Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Tanker Jacket Questions.

Xopher

A-List Customer
Im toying with the idea of buying one of the repro wwii tanker jackets and had a question about the pockets. For the second pattern tanker jacket with the hand warmer pockets, are the pockets insulated on the back of your hand between the pocket and the outer shell? If not it seems to me the hand warmer pockets wouldn't do a very good job at warming your hands, in which case I think Id opt for buying the first pattern tanker jacket with the patch pockets like the one Brad Pitt wears in Fury. Which pattern would you folks buy? Does anybody have one, and which repro company would you go with. Ive looked at WWII Impressions for $200, At the Front for $140, and WPG for $75. What are your opinions and experiences. Thanks folks

CBI

One Too Many
Iv'e owned some repro tankers. WWII Impressions will be the best repro in terms of an exact copy of the real WW2 item. At The Front makes a nice one as well. I own one and I really like it. They were for sale on their site for something like $70-80. If you can get one for that, go for it! I think the internal pockets are a little more practical and they can warm your hands a bit. Go with either pattern, whatever one you like the look of best. There are higher end Japanese brands but no reason to spend that kind of money on a tanker.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
i'd go with ATF ...

previously i had good experiences with WPG also but my last purchase (2 US Tanker helmets) was kinda bad and my concern would be their other items are as bad as the stuff i got

take care with the sizing of ATF - as far as i remember their garment sizing is a bit on the big size

like CBI already mentioned some jap-manufacturer do pretty decent copies as well but their pricing is way beyond what you have to pay at american repop manufcturers

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you haven't checked it out yet, note that there's a long thread on tanker jackets with lots of opinions and info:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?11484-Tanker-Jackets

I have an ATF tanker I got around eight years ago. I consider it a very nice jacket for the price I paid: it's very warm and comfortable. I've never handled a vintage tanker, so I can't speak to its accuracy as a repro. I agree that their sizing is on the large side (which happens to be just the kind I need!)

Foster

One of the Regulars
I've owned at least 6 different replica tanker jackets over the past dozen years or so. WWII Impressions is my preference. Most others use seamed cuffs, and I find them less comfortable than the tubular cuff, which is historically correct.

Second pattern slash pockets are comfortable for resting hands in, but they are not insulated (it's just cotton). They do not hold much, and I know sometimes soldiers would cut out the pocket bottom to open the pocket into the body, allowing much space for items.

The first pattern patch pockets tended to snag on vehicle parts (or at least this is what is claimed) and I find they are impractical for resting hands inside.

Wedge 417

New in Town
We're in 2021 so I'm re-opening the topic.

What would be the best accurate and best quality jacket on the market now?

SMW ? wwiimpressions?

Wedge 417

New in Town
Thanks for the reply.
I’m not interested by budget jackets.
So in the High end repris what would be the ranking?

I know RM is top notch. I am considering BR but I read here and there that BR’s wool lining was thinner than originals.

Some tanker jacket fans seem to swear only by wwiiimpressions. and describe it as the only best.

I haven’t heard or read much about SMW although they have a great site and claim to be as accurate as the other top tiers, there are very little reviews of their jacket online.

can anyone share their thought?

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo