Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your beauty mistakes

Oleander

New in Town
Hi,

I don't know if it was a beauty mistake, probably more of a fashion mistake. In any case, I cringe at just the thought of it:

a cowgirl hat.

:eek:

Love,
Oleander

Juliet

A-List Customer
Acrylics - lasted a week, and did not look nice. I learned since then, that dietary supplements are a much better way to nice nails! :D
My fashion sense as a teenager - ugh!
I don't know about cutting my hair. Although it was long, and I missed it two days later, that kind of started me on a journey of self-realisation. (Through about 12 haircolours....)
Once, when my stylist, was sick, I took the replacement option - NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
What about things you thought were great at the time or would work then turned out not to be such a good idea.
Will any one confess I do not know.:D

My regrets are less historical and more current: Fragrance samples! I'll try something that seems appealing, or sultry or sensuous in the bottle and within 15-minutes, I generally can't stand the smell of myself. And it seems that no amount of soap and water will dissipate the offending scent.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My regrets are less historical and more current: Fragrance samples! I'll try something that seems appealing, or sultry or sensuous in the bottle and within 15-minutes, I generally can't stand the smell of myself. And it seems that no amount of soap and water will dissipate the offending scent.

Rubbing alcohol can help. Rub it all over the afflicted areas, and then wash with soap and water. Also a good trick if you over spray yourself. My mother and I once over sprayed ourselves with several samples in a drug store, and this is the only thing that saved us from the putrid smell.

Ok, beauty mistakes: Not wearing lipstick sooner. Not figuring how to paint my nails for a long time and having them look hideous everytime I did it. I used to crimp and spiral my hair in grade school and middle school (thank you 1980s and early 90s). Letting my friends give me makeovers in which I came out with too much gel in my hair and way too much makeup on my face, normally before a school dance so that there is photographic evidence. (Thank you facebook for reminding me of how bad I looked for the 8th grade semi-formal.)

carmine

New in Town
Hair is just the perfect playground for beauty mistakes: your luscious locks or your eyebrows, I don't know if anyone can avoid a mistake with one or the other. Or both. At least it's good to know we've all suffered through them, thanks for admitting to them ladies!

Some of my many:
- eyebrows: didn't do anything to them and then did far too much (removed, dyed, bleached etc) and now treat them gently and as my apology
- hair: first never cut, then cut too much, then black, then bleached to jelly, dyed then went through it over and over and now...yep, treated gently as my apology

Basically I'm over the moon that have hair or eyebrows left.

Has anyone else bleached their hair to a jelly consistency? Or was I just 'lucky'?

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I have many, but I think my crowning glory (no pun intended) was a hair-dye disaster when I was 14:

I am naturally dark blond, and one day I decided I wanted dark brown hair. Bought some dye and did it, and it looked great. About a month later I decided I wanted it WHITE blond. Of course, I was 14, I knew better than my parents or anyone else, so my poor mother dutifully slapped on the dye.

My half-inch of regrowth turned white and the rest of my hair turned ginger. And that's not the worst of it. When that started to grow out, I had my natural dark blond regrowth, a stripe of yellowy-white where the dyed regrowth was, and the rest of my hair was ginger. If you think puberty in school is hard, try having hair like that. :)

The cost of in-salon correction was enough to make me get my first-ever job. Yes, I worked solely for the purpose of having 'normal' hair again. Never mind that they ended up giving me some disgusting blond highlights, that when I look back were almost as bad (!), but that one experience taught me to know my limits when it comes to home dyeing!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
(Thank you facebook for reminding me of how bad I looked for the 8th grade semi-formal.)

..one of the reasons why I still say NO to facebook. ;)

Mine (so far... there'll probably be more.. [huh] ):
1. Eyebrows: too much plucked, not plucked at all.. and not groomed.
2. Hair. (Who am I kidding.. my hair is still BAD.) Permed it some years back.. than removed the perm by shaving the head..
@carmine:
Try going out with friend looking like a Skinhead-wannabe! ;)
3. Believing one or two of my friends that what they wear is GREAT. No, it's not. Trust me, I looked so ordinary, it hurt me.
4. Refusing lipstick. Lipstick is a MUST! :)

I used to hate my curly hair so much that I had it all cut off into a boy cut... at one point I even had a mohawk in it, inspired by none other than David Beckham.

This was followed by a phase of crazy Goth liquid eyeliner; I was particularly fond of asymmetric styles with detail such as stars at the sides of my eyes.

It also took me a long time to accept that I just didn't look nice in the same clothes as my friends, and that it was better to just give up trying to find jeans that I looked nice in.

I think the best beauty moment of my life was when I first got contact lenses - I HATE wearing my glasses. I don't have a "glasses-face", but I unfortunately have bad eyesight to go with it!

Flicka

One Too Many
Not my mistake, but I had horrible hair as a teenager. When I hit puberty it turned super-curly but only on top of my head. I had short hair at the time and for 3 years it didn't get longer, simply bigger. Huge microphone head with straight hair at the back. Finally it grew out and turned into beautiful lucious Rita Hayworth hair. For a year. Then I started taking birth control pills and my hair went back to being straight. When I stopped taking them, hello super-curls! The past 3 years I've taken hormones because of acne, and what do you know. Straight hair again. Now I just stopped taking them so I'm curious to see if the curls come back. Really weird.

I'm guilty of using very dark lipliner in the 90s. And if anyone looks at my twitter account, you'll find me in my goth phase: http://twitter.com/felicia_lind Not a good look for me...

Emily the Storyteller

New in Town
Not my mistake, but I had horrible hair as a teenager. When I hit puberty it turned super-curly but only on top of my head. I had short hair at the time and for 3 years it didn't get longer, simply bigger. Huge microphone head with straight hair at the back. Finally it grew out and turned into beautiful lucious Rita Hayworth hair. For a year. Then I started taking birth control pills and my hair went back to being straight. When I stopped taking them, hello super-curls! The past 3 years I've taken hormones because of acne, and what do you know. Straight hair again. Now I just stopped taking them so I'm curious to see if the curls come back. Really weird.

Same here! My hair turned super-ringlets-curly at about 13, and has gradually been growing out slightly straighter. You've now made me curious as to what will happen if I ever go on birth control...

Oh, and orange lipstick. Not coral, orange. Hideously unflattering on teeth that have even the slightest hint of yellow, and just totally against my skintone... not a good look.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Too much face powder in way too light of a shade. I probably looked like a mortician applied my makeup. I use just a fine dusting of powder now.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I'm a matte-skin lover, too! I know most of the magazines nowadays tout the "dewy" look, but I'm in Texas where it is regularly 110F for 30-45 days straight during the summer. If your face is "dewy" it means you've been out in the heat too long. :lol:

Stray Cat

One look I will not be doing any time soon: "dewy" look. :)

I remembered another one: wearing eyeliner all around my eyes. You see, I tried to look mysterious; what I managed is to make my eyes almost invisible. That's what happens with deep set eyes.. NOW I know that.. at the time I attempted "mystery gaze".. I didn't. :brick:

Caroline H

Familiar Face
My most spectacular mistake started out with blonde, just above the shoulder hair. I looked really good that way, but then I decided to grow it long. I kept going to the salon to keep the blonde though, so as she continued to color the roots and the length crept longer and longer, my mother tells me I ended up looking like I had this glowing halo of lighter and lighter hair shading to brassy as it went down the length. So then I decided I really wanted all that already color damaged hair (now down to the middle of my back) to be auburn. I'm sure my hairdresser should have know better, but we had been friends since 7th grade, so I think she figured if that was what I wanted she'd just give it a try. It turned MAUVE! :eeek: It might have been a nice color for a sweater, but it wasn't a nice color for a receptionist! So she tried again. We worked on it until we gave up about 10:00pm that night and achieved Burgundy. :cry: I was up half the night trying various hats and scarves to cover it up. My husband came home from work (2nd shift) and saw what I was doing and told me it wouldn't work. It was obvious I was trying to cover up my hair! I had to go to work that way and met the office manager in the parking lot, pointed to my head and said "it's burgundy! can I please go get something done about this before anyone else sees me" She told me hers had turned navy once and let me go do what I needed to do. Back to the salon I went and this time we just put a very dark brown semi-permanent rinse on top of everything so it was almost black. I went back to work with something that was at least a color that exists in nature. It was so damaged that it took several days to dry when I washed it so I was back within a week for my first ever really short haircut! (Sorry this was so long!)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I remembered another one: wearing eyeliner all around my eyes. You see, I tried to look mysterious; what I managed is to make my eyes almost invisible. That's what happens with deep set eyes.. NOW I know that.. at the time I attempted "mystery gaze".. I didn't. :brick:

I think that quite possibly the only person on earth who can pull that look off is Duchess Catherine. :lol:

My most spectacular mistake started out with blonde, just above the shoulder hair. I looked really good that way, but then I decided to grow it long. I kept going to the salon to keep the blonde though, so as she continued to color the roots and the length crept longer and longer, my mother tells me I ended up looking like I had this glowing halo of lighter and lighter hair shading to brassy as it went down the length. So then I decided I really wanted all that already color damaged hair (now down to the middle of my back) to be auburn. I'm sure my hairdresser should have know better, but we had been friends since 7th grade, so I think she figured if that was what I wanted she'd just give it a try. It turned MAUVE! :eeek: It might have been a nice color for a sweater, but it wasn't a nice color for a receptionist! So she tried again. We worked on it until we gave up about 10:00pm that night and achieved Burgundy. :cry: I was up half the night trying various hats and scarves to cover it up. My husband came home from work (2nd shift) and saw what I was doing and told me it wouldn't work. It was obvious I was trying to cover up my hair! I had to go to work that way and met the office manager in the parking lot, pointed to my head and said "it's burgundy! can I please go get something done about this before anyone else sees me" She told me hers had turned navy once and let me go do what I needed to do. Back to the salon I went and this time we just put a very dark brown semi-permanent rinse on top of everything so it was almost black. I went back to work with something that was at least a color that exists in nature. It was so damaged that it took several days to dry when I washed it so I was back within a week for my first ever really short haircut! (Sorry this was so long!)

I think we've all had the late-night color mishap! Once I had to come to work with my hair banana yellow. I'm a natural medium auburn. :lol:

Stray Cat

I think that quite possibly the only person on earth who can pull that look off is Duchess Catherine. :lol:

There's one lady most of us would like to be. :)

As for mistakes go....
I had a bad couple days, so yesterday I went into my "oh, I do hate my hair!" state of mind.
My hair is:
1. Thin and short.
2. Hasn't got ANY volume
and 3. Due to cold (hat is a MUST) gets flat, shapeless and just lies there, like a dead animal. *yucky*

..so I got a PERM. :)
(will it be a mistake, like my previous perm?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner