Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Army Officers Dress Shoes

Baggers

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:

Well, actually I quoted my price with postage and tax included. :p But yeah, kinda makes your jaw drop when you compare then with now.

HOWEVER, to try and put it all in perspective, what was the monthly pay for a newly minted 2nd Lieutenant in 1940 compared to today? Or for that matter, a loaf of bread?

To paraphrase: "If I lived then, with what I earn now!"

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Great!

I'll be interested to read your observations on them. I've still got to find a pair of flat laces for mine, but it will be later this week at the earliest before I'll be near the only shoe shop I know of that might have them. In the meantime I'll check the local grocery stores I frequent, but I've never had much luck with their selections before.

Cheers!

Weston

A-List Customer
Glad you posted this...I was holding off. Ordered 8.5D...what size were you Scotrace? Anyone else finding they are running out?

Weston

A-List Customer
Nuts! III

Out of mine too! If they can't update the website, they can at least respond without 2 days going by! Grrrr...

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Let's see what happens...

Well, I saw this post kind of late, but the web site said they still had a 10E. I had to risk it for that price! I just ordered them, so I'll see if I get that e-mail in two days saying "no dice!"

Thanks for the tip, Baggers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave, any word yet on your shoes?

BTW, very cool avatar. A few years back, while I was working on Walker Texas Ranger, I got to watch Rod Taylor from behind the camera while he played Alex Cahill's alcoholic father. A true professional and very accomplished actor. Never said a word to him, but I felt honored just to be on the same set.

Cheers!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
bearcats_front.jpg

I wish that show would be re-run. I loved it when I was a kid.

B
T

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Yes! Got my shoes yesterday...just as I was walking out the door to help a friend move. Three days from order to my door. Finally got home about 7 last night, and tried them on.

Absolutely perfect! I haven't worn them off the carpet yet, just to make sure, but I've been trying to spend some time in them. I had tried Bates current Navy issue low quarters, but the sole was the rubber sole all the way around, just like the patent leather versions. These leather soles are great, though! I definately owe you a cold one for this tip!

And thanks for the compliment on the avatar!

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Yep, their out

I looked too...their out.

How about some boondockers, USN/USMC. Did they wear these with the flight suits '41-'43? WWII Impressions shows to have some of these but their $150.00.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WW2 style military shoe wear (what do you like to step out in?)

Just got a pair of officer's low quarters (US Army) and am loving them, as they are versatile enough to wear with a taupe summer suit to work as they are with with your greens and pinks!

But still have a hankering over a pair of the USMC Boondockers (made famous later on by Steve McQueen as Virgil Hilts in the Great Escape).

Essentially, I am a boot person! I like the support a boot gives my ankles and so a dress boot rocks for me.

Then there are the officer's Monk Shoes (the one with the strap and buckle across and no laces). But doesn't really do it for me, although I know many who love them! As they have that certain dressy appearance.

But you'll never believe what goes dog walking and gardening with me these days. A pair of 1936 RAF flying boots (you know, the black ones with the off white wool lining and the strap across the upper top. Eccentric gardening wear? why of course!!

Mike K.

One Too Many
WWII Army Officers Dress Shoe Alternatives

Hey everybody,
I was browsing through eBay recently and came upon these dress shoes from Ralph Lauren. I think they'd make a great repro officer's dress shoe. The color may not be exactly russet but the style looks very close to that of WWII officer's dress oxfords. They are currently going for well under $100 (originally $345). I was thinking a little leather dye could easily change the brown to russet. Does anyone know about calf leather from which these are made?

Polo Ralph Lauren 'Carlson' Shoes
EDIT: Photo Link Broken
Search eBay for 'polo brown oxford' and you'll get a list of 'em.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Mike K.

These are darn near perfect as is. You have to remember that during the war the officers had to fend for themselves and the private purchase items could vary over a wide range. If it were me, I would just leave them as is. The color is close enough and they will go just fine either with summer khakis or with the pinks and greens. -- ZF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran