Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your First Fedora

I had a few cheap wool hats while I was growing up (none of them fedoras), but none of the men in my family ever wore hats. As such my first real hat, an Akubra Fed IV, was purchased in 2008. I've always liked fedoras, but never really felt they were right for me until then; I suppose you could say I had to age into becoming a hat wearer.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Well, my first one I bought was a flat black trilby from Target. I have a black felt trilby also from Target. Right now, I'm sporting a Jaxon Pinch Crown in grey and I love it.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first Fedora was a black Christy's fur-felt one, purchased from a long vanished gentleman's outfitters in Canterbury, around 1990 ish. It shrunk a bit from getting soaked through when I wore it through a Welsh winter.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
My first fedora was bought on a whim after seeing a guy around town. I had always loved vintage culture and thought I would give it a go. I HATED my first fedora and almost stopped wearing them. It took the lounge and really matching what styles fit me to find the right hat. My first was a Hats in the Belfry "Gangster" lol model in black wool. My first real one was a Stetson Saxon that I also hated lol. The first fur hat hat I thought looked awesome one me was a Borsalino Torino

jimjr

New in Town
Gents, Any suggestions on how to best match a hat to one's build. If a guy's body were short and fat vs long and lean how to know which style fedora to try, high crown/wide brim, lower crown/short brim

highway66blues

One of the Regulars
My first was a thrift find and I could NOT believe it when I did find it.
Was completely by accident at my local St. Vincent de Paul store.
No box,just a (and i wasn't aware of what exactly it was at the time)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96251424@N02/9180086811/

'40's Stetson Playboy.

...was much cleaner at the time of the find. A bit sweat stained now BUT, I'm huntin' down a local cleaners that has the equip to PROPERLY clean a good hat.
Shameful,I know. But I don't have a something ? That's coz I don't need it or cannot use it.
I do Not wear it for work (flat cap for that), To work- yes for or at any kinda work - No

I want a brown one now.

highway66blues

One of the Regulars
Yeah, i hear ya. Me Niether.
I keep lookin' for more...never know...
That's what's funn about goin' to those stores...it's a constantly changin' "stock"

Wanna find me a brown 3 pc like cvpd posted a while back to go with it.

Last edited:

Luscombe

New in Town
My first hat was a Pendelton wool Indy type fedora. Bought it in St Ignace, MI around 91. Wife loved the way it looked but I never got used to it. I still have it. My dad always wore a stingy brim felt fedora. I always liked the way it looked on him. Sometimes he wore a baseball cap, but not often. it looked weird on him. The Fedora was much too small for my noggin. Not sure what happened to it.

Couple years ago I bought a Tilly for a fishing trip to Alaska. It worked well.

Last year about this time I found TFL and it has been a slippery slope.
Since then I have acquired a few fedoras and enjoy wearing them. I have an in between size head so standard sizes don't fit well. My first quality Fedora was a custom John Pellman Indy followed by a Tumwater custom. Both hats fit perfectly. I'm hooked now!

Also have a straw Panama for the summertime.

My first hat huh? Well, I had a Henschel leather safari hat. It was horrible! I live in Guam and the heat is absolutely ridiculous but combine that with a leather hat and that just kills your scalp.

earl

A-List Customer
About 30 years ago bought a 1940's Lee fedora in great shape at a Goodwill for $2. Never found another fedora in a thrift store since then. 1 year ago bought my second fedora new @ Hatman Jack's in Wichita. Earl

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
My very first hat ever was a dark grey Dobbs Homburg that my grandfather had left me. He knew I loved Indiana Jones as a child, so he gave me his favorite hat when he passed. I was 5 and too young to appreciate it at the time, although I loved the hat and I always wanted to take good care of it. I left it in the Dobbs box, where it still remains. I still take it out and wear it occasionally, but it's such a nice hat I never want to ruin it.

O'Sully

Familiar Face
My wife bought me a PB indy custom ten years ago for our wedding anniversary.
It probably could use a clean and a reblock at this point but it has been one tough hat.

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
My first fedora was a steel grey Biltmore Rosellini was bought from a gentleman that orginally purchased in 1968. He used it only 3 times and sold it to me for a very good price. It still remains my favourite hat.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My first fedora of any type was a woolie that I bought right after I saw Raiders. It was a brown no-name. This was followed by black, and then tan woolies. Each of these was about $20.

My first fur fedora was purchased in the late '80s. It was a brown Stetson Chatham that I bought at JJ Hat Center in NYC. It cost me all of $35 brand new.

For some reason I sold it here a couple of years ago, and am sorry I did.

Not my first fedora, but one of the first I purchased from eBay and one of my first posts to the WHAYWT thread. It was advertised as a 1930s Borsalino and I fell hook, line and sinker. It was (is) a Borsalino.

borso120310.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
My first fedora was a no-name brown woolie that I found at a yard sale about 2 years ago. I wore only baseball caps before that. I wear all fur felt now, but I still bust it out for fishing mostly becauseI don't mind if it gets dirtier or smells of old bait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner