Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yay! Happy Valentine's to Me! Two hat arrivals, Resistol and Whippet!

Ande1964

Practically Family
Got not one but two hat packages in the mail today!

The first is a Resistol Western in 7 5/8 long oval, which I bought as a possible conversion project. I actually kinda like it the way it is, but I may convert is eventually. It needs a bath.

resistol.jpg

And, even better (way better!), is my new, vintage Whippet! It's as nice as it looked on eBay. It could use a little shaping, but it's in fantastic shape. I thought I'd have some stretching to do, since it's a 7 1/2 long oval, but it fits perfectly. I think it's already one of my favorites. I think the top photo is pretty close on the color. I welcome age guesses.

whippet.jpg

Hope everyone else's Valentine's is as good as mine!

Anj

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Anj -- Congrats on some nice lids. I'm especially loving the Whippet!

Your "dating" task may be easier than you think. It looks like that lid came from the Stetson company retail store in Philadelphia. These lids had the date of purchase stamped onto the back of the sweat. Take a look and see what you find. I'm guessing right around 1948.

Cheers,
JtL

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Do we know when Whippets(or any of the great hat styles) were last made?...I haven't seen any threads on when certain styles were made...beginning to end. That would really help in the dating process...[huh] :eusa_doh: :eusa_clap :D

Ande1964

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
Your "dating" task may be easier than you think. It looks like that lid came from the Stetson company retail store in Philadelphia. These lids had the date of purchase stamped onto the back of the sweat. Take a look and see what you find. I'm guessing right around 1948.
Cheers,
JtL

Thanks for the tip! There was a stamp back there... December of 1950!

Oh, and it cost ten bucks.

Thanks,
Anj

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Ande1964 said:
There was a stamp back there... December of 1950!

Very cool. Glad you were able to find the stamp!

This info helps to narrow down another detail I've been curious about -- namely, when did Stetson start switching over to the clear (harder) plastic on the crown of the liner? It looks as if your Whippet has that translucent material. I have a photo of a 1954 Stratoliner with the clear plastic, so it would appear that the clear plastic made its appearance sometime between 1951-1954.

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24