Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII GI pants....

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:
What pattern are pants in twill fabric that are the same pattern as the first pair in Feraud's posting, but with buttons on the back pockets? No sign of suspender buttons. I found a pair in a street market in Covent Garden a few weeks ago. They are just like my Buzz Rickson 1942 pattern chinos apart from the back pockets.

Alan

The posted label indicates they are All Wool. Enlisted Mans Service trousers in OliveDrab. Further down they are listed as SPECIAL, which denotes the gas-flap. this is a `43 pattern.
I believe the previous models w/o the gasflap were `37 or `38 pattern. And often decribed as mustard color.

And yes, thats the beauty of these wartime trousrs, they fit like chinos!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I think I know the pair you are talking about. They were a good looking pant and the price was reasonable.
I let them pass because I am on the trail of something else.

I let them pass by accident. I was a day late & a dollar short on that one. Oh well, I have some repros from over in China that respectively pass muster compared to a pair that my Pop had back in 1950 that were dated from 1944. Of course his had only fit me in Jr. High and no other time, my Pop was a skinny ink back in the day. But the fabric in my repros match pretty darn close except that they are slightly lighter in weight and are not as scratchy. If I can't find any originals I may just get another pair from China. If y'all come across a 36x33 that you want to pass up, let me know.

Cheers!

Dan

fishmeok

Vendor
I picked these up last weekend- two pairs of officer's wool elastique trousers, one light O.D. and one dark, and one "pink" shirt- all in my size. Intersting the varying quality of the trousers- these two were are custom made by a local St Paul clothier and are heavier and higher quality than my other pair of officers light O.D. trousers.
I've had a look at some of the repro shirts and they are definately a lower quality material, but still decent enough.
Does anyone know a supplier who still carries the ewool elastique material? Is it still used in anything except State trooper clothing (and i know that even that is a wool/poly blend)
Cheers
Mark
DSCN2387.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
fishmeok said:
Does anyone know a supplier who still carries the ewool elastique material? Is it still used in anything except State trooper clothing (and i know that even that is a wool/poly blend)
Cheers
Mark
DSCN2387.jpg

You are not the only one looking for this material. Another members is looking to have an Ike jacket made up and is wondering about sourcing such material. In fact, if we could locate the stuff I would definitely be in for a few yards.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
You are not the only one looking for this material. Another members is looking to have an Ike jacket made up and is wondering about sourcing such material. In fact, if we could locate the stuff I would definitely be in for a few yards.

Yes, Feraud & I were just talking bout this. Over in the IkeCutDown thread, someone mentioned emailing a manufacturer of new IkeJackets as he had a source for the proper non poly elastique.
He hasnt mentioned the outcome.

Both WPG & WWIIimpressions offer suits & caps that are 100% wool elastique. So it MUST be out there.

Some Dark OD uniforms were chocolate brown, some are more accurately pinks&greens. If I find any sources for either shade, will advise.

fishmeok

Vendor
MrBern said:
Fishmeok, congrats on finding so much in your size!

Yeah, that was just pure luck- went to a small military collectors show and found them all on the same rack. The shirt is not really elastique though, it's closer to the tan summer weight wool material but in the "pink" shade. The dark pants are more towards the green end of the spectrum, but it depends on the light.

Can anyone out there review the repro wool elastique stuff from WPG? I've seen the shirts and the blouses, but haven't been able to conduct a close examination.
Cheers
Mark

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
WPG

I think DdayDoll posted that her hubby has the WPG B-13 jacket. Isnt that in officer elastique?
She noted that it pilled....yuck.
But repros vary year to year & he might be selling a better jkt now. Or Not.

Why r most items on that site terribly displayed & wrinkled?

caveat emptor

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
Hey, Italian-wiseguy- I'm interested in the movie you mentioned-
what can you tell me about it- I'd like to see it.

Thanks,
B
T

I've read only today, sorry!
The movie was Le rose del deserto (the roses of the desert), director Mario Monicelli; derived from actual war memories of the writer Mario Tobino.
Another one on the same subject (war in Africa) is El Alamein.
I myslef haven't seen the movies, which is a shame since in a work in the italian movie industry (thanks God, it's a work I love) but I'd say ther major fault would be the lack of budget.

Mario Monicelli was the director of many old italian comedies, unfortunately the kind which is difficult to understand fully without knowing italian social backgorund; nonetheless, I see them remade more than once in the USA, with more budgets and more international features.

An old movie on world war two in Africa was I due nemici, a.k.a The best of enemies, with David Niven and Alberto Sordi protraing respectively an english and an italian officer: I'd gave a look at it, it was funny.

Ciao!!

Feraud

Bartender
Bought these hoping they were a 36 as labeled.
The measurement is closer to a 34".
Notice the suspender buttons are inside the waistband at the front and outside on the rear. Perfect condition, no bites, wear, etc.
DSC04198.jpg

DSC04201.jpg

DSC04199.jpg

These pants are a bit outside the timeline we started discussing but thought it might be interesting to compare how details have or have not changed over the decades.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda