WWII Trenchcoat identification #1

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by HotCarl, Nov 30, 2021.

1. HotCarl

HotCarl New in Town

Hello,

Can anyone help me date this coat? Any history on the company? It's missing its shearling insert that fastened to it via snaps.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

Jin431 likes this.
  2. Edward

Edward Bartender

I don't know how far back they go, but these were a common, civilian style in Germany in the 1930s, and continued to be worn through the war years. They are, in retrospect, often associated with the Gestapo at this distance, but the oft-quoted notion that they are a 'uniform' is wrong. The Gestapo never had an issued uniform (although in some occupied territories they did wear SS uniforms when it was thought desirous to mark them out like that). Long leather coats were common among them mainly because they were a practical, relatively common civilian option.

My best guess would be some time 1930-1950ish. The closing, with the inner stud strap and outer belt less any buttons is very typical in all sorts of German overcoats, but particularly leather ones, from that period in my experience.

Peacoat likes this.