Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet Another My Custom Tailor Suit

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
suit2.jpg

"I met with Prince & Henry tonight and have ordered a 6 button Suit, I have asked him to increase the lapels from 4 1/2" to 5" he did not want to increase the shoulder size, and opted for a pale grey Plaid as it will go with more shirts and ties. He informed me that they have a wooden dummy of me back in Thailand (for Measurements), and I can just order on line and they will pull out the wooden dummy to work on!!"

nov08-charlied.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
100_1186.jpg

I make no claim to being an expert in vintage clothing, but I'll say that if I saw this photo in black-and-white, I would immediately assume it was taken in the '40s.

Looks good to me!

-Dave

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
David Conwill said:
100_1186.jpg

I make no claim to being an expert in vintage clothing, but I'll say that if I saw this photo in black-and-white, I would immediately assume it was taken in the '40s.

Looks good to me!

-Dave
1001186t.jpg

[huh]

LordBest

Practically Family
The modern brickwork doesn't help, either.

I like the suit though. I'd go for a shorter jacket myself, anything over 29 inches makes my legs look stubby. Rather, stubbier than they actually are.

LordBest

Practically Family
The size, shape, texture, colour and mortar all say modern brickwork to me. I don't see any expansion gaps so it might be older than ten years, unless American bricks are different to Australian bricks and don't need expansion gaps. I'm don't know how I picked up this knowledge of brickwork, I am vaguely ashamed of it. I shall blame my interest in traditional architecture and the study of material culture in my archaeology course

David Conwill said:
I see it, but I guess I can't tell what makes it noticibly modern. The sharp edges of the bricks themselves?

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
LordBest said:
I'm don't know how I picked up this knowledge of brickwork, I am vaguely ashamed of it.

Gosh, I was impressed. I share your interest in traditional architecture, and wish I was better at picking up and naming the various aspects of period construction techniques.

Currently I mostly operate on a “I know it when I see it” basis.

-Dave

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Don't mean to hijack

I was on the My Custom Tailor site last night, and I was trying to pick fabrics for their classic "vintage style" 3-piece single-breasted suit. I'm trying to replicate one of the 30s-40s ad pictures that's up in the Big Sticky section, a light gray/blue with a window pane check. Something like that doesn't seem to be listed for this suit, but I think they'll make it with any fabric they have. Is anyone familiar with their fabric selection?

-Max

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Arm holes

Very nice.

Dave and Binkie - did you guys have to specify the size of the armholes, or did they come relatively close from the website?

-Max

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Love the...

…the high gorge and overall look. Hard to get a feel for it with you leaning over. Can you tripod your camera or get a volunteer to shoot some pics? I’d love to see some overall shots and some with your arms raised to see the effect of the high armholes.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Early in this thread Kilo November mentioned that he had stressed to "Prince Henry Tailors" that he wanted high arm holes, so when I met with PH here in Australia on their world tour they remembered him, and said they would do the same for me, I will try to get some better pics today, the only thing they forgot was the Suspender/Braces buttons"

http://www.princehenry.biz/world-tour.html

Rat Pack

One of the Regulars
Loved going to Hong Kong tailors as a Navy guy years (decades?) ago.

When broke you would walk to the tailor shops and look at fabric samples, because every sample came with a free beer, and all the shops were on the same street.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112