Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII anti-Japan Superman cartoon

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Alas, it's true that for every brilliant "Coal Black" or "Tin Pan Alley Cats" (another amazing Clampett-directed cartoon of the same period) there are many more weaker films, some of which are indeed maliciously racist. And there were plenty of members of the audience in those years (and alas, even relatively recently) that thought they were a total hoot... and accurate.

As much as those of us here may revere the past, there were a lot of deep-rooted inequities and prejudices that are hard to reconcile with American ideology, and they turn up all over the culture. But they should not be swept under the rug, but instead be shown and understood for what they were. If you don't know the full truth about your past, you're on shaky ground.

Banning films, etc., that are rife this stuff is no solution: creating a Disneyland Main Street image of an impossibly simpler and kinder America does the folks who lived through those years, warts and all, a great disservice. And unique films like "Coal Black" deserve to be shown and known...

Which is why, in my own small way, whenever I have taught cartoon appreciation, run film festivals, or just brought some films to a friend's party, I have made a point of showing it. And ironically, the gutless cowardice of venues like Cartoon Network, who won't show it even in the middle of the night with a Leonard Maltin or Jerry Beck explaining it, have made it one of the rare jewels of my film collection!

Merlin

Familiar Face
Dr. Seuss

For those interested in WWII propaganda cartoons, I recommend picking up a copy of "Dr. Seuss Goes to War." It's a book of Dr. Seuss' WWII political cartoons, and for those of you out there who only know him as the benevolent wordsmith behind "Green Eggs and Ham" and "The Cat in the Hat", it will likely prove quite surprising. His depiction of the Japanese, Germans, and anyone who was a member of the isolationist movement is far from charitable and even shockingly racist at times. (for example, the Japanese are always portrayed as squinty-eyed, buck-toothed midgets!) Still, it's quite funny in spots and is, if nothing else, a fascinating slice of history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy