Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Labor Day Plans?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'm going to think about those who gave their health, their freedom and even their lives to improve the lot of American workers. Eugene V. Debs comes to mind.

Why don't we give Labor Day the same respect that we give to Memorial Day, or Veterans' Day? Why doesn't the United States have its own May Day, like so many other countries do?

Haversack

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier wrote:
"Why don't we give Labor Day the same respect that we give to Memorial Day, or Veterans' Day?"

We used to. Parades and everything. Also, in a lot of the big city newspapers, what is now just the Business Section, used to be the Business and Labor Section.

Haversack.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Since the weather's finally warming back up again around here, I will for sure be doing some bbq'ing :D I really don't have any definete plans made, I just want to relax, maybe do some yard work [huh]

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Marc Chevalier said:
I'm going to think about those who gave their health, their freedom and even their lives to improve the lot of American workers. Eugene V. Debs comes to mind.

Why don't we give Labor Day the same respect that we give to Memorial Day, or Veterans' Day? Why doesn't the United States have its own May Day, like so many other countries do?

I think you're right. Since I'll be spending the day sewing for fun it would be good to think of all the women, men and children in the past who gaves their lives due to accidents or bad conditions for the garment industries. Especailly the women who died in the Triangel Shirtwaist Factory Fire

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

We are giving it respect, it's a holiday.:) This is our May Day.;)

I'm going to one of my cousin's wedding on Saturday. The other two days I'll just have to play it by ear.:eek:

Don't forget Dan Tobin of the Teamsters.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
I am not doing anything. Originally I had plans but they fell through. Company I work for was sold (very large portion of it), therefore I am lucky to still be with my company, instead of receiving notice that my employment is with the other company. Looks like I'll be using my 3 day weekend to look for another job and prepare for graduate school on Thursday.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sunday we're seeing the matinee of a friend's production of Annie out in the woods by Snoqualmie Falls. Not exactly a favorite, and have seen it more than a few times, but going as a show of support for a friend and the theatre. Between that and the evening show, we're going to have a picnic and grill things. What we're grillling, I still haven't a clue. Probably just opt for burgers, maybe start marinating some chicken breasts tomorrow after getting the final plans nailed down with our friends.

So, tomorrow, I'll be making potato salad & cole slaw. Probably some brownies and cookies as well. But since I have the house to myself from early morning till midnight, my big project is doing something I've never done before. Making fried chicken. I've baked and broiled and boiled and grilled chicken, but never fried. It's soaking over night in buttermilk. The plus with having the house to myself is that if it's a total disaster, I can dispose of it with nobody the wiser. And if it's really good, I've got it all to myself. And I think it's going to come out OK - just fear of the unknown. But I've got grandma's old cast iron skillet all scrubbed & re-seasoned. She said it was a wedding present which makes it right at 100 years old. Then the question is - have chicken with potato salad, or go the whole nine yards with smashed potatos and gravy and biscuits. I'm thinking the latter...

Rosie

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
So, tomorrow, I'll be making potato salad & cole slaw. Probably some brownies and cookies as well. But since I have the house to myself from early morning till midnight, my big project is doing something I've never done before. Making fried chicken. I've baked and broiled and boiled and grilled chicken, but never fried. It's soaking over night in buttermilk. The plus with having the house to myself is that if it's a total disaster, I can dispose of it with nobody the wiser. And if it's really good, I've got it all to myself. And I think it's going to come out OK - just fear of the unknown. But I've got grandma's old cast iron skillet all scrubbed & re-seasoned. She said it was a wedding present which makes it right at 100 years old. Then the question is - have chicken with potato salad, or go the whole nine yards with smashed potatos and gravy and biscuits. I'm thinking the latter...

I just fried chicken for the first time about two weeks ago. Even if you think it's done, cook it a little longer, I learned the hard way. lol Oh, and a tip from my mom, over season. Oh, and season the flour too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn