJ9111 fit, size 36 (yeah, i'm just 172cm and 58kg).
Wish me luck.

Hope you find the size 40 of the old fit :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana