Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your opinion

Duck

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
The wide brim and short crown make them look too Trilbyish for my taste.
The back kickup is also a bit too high up and cup shaped. It needs to be flatter and not run into the snapped down point of the brim at the front.
J
I agree that the hat needs a taller crown, but the back kickup bothers me more. I like the tan color, but I think if the ribbon and the binding were a darker chocolate color it would be something special.
Keep up the good work. :eusa_clap Glad to see someone working on such a project.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice hats. Very "middle of the road". There is little I can add that has not already been said. The snap is a little to deep for my liking. I think the crown is fine the way it is, Most non-hat people I know don't like tall square crowns. Reminds me of the Tilley fedoars a bit.
Johnny

carter

I'll Lock Up
This is a sample of a hat we are working on and would like your opinion about the sty

I'd suggest taking a look at a Scala fedora that Original Headware (St. Cloud, MN) is offering at $79.95 in taupe and in black. I like the look of that hat with the very slight cup and the wider ribbon with more contrast to the hat color (in the taupe). The brim trim (on the Aaron) doesn't really appeal to me but I think that's just personal preference.
Considering your target demographic and price point, I'd suggest leaving the crown as is for reasons already mentioned.
I'd say you're on the right track.

duggap

Banned
Aaron, a lot of folks are wanting a higher crown on the hat, but for what you intend to do with it, ie a beginner hat, I think you may be on to something. It is kinda of like breaking them in. I know I didn't like the high crown when I first started wearing hats, now I wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck with the hat.

Bebop

Practically Family
I am not a big fan of high crowns. I am but my face isn't. I think it looks nicely balanced as far as brim-crown measurments. The grey would get me to open my wallet. A flatter brim would round out the hat nicely.

riflegunbuilder

New in Town
Like the hats. I'll have to add a vote for Diamond Crease. On the tan, I'd like it more if the binding wasn't so "brown" and closer to hat color; or it could be my monitor.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Making a felt hat today and retailing it for under 100.00 is a challange but its not impossible. There are a few manufacturers who can produce some less expensive hats that are decent for the money but most of them are foreign made. Biltmore has a lesser expensive line that we do very well with that is a great hat for the money . We also sell a line of hats from Selentino hat is made on the Czech republic that are decent. Unfortunately, the US companies have out priced themselves and are having a hard time competing with the Dorfmans and the Tonacks of the world.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

johnnycanuck

Has no one heard of Magill hats? Robert Hall hats?

http://magillhat.com/

Talking to the lady down at the hat shop here in Edmonton, Magillgets all there felt from Canada. Nice, cheep, $65 hats in most stores here.

Johnny

P.S. Keep in mind they only deal with retailers.

P.P.S. if I am not allowed to post this delete it with my apologies.

P.P.P.S. If a retailer uses this as a new product line hook up, I will gladly accept a finders fee.;)

Johnny

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I have heard of Magill hats. We dealt with them a few years ago .They made nice hats for the money but at the time because of Stetson , Biltmore and Bailey there was no need to buy from them . Today , because of huge price increases , they may be worth looking at again.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

feltfan

Dinerman said:
I've got a couple hats with stripes- which one were you thinking of?

IMG_3510.jpg

champ

I was thinking of the Champ. But all of them are good examples.
A bit of flash in the ribbon could sell a few hats. Not that I'm
suggesting a ribbon THAT wide. Works for your hat, but wouldn't
be appropriate for Aaron's design.

Nice bunch of lids there, Dinerman.

Undertow

Overall, I think that hat looks good. All suggestions seem decent so far.

I'm not sure a higher crown would be a good idea for a starter hat. I know when I started looking, I didn't particularly like higher crowns and I would likely have passed it up.

My suggestions are similar to others: less raise on the back (that's a big cup), maybe a wider ribbon, possibly a tighter pinch up front.

I think it's a good looking hat and hopefully trends start to really set in the direction of men's hatwear.

big kahuna

Familiar Face
Tony in Tarzana said:
I think there's a real need for a fur felt under $100, especially if it's available in bigger sizes.

I concurr..big sizes, please...(if you make em', they will buy):fedora: .

Perhaps, there could be ribbon choices for a slight increase in price...or does that defeat the purpose of a reasonable, mass-market hat??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters