Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet another introduction...

dtracy

New in Town
I've been lurking here for quite a while, and I though it was time I introduced myself. I originally visited just for the hats forum, but I quickly found other things of interest in other forums as well, such as old movies and drinks. What a great message board!

I've been wearing hats on and off since I was a kid, and I've always preferred fedora style over the more commonly available baseball cap/trucker hat and cowboy hat. I find that I get kind of dizzy when I'm out in the sun for long periods (heat exhaustion), so a hat is a necessity, on the weekends anyway (I work in a basement and ride my bike to work, so there's not much need or opportunity most days).

My collection currently consists of an oilskin Australian outback hat, a Panama hat which I wear on a fairly regular basis when it's not winter, and a Tilly for hiking etc. Departed are a straw cowboy hat and a fedora shaped thing that I used to wear in high school. I think it was made of wool, and it met it's end at a good party when my friend threw up in it. I washed it out, but it had shrunk, and I couldn't bear to wear it again anyway. I'm looking forward to getting some higher quality felt hats in a variety of styles.

Unfortunately for my hat habit, I moved to a city where the only hat's I've been able to find are cowboy hats or cheap costume hats. I may have to pick up some old cowboy hats and play with converting them to fedoras, like Dinerman did and like RBH did with his Wildcatter.

Anyway, I've enjoyed lurking and reading all the great hat material here, and I've especially enjoyed the hat pictures. There are some fine looking felts out there! Looking forward to posting more often...

- mch

RBH

Bartender
dtracy, glad you are here!!!!

This place is so much fun! It will not take long for you to feel right at home!

I will be glad to help you out if you try to convert a old western style, and this lounge is full of folks that will try to let you know about any # of vintage hats.
The thing is if you like it then its the style for you!!!!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge! You've joined a great group! RBH is an inspiration to many of us, "The Wildcatter" should be his new screen name! Looking forward to your posts!

dean

canucklehead

New in Town
Welcome!

As an ex-Calgarian myself (not by choice, but that's a different story. :mad:) I understand the frustration of seeing nothing but western hats in the stores. Ah well. You're in good hands with RBH and the rest. It's amazing how much I've learned since lurking here.

Anyway, again a warm welcome to ya.

-Mike

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
dtracy said:
My collection currently consists of an oilskin Australian outback hat, a Panama hat which I wear on a fairly regular basis when it's not winter, and a Tilly for hiking etc. Departed are a straw cowboy hat and a fedora shaped thing that I used to wear in high school. I think it was made of wool, and it met it's end at a good party when my friend threw up in it. I washed it out, but it had shrunk
I first read this as "stunk", which makes just as much sense...:p

Unfortunately for my hat habit, I moved to a city where the only hat's I've been able to find are cowboy hats or cheap costume hats. I may have to pick up some old cowboy hats and play with converting them to fedoras, like Dinerman did and like RBH did with his Wildcatter.
Is it true that if you wear a citified hat in Calgary, they shoot at your ankles and yell, "Dance, tenderfoot!" :D

Good to have you aboard, d. Nobody here will urp in your hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy