Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YES, it's TRUE! the SCHOTT 641 STEERHiDE REViEWED! with a picture!

My first "real" riding jacket was a Hein Gerrick (First Gear) back in 1988. One of thenfirst vented jackets too. It saved my hide twice, and looked fine after with some treatment. It was a true riding jacket, and was not good for wearing around as it looked out of place. And yes, very thick. Which was good. :)

>>>

hey montana, i'm having some jack right now ('D') so don't mind being jacked.

actually, if you've ever had any hein gericke (german) leather moto jacks, also sold as 'classic gear', tHAT's what heavy leather is. i bought some gorgeous hein gericke's on german ebay, but will probably sell them as the leather feels about twice as thick as the leather on your 184sm (which i've had, love it) and the 641 steer. the leather on these is only 1.3 to 1.4 mm, the lightest leather for designer moto style jackets is 1 mm...so without the liner i'd say both can be worn indoors [answer to 'tell kathy i love her'] as long as it's not over 72 degrees. certainly comfie enough. i'd say the 184 LOOks thicker because the way it drapes, but the 641 lays flat so looks cleaner...also the 184 cinches around the wrists and waist with the A-2 style sweater fabric, whereas there is some nice airflow coming in the bottom of the 641, and you can leave the sleeves half-unzipped and let some air through there as well, so a bit better ventilated.

mrc

Familiar Face
Very nice review! While I am not a Schott fan (though I associate with a few..LOL), you really did justice to this jacket and gave members something to think about. I know that the bi-swing back is classic Schott, I've always hoped they would come out with a back design like what you see on a vintage Buco or a Vanson Comet (LOVE the custom elongated one from Insurrection in Seattle). I once ordered a jacket that had a no-action back from Schott, but the leather was just too flimsy...not at all like the leather from the one you reviewed!

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
I'm sorry, I meant Schott 654, not 541. This jacket looks a lot like the 641, but is described as a "lightweight racer."

the 654...i did consider it but it was a bit too long, and it didn't have side straps which i always need to make the jacket more V-tapered...but the real problem was the tripartite back...i started in my jacket obsession with military jackets and developed a prejudice agains anything but a 1-piece back since the mil used them for strength, and moto jacks did for road protection...i know some higher end motojacks have a split seam down the middle, but it's like a blended margarita...it aint the real thing without rox and salt

and thanks mrc for the nice words. i bought a vanson comet as it looked incredible in the vanson pics, but i had to go to a 48 for one that would fit my shoulders/chest, but then the biG waist hung like a bell, and i only have an 11" drop from my 45" chest to a 34" waist. so with vanson, unless they have side straps, you need to go custom. i just ordered a vanson corsair online as i love the vanson look, and that has side straps, though i'm aware they are imported jacks with the vanson name. probably why they are $200 less than the u.s.made vansons...but by the look and reviews on the corsairs, vanson has made sure the quality is there.

Last edited:
Yep, that's my dilemma as well. 50 Long body, 36" waist. That's why I have to go custom. Back when I rode more aggressively, I was a 44/34 and the adjustments on a stock rider's jacket usually were OK. For this reason, I often don't zip up an off-the-rack jacket. It just looks dopey. Only exceptions are A2/G1 with elasticized waists which pull in.
If you have a normal size/shape body, the world is your (less expensive) oyster!

mrc

Familiar Face
If you like the Vanson leather and construction, but want to be able to adjust the waist, then the Model B works well...I had my choice between the Model B and the custom lengthened Vanson Comet at Insurrection and chose the custom Comet because of how well it fit, but I can see the Model B being a perfect choice for someone else due to its adjustability. A friend of mine was pretty set on the Comet style, even though his waist was much smaller, proportionally, than his chest and he was able to have it altered by Carrie at Insurrection in a matter of a few weeks (rather than waiting on an order from Vanson...yikes!). It looks perfect on him!

Corky

Practically Family
ATTN johnnyjohnny:

Welcome back.

When the photo uploader does not work for me I check to see if a front slash ( like this: / ) has been added to the end of my URL during the Cut and Paste operation.

Deleting that character enables the link to work.

I have no idea why this occurs, but it seems to be happening more frequently with the current updated browsers.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
ATTN johnnyjohnny:

Welcome back.

When the photo uploader does not work for me I check to see if a front slash ( like this: / ) has been added to the end of my URL during the Cut and Paste operation.

Deleting that character enables the link to work.

I have no idea why this occurs, but it seems to be happening more frequently with the current updated browsers.

hi corkster...actually i was uploading from my computer, which the uploader is supposed to do, but after uploading, there was nothing added repeatedly...that's why i had to do links, and they don't show on my review without clicking...hope someone gets the uploader fixed

garzo

One of the Regulars
Hey Johnny,
enjoyed your review, very informative. I once owned a 141 size 44 some years ago but sold it as I found the 25" length a bit too short and overall it just felt a tad small but at the same time I found the sleeves to be a bit baggy. Nevertheless, I loved the jacket style and am considering buying a 141 size 46 or, thanks to your review, a 641 size 48. I know Schott altered the 141 cut in 2009, making it about an inch longer in the back and adding a snap map pocket on the inside (in addition to the lining pocket). I think those features were not included in the 641, however. Does your jacket have an inside snap map pocket? What's the length on your jacket, from collar to bottom edge, if you don't mind me asking? I'm really contemplating and while I really love the soft and comfortable naked cowhide (I already own a 184sm in naked cowhide as well as a 118), I think it's time I check out the steerhide.

thanks again

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
Hey Johnny,
enjoyed your review, very informative. I once owned a 141 size 44 some years ago but sold it as I found the 25" length a bit too short and overall it just felt a tad small but at the same time I found the sleeves to be a bit baggy. Nevertheless, I loved the jacket style and am considering buying a 141 size 46 or, thanks to your review, a 641 size 48. I know Schott altered the 141 cut in 2009, making it about an inch longer in the back and adding a snap map pocket on the inside (in addition to the lining pocket). I think those features were not included in the 641, however. Does your jacket have an inside snap map pocket? What's the length on your jacket, from collar to bottom edge, if you don't mind me asking? I'm really contemplating and while I really love the soft and comfortable naked cowhide (I already own a 184sm in naked cowhide as well as a 118), I think it's time I check out the steerhide.

thanks again

thanks garzo. as per information that i believe gail (the schott spokesperson) gave, the 641 is built to the classic build of this jacket, while the 141 is a bit updated, which to me means widened out. she said in one posting that the arms were about an inch or so leaner in the 641, and the waist about an inch and a half smaller...this was per a size 42 that she was discussing. hope that helps.

my jacket is a 48 and has no inside pocket on the jacket, and is about 26.5" long in the back from collar seam to bottom. the leather, though it sounds tough being called steerhide, is buttery, lush, and not at all hard. however it looks tough and strong. it does drape like thick leather, not like goatskin or thin leather on g-1 or a-2 jackets.

it's a dream jacket and anyone who loves motorcycle jackets needs to get it. i do like it better than the aero highwayman thick leather i had for awhile. i wouldn't dare say it's better, but it's lighter while looking heavier, and off the rack it has a leaner sharper look to my eye. schott finally put my review up on their website...it's titled 'greatest jacket in the world' at http://www.schottnyc.com/products/fabric/leather/single-rider-steerhide-leather-motorcycle.htm. as i say in the review, 'buy it'.

the best thing is that you can buy it right now off the rack and it should fit appropriately, and has adjustment on the waist of up to 3 or 4 more inches on the waist, which is already leaner per size than the 141. as a guide, i like my jackets a bit relaxed fit (see my pic of the 641 on me) and i take a stock 48. my chest is 45.5", my waist 34", and i wear a 42 suit jacket. i'd say it is, as the website states, a full size smaller than schott's normal sizes.

a note, there are many dealers who sell schott jackets for a hundred or so less. i'd check ebay and see who is selling brand new schotts, i recently saw a size 46 and a few others by the dealer who i bought this from. he didn't have it in stock, and i purchased it special order off ebay, but still only took 10 days to get to me including shipping from the day i paid. he ordered it from schott for me. just check the seller's feedback to make sure they are legitimately selling these.

good luck :D

garzo

One of the Regulars
Did you ever try on a 141? If you had decided on that version, you'd probably have taken a size 46, correct? I was originally thinking about getting the 141 in a 46 and am confident it would fit fine (if a bit roomy) but am wary of the 641 because I've read reports from a number of people who say they ordered one size up only to find that the jacket was way too big. I'm 5'11 and also have a chest size of 45.5 and about a size 35-36 waist. Up until now I've worn size 44 and 46 in most leather jackets depending on the fit and cut of the individual item. Ideally I'd like to try both the 141 and 641 on but that's a bit tough.

Nogo

New in Town
Does anyone know what year they started to make the armhole bigger for the 641? I just recently bought a brand new jacket but I'm very displeased with the giant armhole.. I know it was a lot narrower some years ago but I'm not sure when.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
i think the size 46 641 would fit me (i'm your size) but it would be snug, especially if worn with anything but a thin shirt. but it would likely fit. the 141 in a 46 should definitely fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana