Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yogi Berra

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I met Yogi Berra. He's a very nice fellow. He didn't say anything memorable though. I rode in the back of the car with him from The Cherry Hill Mall to Vets Stadium. -Sort of an odd footnote in my life.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
I met Yogi Berra. He's a very nice fellow. He didn't say anything memorable though. I rode in the back of the car with him from The Cherry Hill Mall to Vets Stadium. -Sort of an odd footnote in my life.

That's great! Hemingway, was he sleeping? lol Actually, I'm a big Yogi fan. Those Yankee teams were full of characters.

I highly recommend the book, "The Summer of '49" if you're a baseball fan and have an appreciation for history.

Steve

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I met Yogi at the bar at Mickey Mantles around ten years ago. We made small talk for a few minutes before his son showed up and they took a table. I recall that he was a very friendly fellow but what really sticks out in my memory was when he got off the bar stool............He was so short. :eusa_doh:

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
Surprisingly, his two older brother were considered better ballplayers but their father wouldn't let them play professionally. He wanted them to go to work. Only after Yogi was contacted by the Yankees did the brothers ask, and get the fathers permission, for Yogi to play professional baseball.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I read Joe Garagiola's book "Baseball is a Funny Game" when I was a kid. It's full of Yogi-isms. They were watching a movie with Tarzan swinging through trees, with pigmies shooting at him with blow guns underneath. Yogi whispers to Joe "Hey Joe. What if those guys inhaled?"
The Yankees were at spring training in Florida. They saw a "Pirate Ship" with the Jolly Roger. Whitey Ford asked Yogi what the flag meant. He said "Iodine!"
Other great quotes: "Bill Dickie is learning me all his experiences."
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"I'd like to thank everybody who made this event necessary."
Yogi also has a bio called "I really Didn't Say Everything I Said".
But I think he really did.
For you Europeans, Yogi Berra was the catcher for the New York Yankees baseball team from 1947 till about 1963. He won ten championships in 17 years. He was a great ballplayer, but had his own version of the English language. He's still around and still much beloved.
We now need a thread of Casey Stengal-isms.
Joe DiMaggio always said his older brother Tom was a better player, too. We'll never know.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
In the 50's Mickey Mantle lived in a house on the street where I currenty live and commuted into NYC. My friend from town grew up here and was about ten at the time. He always played with Mickey's kids and said that a big black Buick would pull up to the house to pick up Mickey for the games. Hank Bauer was the driver and Yogi was always in the car with either Billy Martin or Whitey Ford. They usually had to wait for Mickey so one day Yogi got out of the car and said to my friend " let me see your glove". He could barely put it on his hand but he played catch with my friend until Mickey was ready. Not many people can say they played catch with Yogi Berra and got hitting instructions from Micker Mantle.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Tommy Fedora said:
In the 50's Mickey Mantle lived in a house on the street where I currenty live and commuted into NYC. My friend from town grew up here and was about ten at the time. He always played with Mickey's kids and said that a big black Buick would pull up to the house to pick up Mickey for the games. Hank Bauer was the driver and Yogi was always in the car with either Billy Martin or Whitey Ford. They usually had to wait for Mickey so one day Yogi got out of the car and said to my friend " let me see your glove". He could barely put it on his hand but he played catch with my friend until Mickey was ready. Not many people can say they played catch with Yogi Berra and got hitting instructions from Micker Mantle.

Much appreciated story. Although, I'm much too young to have experienced those Yankee days. I saw the movie 61*, which I thought was great, so that's where I draw my information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran