Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Sandwiches?

olive bleu

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
If you remember a sandwich after ten years then that is a sandwich. :D
Gee, I guess I won't mention when I make salami sandwiches at home that get to be about 6 inches high. :D

Regards,

J
yup... that would be my kind of sandwich...all this talk about meat..it could make a girl forget her principles:p you know when i occasionally miss the life of a carnivore, i never long for a piece of turkey or steak,but wave a piece of pastrami in front of me..or Genoa salami, mortadella, montreal smoked meat anything packed with sodium nitrates..[bad]

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
i am also a vegetarian however watching the superbowl in the year 2002 when i still ate meat i made a sandiwhich that knocked my socks off and i was never able to replicate again. It was french bread with a layer first of pepperjack cheese, jalapeno peppers, submarine sauce, mustard, real mayyonaise, thin slices of onion and layers of pastrami. took me like an hour to eat the thing :) fond memories

B A C O N !

MAny former carnivors say bacon is tuff to give up too.:eek:

olive bleu said:
yup... that would be my kind of sandwich...all this talk about meat..it could make a girl forget her principles:p you know when i occasionally miss the life of a carnivore, i never long for a piece of turkey or steak,but wave a piece of pastrami in front of me..or Genoa salami, mortadella, montreal smoked meat anything packed with sodium nitrates..[bad]

olive bleu said:

I could never give up meat but I sure could give up a lot of vegetables---especially the green ones grown with lots of manure. PU. :eek:
Since I am a charter member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) it makes sense though. :p

Regards,

J

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
According to my wife...

the best sandwich ever is the peacemaker at Uglesich's in New Orleans. Me- I'm partial to the Debris Po-Boy at Mother's, on the corner of Poydras and Tchopitoulas. Don't know if they're still there post-Katrina, but both places made a darn fine sandwich.

Laissez les bon temps...

RC

RedPop4

One Too Many
Yes I have, many times. My best friend is a Tusa, cousin to the Tusa family that runs Central Grocery Store, where the muffaletta was "invented." More likely someone asked for whatever the storekeeper was eating. There were many Sicilian dock workers in the area as well as Sicilian truck farmers bringing their produce to the French Market across the street.

It was intended ot be a filling, inexpensive lunch, like the Poor Boy came to be in later years. The muffaletta gets its name from the soft, round Italian bread on which the sandwich is built with its layers of ham (preferrably prosicutto) salami, mortadella, cheese and olive salad. The olive salad wsa, initially, just the broken olives from the bottom of the barrel and was a nice way to make a few extra pennies on what would be considered detritus, although tasty detritus. Instead they spooned it onto the sandwich for more flavor.

The muffaletta was intended to be served cold, as heating it makes the salami, ham and mortadella TOO greasy. The only moisture should come from the olive salad which should be spooned on at the last possible moment.

Central Grocery is a wonder and an anachronism, I enjoy the rare visits I make there, and try to buy SOMETHING besides a sandwich when I go there, usually hunks of parmesean and romana cheeses.

They do not, however, make the best muffaletta anymore, the tourist business and their reputation has ruined their sandwiches. The best is at another Italian/Imort grocery located in suburban Old Metairie about five to eight minutes drive from the end of Canal Street at City Park Avenue.

It's called the Nor-Joe Import Co. They have a regular and a deluxe muffaletta, and they do not slice ANYTHING until you order your sandwich, it takes about ten minutes if no one else is in line ahead of you. Worth every penny, although with sandwiches reaching $10 per, they're not the bargain they were at a nickel apiece when first sold 100 years ago.

RedPop4

One Too Many
It's properly/improperly called a "muff-uh-lotta" in New Orleans botched Italian.
Moof-a-letta is the proper Italian pronunciation, however, in New Orleans, we pride ourselves on our mispronunciations/integration of all languages and cultures into our special local lexicon.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Yes, indeed!

Haven't had a "Muff" since I left New Orleans in 1995 (it doesn't feel like that long ago). Great sandwich- and back then we always went to Central Grocery.

New Orleans also had this wonderful "crawfish bread" that they sold at the Jazzfest. It too was pretty tasty.

RC

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
My favorite is a good old classic NC cheeseburger. It has real beef patty, cheese, mustard, meat chili without beans, chopped yellow or white onions, and good cole slaw. It is hard to beat. Our hotdogs are done the same way. I also enjoy a good potted meat sandwich with mayonaise.

Gray Ghost

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Among my favorites in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

#1 Hot Sausage, Red Sauce, Hot Peppers, Hard Roll. King Gyros.

#2 Genoa, Capicola, Onions, Red Sauce, Mozz Cheese, Pepperidge Farms French Bread baked at high heat for a while. McKinnie Pizza, Lexy's Pizza, any of the Greek/Hungarian Pizzerias in town.

#3 Carne Asada, Fresh Onion, Avacado, Tomato, Tomatillo/Jalapeno Sauce, Grilled French Bread. Taqueria Coahuila.

#4 Sliders- small hamburger heat-blasted with Onions and processed cheese. Ketchup, mustard. Powers Hamburgers.

Manta, Ecuador- Hamburger with green stuff in it, ham, cheese and egg on bun.

Montecristi, Ecuador- No sandwiches, but a heckuva Seco de carne, pollo, pescado, whatever you 'd like.

Cuenca, Ecuador- Any sandwich from New York Pizza.

Quito, Ecuador- I'm partial to the plain toasted cheese that you can buy on the street corner. Also, the pork sandwiches near the park.

melankomas

One of the Regulars
the best sandwiches i've ever had were bagels and lox, made on a friend's iron in the barracks. we had two irons between us; mine was used as intended, and his was a bit of a kitchen when the mess hall fell short. i had never had bagels and lox before. i have since, but it never tastes quite as delicious as it did fresh from my friend's iron.

Brooksie

One Too Many
This thread is making me hungry!!!!

One of my favorite sandwhiches is from a restarant over here on the coast called the Riverhouse the sandwhich is called everything but the kitchen sink and it is:
Turkey, avocado, sprouts, bacon, cream cheese, cucumber, onion and mayo and I like mine on whole wheat bread. I hope I am not forgetting anything for it has been quite a while since I have had one.

*Hey Melankomas I think I have to agree with you my very favorite is: cream cheese, lox and bagel sandwhiches over at Noah's Bagels. I like the bagel toasted, with capers and a slice of onion on it also.

Brooksie

Barry

Practically Family
melankomas said:
the best sandwiches i've ever had were bagels and lox, made on a friend's iron in the barracks.

That reminds me... Years ago I made sandwiches with bread and strawberry jelly (from toothpaste style tubes) on a military base in Israel. I did not serve in the military there - just stayed on a base for a bit. Also, they have a good chocolate spread. I cannot remember the name of that stuff but it was great. For a treat the soldiers would smear the chocolate spread and some halva on a slice of bread and "toast" it on a stove that was designed to heat the room.

Barry

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
I like tongue sandwiches. Discovered beef tongue in Chile; absolutely delicious..

You can always ask Underwood to bring back a vintage product.:eek:
ScreenShot001_filtered.jpg

Steve

Practically Family
There is a small Greek restaurant in town that makes some excellent sandwiches; all on pita bread and served with olive oil. This little eatery if very special to me, as my late grandmother was close friends with the owner. The owner himself, Stavros, is your stereotypical big fat Greek, and his sandwiches are amazing. My favorite is the Zeus Special: three or four meats, feta cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and Mediterranean-style olive salad, between homemade pita slices. At first glance, you think you can't get your mouth around it, but I always find a way. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ