Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yacht Cap

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Have seen posts on WWII era "Crusher Caps", but was wondering if anyone might occasionally wear a yacht cap?

I've had one for years....Picked it up, new, at a local Army/Navy surplus store many years ago. Don't know what possessed me to buy it, just thought it looked cool at the time, and still do, though I really never wear it. Never seem to find the right occasion, I guess.

So how about the rest of you, my fellow Loungers, anyone else have one? If you do, when do you wear yours?

Every time I look at it, a certain TV Theme comes to mind, "Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip...."

Edward

Bartender
I just purchased this one from Paddy over the past week:

July23012.jpg

July23013.jpg

I'd very much like to get more in this style - a tan one for certain, a soft grey would be good (I've considered an unbadged Nazi repro to get the grey, but I've not yet seen one that has the full on crush effect - they seem to be more a peaked-cap style, more rigid and formal). I've been wearing hats similar to this in all over corduroy for years - I'm on my third black one at the minute, and also have one in brown (navy to follow in due course):

4443945c.jpg

Only photo I have to hand with that hat, I'm afraid - Taken Halloween 04 when I was three stone (42lbs) lighter than I am now (how I wish I was still that size!). Eventually I'll get soem decent shots of that coat up - it's a full leather, moleskin lined db trenchcoat. I suspect it might be horse. The owner's name tag locates it as having originated in France - and the owner was apparently a fireman. Bought on Camden market back in April 99 for £30 - back before they tried to take the area upmarket for the tourist trade, when bargains like that were still available.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
That new cap from Paddy looks sharp on you, Edward......Hey, that's a nice cravat too!!!!

Lookin' very Golden Era Hollywood!

Edward

Bartender
BJBAmerica said:
That new cap from Paddy looks sharp on you, Edward......Hey, that's a nice cravat too!!!!

Lookin' very Golden Era Hollywood!

Thank-you, sir! I've got a green blazer somewhere I really need to get dry cleaned to go with it.... actually, come to think of it i also have a US military blazer that is a dead ringer - it needs a sticth repair (and proba an insignia over it....) to hide a hold in the shoulder, but it was only a couple of quid in a market stall.... (I've got a bunch of military dress jackets, which I tend to wear out with bondage trews and whatever when I'm doing to punk rock thang... sometimes a guy has to let his (alas all too metaphorical now!) hair down too... ;) ).

If anyone knows of a supplier of these sorts of hats in a range of colours.... I'm keeping my eye out for a tan one (tres Marlon Brando in The Wild One!). If I could find them "in all the colours", I could see these replacing my corduroy versions eventually... love the vintage vibe. I'll be intersted to wear one come winter and see how they compare heat wise.

The cravat I bought a couple of years ago on eBay. I have about eight, I think now - I want to get around to picking up more. I bought my first one back in 03 to go with a linen suit for a vintage themed murder mystery party... a yellow one, which I still have. I tend to prefer the cotton type rather than the satin feel ones as they have more "body" to them, though I find an extra turn of material before I take the end over the top (I tie them like a scarf - just the same as a regular four in hand tie, but without tucking it under the knot when bring it over the front) helps with the satin ones. I took to them immediately, great for the office or anywhere that I want to make an effrot to dress less casually than an open neck shirt, but where a tie might be inappropriate. They also have a touch of the rake to them, which I of course rather like! :)

Edward

Bartender
akaBruno said:
I like your style Ed.

Totally fearless. :D

Don't you wish that it could be Halloween everday?

Bruno

Heh, thanks lol Well, I love Halloween - it's just one more excuse to dress up.... (as, let's face it, can be a Wednesday evening.... lol ). Living in London helps a lot though. I don't know that I'd quite have had the balls to get on the bus dressed like that in Belfast.... well, not with the make up at least!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy