Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your golden-era model railroads!

p51

One Too Many
On Friday a good friend of mine got a huge batch of letters from railroads from a guy in the 40s who wrote to railroads all over the country asking for timetables. Among them was a 1942-dated letter from the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina. Better still, it says enclosed was timetable number 119 from 1940. in an amazing coincidence, I HAVE one of those! So once Robert gave me to the letter, I had to place them side-by-side:

52709196684_c58e60044a_z.jpg

p51

One Too Many
Just got this in the mail today:
52827964661_a9f50ea9bd_c.jpg

I had no idea this was coming. This was one of two proposed cover shots I'd sent them last year with an article on my layout. The editor chose what I agreed was the best of the two but said he liked this one as well and would use it later.
This issue has no layout article, so it makes sense and I'm glad it wasn't used instead of someone's layout photo from the inside of the issue!
I'm going to get another copy, chop the cover off it and hang it on the wall with some of my other magazine appearances.

p51

One Too Many
Over the weekend, I put up the original builder's plate for an Army ALCO S2 locomotive on the wall of the layout room, which fits in with the layout's timeframe:
52879508044_43564a26b7_c.jpg

Then, I cut the cover off a copy of O Scale trains with my newest cover, and added it to the 'wall of fame':
52879721765_31651d93eb_c.jpg

p51

One Too Many
The NMRA 4th region convention was last week. It was a nice event, I gave a presentation on military railroad operations for model railroads.
52896374128_c804480621_c.jpg

I also won third place overall for the photo contest. They combined the real and model photos and mine was the only model photo to place.
This is the original photo:
52342960562_6b88a72d72_c.jpg

p51

One Too Many
It's been a bad couple of weeks for me and I'm just in a place where I can post about it.
My parents were both born in 1936, and well into their 30s when I was born. They had all the types of issues you expect from people past their mid-80s.
Dad got sick, went to the hospital, got COVID along the way (the hospital and the assisted living place are pointing at each other as to how he got it) and from those complications, he passed away on June 6. I find that date ironic as I've always been into military history and June 6 will never again be mainly the anniversary of the Normandy Landings in 1944..
I DO NOT want a bunch of responses to this or platitudes. I've got more of that than I could ever use at this point.
Dad was not only a great man (kind, funny, and the smartest person I've ever known), he was finest craftsman. In the 60s, he built a Civil War cannon (a M1841 6-pounder) that we re-enacted with into the 1990s.
52972897950_42ccaf0eee_c.jpg

Other than the barrel (the only thing he couldn't cast), he made every single piece of it, and anything that could be bronze, he made it as such. He couldn't bring himself to paint it after making those wheels.
He also built several cannon models, and this 1/6 scale James Rifle appeared in Finescale Modeler from this series of photos I took of it.
52972973948_f114b30f52_c.jpg

52972655709_8f7985c373_c.jpg

As for how this factors into my layout, Dad's last gun barrel is on my layout. I wanted a memorial on my layout to that unpleasantness in the 1860s (some Southerners call it, "The War of Northern Aggression,
but East Tennessee was quite pro-Union during that timeframe, something I bet they're proud of in a PC-centric world). He said he only needed to know what kind of gun barrel and scale I wanted. As I know the types, I said I wanted a 12-pounder 'Napoleon' in 1/48 scale, and it showed up in the mail about a week or so later. I jokingly said he didn't drill the vent at the back, which would be smaller than a tiny fraction of the diameter of a human hair. He thought that response was funny.
34893795961_07149bcb6d_c.jpg

I made the pedestal, and I still can't bring myself to weather it as it'd look (all such bronze barrels outside are oxidized in green unless someone polishes them regularly).

I just wish he'd been able to see the layout. I miss you, Dad.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I have definitely enjoyed this thread. Just getting started back into model railroading [N scale] and using the Gorre & Daphetid as my inspiration.

Reactions: p51

p51

One Too Many
I recently got the digital proof for my article for the Kalmbach 2024 Model Railroad Planning Annual complete with Model Railroader-produced track plan. That was surreal to me to see that as I never thought I'd see my own layout in one of their trackplans.
I assume it'll be out in December or January. That'll really be special for me, as I think most in the hobby know how hard it is to get into any Model Railroader publication.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner